Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Sep 2, 2006, 2:09 AM   #1

I know this is a newbi question but I have seen the rubber hoods on ebay that I can purchase for my canon digital xt. What are the reasons I would but one.. and are there certain brands that are better than others???

Todd
kwkshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2006, 12:15 AM   #2

Lens hood are to avoid direct sun ligth hitting on the lens, causing flare.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Rubber lens hood are collapsible, so you can "fold" it when you are not using it, leaving it on-site all the time.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The most common is the Hamma, but I have used some other brands (kenko) and all work well.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Just be careful when using it, because it could vignette your picts at short focal length.
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 12:26 AM   #3

Thanks man I appreciate it.
kwkshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 9:01 AM   #4

A lens hood isn't just to avoid direct sunlight hitting the lens. Any light that enters the lens from a direction other than your subject can reflect and refract around inside the lens and cause loss of contrast. A good lens hood will give you better photos in most situations.

The best lens hoods are rectangular and are tight to the point that any wider angle shot than the lens is capable of would be vignetted by the lens hood. Hoods for zoom lenses are always a compromise to the widest angle of the lens. I have seen rectangular hoods that slide in and out to accommodate various focal lengths.

The rubber collapsible hoods improve the contrast a little by blocking some random light, but aren't as effective as rectangular hoods for specific focal lengths and sensor sizes. I always had a rubber hood on my film SLRs when I didn't have a rectangular hood for a particular lens or was using a zoom. I saw little difference between brands but even the rubber hood improved the contrast.

They claim that the glass and design in newer lenses has reduced the need for lens hoods. I have made rectangular lens hoods for a couple of small digital cameras and don't see a lot of improvement, so "they" might be correct.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 9:13 AM   #5

One other reason for rubber over plastic. If you shoot sports and are fortunate enought to get close to the action (like sidelines in football or courside in basketball) some venues require rubber lens hoods over the hard plastic or metal (like on a 400mm) to protect players in the event that there's a collision.

Joe
jlacasci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 4:52 PM   #6

And to expand on the post above, hoods will also provide some protection to the lens in all scenarios, ie if you knock the lens into something whilst out shooting it will be the hood taking the impact rather than the lens itself.
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 7:15 AM   #7

MrPogo wrote:
Quote:
And to expand on the post above, hoods will also provide some protection to the lens in all scenarios, ie if you knock the lens into something whilst out shooting it will be the hood taking the impact rather than the lens itself.
this is true, but not so much with the rubber hoods, they offer little or no protection for your lens. Jlacasci may be correct the at some venues rubber hoods are required, but I personally have never used a rubber hood at any sporting event I've shot, nor have I ever seen any pros on the sidelines of the NFL games with rubber hoods. But I'm sure there are some that do require them, so if that is your plan, I would suggest finding out before you get to the game.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2006, 2:28 PM   #8

The only difference is, you get 3 for the price of 1
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 1:55 PM   #9

geriatric wrote:
Quote:
The only difference is, you get 3 for the price of 1
And well worth the extra cost for the extra protection.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote