Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 22, 2006, 8:29 PM   #1

What size is a 5000 byte photo?
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 22, 2006, 9:35 PM   #2

Not sure what you are asking ?

Digital photographs are typically measured in megapixels , the width in pixels x height in pixels, for example a 5mp image would be (roughly) 2560x1920

You can also describe the picture by the space it occupies on a disk or on a memory card.

The just over 5mps pictures taken by my H1 (jpeg) are around 2,200 KB (kilobytes) , or about 2.1MB (megabytes)

As each image can be taken with different compression (if jepgs) and each image can include more information or less eg a view of a forest vs a view of a blank wall, then there is no straight way to convert megapixels to Mega or Kilobytes except for the general rule, more pixels, bigger files.

And obviously a 5mp picture taken as a jpeg (compressed) is way smaller than the same 5mp picture saved as a RAW or Tiff file.

A file that is only 5000 bytes, is umm tiny, barely 4.9 Kilobytes

If you are asking how many pixels are in a 5000 byte photograph there is noI can tell you.

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 3:50 PM   #3

Well, the size of your dog avatar is 6463 bytes.

The gif of the Flag of the Government of N. Ireland is 15269 bytes
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 5:43 PM   #4

What should the photo size be at thoes bytes 3x2, 3x3 add on..
Old Aug 23, 2006, 6:16 PM   #5

What are you actually trying to do ?

Are you looking to create an avatar on some other forum ? Do you need to reduce a picture to that size or what ?

I am just wondering why the 5000 byte limit ?

Frankly a photo at 5000 bytes is virtually worthless and pointless to print out. You might get a 2x2 or 2x3 out of that , but it will look terrible close up.

Old Aug 23, 2006, 6:55 PM   #6

Yes that's what i am trying to do. It's to post a photo on a local forum classifieds. I e-mailed the company and they never got back with me. That's why I post for someone to help me.I did a 2x2, 2x3 and still to big of size to post. Sintares wrote:
Quote:
What are you actually trying to do ?

Are you looking to create an avatar on some other forum ? Do you need to reduce a picture to that size or what ?

I am just wondering why the 5000 byte limit ?

Frankly a photo at 5000 bytes is virtually worthless and pointless to print out. You might get a 2x2 or 2x3 out of that , but it will look terrible close up.

Old Aug 23, 2006, 8:45 PM   #7

Try resizing the image to a range of sizes, 200x200 pixels, 150x150 , 100x100 etc and then saving to jpeg under different levels of compression.

I presume you want the biggest clearest image with the least artifacting due to heavy compression, so its best if you experiment with various sizes and compression levels till you find one that you like.

Do remember to be careful and never save over the original !

You could also see if the forum takes other formats, gif, png etc and try saving to those to see what the sizes are.

Note some forums have both an image size limit in both bytes and pixels, this site for example has a limit for our avatars of 200x200 pixels, and 15Kb at most. So you may want to check with the forum you are creating the image for.