Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 29, 2006, 1:14 PM   #11
Super Moderator

All the lens manufacturers make good and cheap lenses.

Tamron, Tokina, Sigma as 3rd parties make some cheap ones and their professional ranges too.

Nikon, Canon, Pentax and Olympus also make cheap lenses and expensive professional lenses.

Canon is the only manufacturer to make large-sensor cameras (in their professional ranges), all the others use smaller sensors for their entire range.

Unfortunately your requirement that you stay under $1000 and your wish for one really good lens are mutually exclusive. However you could get a pretty decent setup for that money.

The two lens kits on the Pentax K100D and the Olympus are fairly decent starters.

You could also go for the K100D ($620) and opt for a nicer lens Sigma 18-50 f2.8 ($410) is pretty close. And would be a nice combination. It's not brilliant for Macro, but with an extension tube or an additional purchase of the Sigma 70-300 APO ($220) you would have a very nice kit with something that, although not a true macro, will give you some very good close-ups.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 1:41 PM   #12

tmoreau wrote:
Quote:
There arent many [quality] lenses for DSLR's that start out very wide, Tamron 17-50 and Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 are the only real choices right now. Of course the "Kit lens" from each manufacturer would serve the same purpose for cheaper, with more compromises in close focus distance, speed, and quality.

I have a Tamron 20-40mm that falls a little short of the range you are mentioning, but actually does a nice job and is a decent quality lens in both optics and build quality. I paid new for that Tamron less than what it is selling for used. I find the 20mm is wide enough for my purposes so far. I would like to check out the 10-20mm Siga at some point, but I hate to spend to dollaron lenses.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 1:44 PM   #13

Ballpointpenner wrote:
Quote:
Because I am currently living in a mountain village, I`d like the ability to shoot landscapes and insects. Shooting people would be nice too. From this info, which lenses would you recommend for each of those cameras?

Warning: Shooting people may get you in big trouble

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 8:26 PM   #14

Earlier today I mentioned the high quality of the Pentax 50-200mm lens. To backup that statement up I wanted post a photo sample taken with that lens.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 9:00 PM   #15

Wow, thanks for all the answers, people. I wrote down all those names and will research them when I get the chance later this week.

- Bpp
Ballpointpenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 9:01 PM   #16

PS, another real basic question. What is a prime?
Ballpointpenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 11:20 PM   #17

Ballpointer-

A Prime Lens is a single focal length lens, that does not zoom through a variety of focal lengths.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 2:54 AM   #18

I want to say sorry to those Tamron or Sigma lens owners;

I shall take back my words about bad quality lens issues. Sigma makes very high quality (wide-angle) zoomlenses as well as I discovered today.

Regards.
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 8:54 AM   #19

I second the suggestion for a tamron 17-50 f2.8 lens. It is fantastic. It is true that the build quality of tamron and sigma are not as good as the canon and nikon equivlent but then again they are 1/2 and often 1/3 the price of 1st parties. The tamron mentioned ($450) is much cheaper than the canon 17-55 IS f2.8 (about $1100 or so). Image quality is almost idenical. For the canon you pay more for IS and better build.

If the tonkia image quality is just as good then the build should be better than the tamron or sigma, for the 16-50 I'm talking about. That should be a very nice lens alternative.
nelmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 9:20 AM   #20

I read in the other forum (Nikon lens) that the F/2.8 Tokina 16-50 mm is going to cost a whopping 1000 USD if I am not mistaken!!!:shock:

The Tamron 17-50 mmF/2.8looks a much greater deal than ever now at 400 USD.

You can also get the niceSigma AF 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC for 450 USD>>>

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...0_28/index.htm

The Sigma AF 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC macro is also a nice zoom to consider above all>>> http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...2845/index.htm

Be sure to read the reviews & testin those links!

BTW, the build quality of the new Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 USM IS isnot that great. (Performance seems rather okayto me)

It is the Canon L glasses that have the build quality. Similer for Nikon lenses with their pro grade lenses. Don't forget that TOKINA lensesessencially have the same type of build quality as the pro Nikkor lenses. Tokina lenses wins all nonLCanon glasses in build quality. (They are all made of metal as Canon L glasses are)

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote