Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > News Discussion

Old Aug 30, 2010, 8:42 AM   #1
Banned

Default Brochure Printing companies

Hi
Can some suggest me the name of Brochure Printing companies near New york, preferably Staten Island. Plz suggest me some website where i can know about the company and their work criteria.
rooneyfernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2010, 9:43 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooneyfernandez View Post
Hi
Can some suggest me the name of Brochure Printing companies near New york, preferably Staten Island. Plz suggest me some website where i can know about the company and their work criteria.

I'm amazed that someone in Maharashtra India would want a printing company in the US..... banned!!!!!
Old Sep 1, 2010, 12:05 AM   #3

Maybe he was on vacation in NY....... Anyway Mark as always great move/work keep up the great work as a moderator.....

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 12:39 PM   #4
Super Moderator

I'm just waiting for 'some random person not known to the originator' to reply to this thread with the answer.... shock horror..... then they will be banned straight away too. Then we (I say we, I mean JimC) starts looking at blocking IPs, much more fun that way LOL.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 6:07 PM   #5

Mark great job as always!!!!!
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 8:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
I'm just waiting for 'some random person not known to the originator' to reply to this thread with the answer.... shock horror..... then they will be banned straight away too. Then we (I say we, I mean JimC) starts looking at blocking IPs, much more fun that way LOL.

Just a suggestion from someone who has run a couple of forums for several years, DON'T block IP's.
AOL clients share IP's, in fact several large ISP's do the same, never did find out why. By blocking an IP, you could also lock out several other members.

Something else I found recently by installing and using Statcounter on one of my forums, AOL change their clients last set of digits at every post, move etc. This is the only ISP that appears to do this.

There are other means of bypassing an IP block, but I won't list them here for obvious reasons.

Great site just learning to operate my new dSLR, hope to try for photo of the day when I have had enough practice. Keep up the good work.
Just John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 9:01 AM   #7
Administrator

We're well aware of the downside to blocking IP addresses. But, forum spam is a huge problem, and when we have frequent, repeat spam from the same IP addresses (or from similar IP Addresses within the same range), we sometimes block them because the spammers keep rejoining under new member names using new e-mail addresses.

This is often done by automated spambot type software like XRumer, designed to post to many forums at the same time, looking like a real human is posting, when it's just software that spammers are using to do it for them. Often, the IP addresses in question are already in databases of known spammers.

What I will do is check to make sure we don't have any [legitimate] members using the IP address (or range of IP addresses being blocked) first. Sometimes, I will remove the blocks after a period of time (because IP addresses can be reassigned), depending on the location and if it's a known proxy server used by spammers or not.

If the IP address is obviously from a dial up account, I usually don't block it, except for very unusual circumstances.

Because of the severity of the problem (which has increased quite a bit over the past few years) I've blocked entire ranges of IP addresses from some high Spam areas when it's obvious that they're just proxy servers used by spammers.

Most of the spam comes from India (where we get a lot of it from, mostly from spammers promoting companies in the U.S. and U.K.), Russia, China, Vietnam and the Philippines. There are a lot of new "marketing companies" making use of proxy servers in these areas now.

Because of the amount of spam we get, we have to consider the time involved to keep the spam out, and the disruption to the forums it can cause, versus any impact the blocks have to potential members.

Now, we have implemented a new anti-spam service that helps to some extent. Basically, it uses a centralized database to track spammers, and analyzes posts from new members and flags them if the post pattern matches known spam. We can then approve the post (so that it shows up in the forums) or report the post after it's flagged. If it's reported, the post content, member's e-mail address, ip address and more are logged in the anti-spam database to assist in filtering future spam.

This has cut back on the need to block specific IP addresses, since the anti-spam service is tracking them instead and flagging posts as potential spam so we can review them.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 1:28 PM   #8

Another good Admin tool Jim is "Statcounter" It's free and can be expanded for minimum cost, tracks every guest, member etc. I have found it almost impossible to bypass with proxy servers!!!
It registers the persons true IP address, town and country together with O/S, Browser and screen resolution.
I thoroughly recommend it.
The free version tracks the first 500 accounts, and as new guests view the site, the last ones drop off.
BUT, it is handy to track those pesky "trolls"!!
Just John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 4:26 PM   #9
Administrator

Most "professional" spammers are not dumb enough to post from their real IP address to begin with (although sometimes spammers surprise me with the mistakes they make), and mechanisms used by those types of products to get a poster's real IP address are very easily defeated.

As for the OS, Browser, etc., that kind of thing is also easily "spoofed". There are a number of browser add-on's that can do that for you (allowing you to select from a list of User Agents, or customize one to suit your needs, so that you can report anything you want to). I leave one installed at all times myself, just so that I can tell sites I'm using a different OS, browser, etc., when I run into compatibility issues. Ditto for software designed to hide my real IP address (just because I may want privacy at times). Professional spammers are using relatively sophisticated techniques anymore.

IOW, don't underestimate today's spammers. Spam is big business, and forums like this one are a target. ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 2:57 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhussey View Post
This article tends to elaborate on the essence of being a good brochure printing company. It also presents the importance of brochures pertinent to the trendy manner of advertising.A brochure can be a great promotional tool, whether it is for is a real estate listing, a trade show handout, a data sheet, or some other application, but sometimes itís hard to know where to start. Brochure printing companies can provide their expertise as well as a wide range of printing and marketing services.
And there we have it ladies and gentlemen, the post we were waiting for that miraculously answered the initial question and had a link to a place we could all get our printing done.... amazing, especially as it was for an Australia company and the (now banned) member posting was in India...... hmmmm.