Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 24, 2006, 2:29 AM   #1

Hi Pro...

Which brand do you prefer for CPL or UV filter ? :?
Nikon, B+W, Leica or HOya-HMC or ... others

Is it good and really can make a different result for those expensive filter ?
Pls share your opinion
thumbs_up is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2006, 6:13 PM   #2

I've had experience with Nikon, Canon, Pentax and Hoya CPL filters. Nikon is the toughest and has the most neutral tint. All CPL filters seem to have a greenish tint but Nikon has the least. The downside of the heavily built Nikon is its size - twice the mount thickness of the Hoya. I accidentally ran over my Nikon CPL with my my car and it's still usable!

Go to a camera shop and compare the tints against a piece of white paper before buying. I suppose the Hoya, which had the worst green tint, could be corrected in Photoshop.Excluding the tint, I think all the major brands of filters areoptically similar.

rodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 11:01 PM   #3

I have B+W and Hoya. I got 'em used off ebay.

Nikon, Hoya HMC, Heliopan and the like make some really good stuff -- especially the muliti-coated filters. Light transmission through multi-coated filters is better and internal ghosting is less than through non-coated or single layer-coated filters. But, would you notice any difference between a scene shot through a $150.00 Hoya Super HMC and a $40.00 single-coated Hoya or a $25.00 Tiffen? That would likely depend on what kind of photography you usually do. If you regularly only print out 4x6's, you probably would be hard pressed to find a real difference in image quality between the ultra-expensive filter and a modestly priced one. If you like to make big enlargements -- like 11x14 or larger -- then you might start seeing some difference. But then, is it $100.00 worth of difference? That depends on how fussy you are over image quality. If you are one of those people who look at every image for imperfections, then it might be worth it to you to get a really high-end filter. If you are more relaxed about not achieving pro quality in every shot, then you can get by with a single-coated, moderately priced filter.

If you have more than one lens, get a filter that will fit the lens with the largest filter thread. Then you can get a cheap step-down ring to fit the filter to your other lens(es).

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 10:58 AM   #4

I completely agree wtih Grant, and wanted to second his comments.
Unless you have very high standards and make large prints, you probably won't see the difference between a "medium" and "high" quality filter.

Personally, I have a hard time recommending a non-coated one. But that comes from the fact that I have very high standards and therefor have a hard time understanding it with people have very low standards.

I get B+W multi coated filters (I only own two filters total) and I'm very happy with them. I've heard good things about Hoya as well.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 2:45 AM   #5

Thank you for your comment.

Do appreciate that !

Who else ?
thumbs_up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 12:35 AM   #6

How about the Cokin "digital" filters? How do they fare? I'm looking for a CPL and a UV for my Sony DSC-H1 (58 mm size).

What would happen if I did use the Hoya? Being as it's the "most green" of the bunch? And would buying a Nikon filter be overkill for my prosumer camera?

Thanks.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 7:44 PM   #7

Hoya used to be a problem when I shot color slides, but with digital you should be able to counter the greenish tint with Photoshop or other image editor. And with the Nikon, there is still a slight tint, though a lot less.
rodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 8:43 PM   #8

rodmeister wrote:
Quote:
Hoya used to be a problem when I shot color slides, but with digital you should be able to counter the greenish tint with Photoshop or other image editor. And with the Nikon, there is still a slight tint, though a lot less.
Do all CPL filters put a tint on the image? Greenish or otherwise.

Sounds like the Nikon is one of the better choices if you must have a CPL filter. Any other good recommendations? How is the Cokin?
Old Sep 21, 2006, 3:38 PM   #9

None i have a hoya 55mm skylight filter. On my fuji s5600, but thats there to protect my lens. All my filters are done with photoshop, but for my 35mm Pentax Me Super I have the full range off the cokin filters and filter holder system....

the rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 6:27 PM   #10

the rock wrote:
Quote:
None i have a hoya 55mm skylight filter. On my fuji s5600, but thats there to protect my lens. All my filters are done with photoshop, but for my 35mm Pentax Me Super I have the full range off the cokin filters and filter holder system....

Thanks for your input. Haven't considered getting a skylight filter. As that would put an overall blue tint on the entire image. Don't want that. It's something I'd do using a photo editor. For now, all I really need is a ND filter for those overly bright days. A UV when there is a lot of haze. And a CPL filter to get a more saturated look and to shoot through windows if the opportunity presents itself. I think that's it.

Have you had any experience with Cokin's screw-in filters? I'm still curious to know if their CPL filters are neutral like Nikon's. Or if they put a green tint on the image like other brands (e.g. Hoya, B&W, Tiffen...etc.).

Again, this isn't urgent. I'll pick them up when I get around to it. But, I think I'll just start with a ND filter. Which brand I'm not sure yet.