Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 24, 2006, 1:43 AM   #1

Hey all. I just got the S3 IS. Nice little camera. The thing is how do I change the lens? Do I have to remove the stock one that is on there exposing the ccd? Or is there like a connector I can use without exposing the ccd? I want to try different lens's but don't want to take the change of the ccd getting dusty. Thanks to all who answer.

Nick
jarablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2006, 4:10 AM   #2

The S3 IS is not a dslr, you cannot change lens.

You can however add a filter or a teleconverter/wide angle in front of the lens, by buying the optional adapter tube which attachesto the camera and then screwing the filter /tcon/wcon onto the end of that.

http://www.lensmateonline.com/newsite/S2.html
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 2:47 AM   #3

I am new to all these add ons. What would you rec for a newbie? I like the idea of that add on len to protect the zoom. Can I add on other lens to the protector type lens? Sorry for the newbishnish.
jarablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 8:17 AM   #4

What are you trying to accomplish?? What do you need the camera to do that it doesn't already do?? With the zoom range of your camera a wide angle lens would be the only helpful addition.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 10:46 AM   #5

The first addon for my H1 was a quality UV filter to attach to the adapter tube , that itself fits over the lens, my reason being the tube can protect the delicate lens mechanism from accidental knocks and the UV filter can protect the lens from flying dust or oil both from touching the lens surface or getting into the zoom workings.

I know the lens on the H1 is so high quality some people question the benefit of attaching another piece of glass infront of it, but I have only needed to clean the actual lens three times in over 12months and I think its worth it.

I guess the lens on the Canon is around the same quality as the Sonys so I would do all I could to keep it perfect.

The second addon for my H1 was a x1.7 tc, taking me out to 734mm and unlike a dslr , no stops of light are lost.

I just love zoom but yes, unless you are in the country a lot and find a use for a tc, then perhaps a wide angle might be better.

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote