Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > News Discussion

Old Dec 12, 2010, 12:22 PM   #1

Default Russian Camera Restrictions

Does anybody know what the size restrictions are for taking cameras and lenses into Russia are for a tourist? I had seen something that suggested a size limit of 100 mm high and 140 mm long. This is pretty small so it did not make sense
ghpots is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2010, 1:26 PM   #2
Super Moderator

No idea but I've just done a quick google search and got this.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/travelbl...?destId=360429

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 11:20 AM   #3

Seems fair enough. Could apply to most cities in the world. But I haven't tried taking photographs in London for at least 20 years - is it now really as bad as this article says?
peterbj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 12:18 PM   #4

I took plenty of photo's in St Catherines Palace and a Cathedral in St Petersburg in 2008 with a Nikon D40x complete with 18-200mm lens but I did have a permit which cost me just a few ús.
Sadly things do change though.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2010, 8:51 PM   #5

For what its worth and remember this was in 2007....... My dads brothers daughter went to Russia in 2007 as part of a tour group. She took a cannon D-SLR with 2 lenses she said she thinks one was an 18-70 (or was it an 18-55) and the other was a 70 - 300mm (not a f2.8). She no longer has those lenses as she solid all her lenses and got f2.8 lenses since. She said she had no issues shooting when they were walking around, on the train or tour bus. She took 4x 2GB cards and a wolverine memory storage device. Had no issues with that gear going through airports and customs. She had 2 flight transfers to get there and back. She aaid she carried her photo gear on the plane with her at all times......

One thing she did recommend was take a very good low light f2.8 etc shorter zoom as your primary lens and you can most likely get away with something to the 200mm range as a second lens and carry a power plug adapter for the battery charger and lots of memory cards.....

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2010, 6:42 PM   #6

what a load of crap.. but yeah be careful with locals or officials(police,FSB,undercovers) they can take your gear without questions. There a lot of demonstrations going on so if you see one avoid it because SWAT team known to take random people who's wondering close by especially with video/photo equipment. Good luck!
idenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 8:49 PM   #7

I think it was a very good article. For several reasons:
Americans are Not born with Common sense...they are born with jackass sense...and can become the 'ugly American' quite easily. We do not know how to Behave in other countries...we behave as if it is our own, and since we soil our own to death, and disrespect our own law enforcement officers, and people in general, it IS best to think before acting and speaking. Since it is a foreign country, city, etc. we do not 'know' what the criminal element is like...meaning, as he said, don't go walking out at night off well traveled places...for instance, I wouldn't go hang around Oakland Ca. at ANY time let alone at midnight. (the above is my belief of 'some' tourists and others, etc. Yes, all who come from anywhere can become the same...just seems our manners are lacking these days...)

You are right, idenny, unless you are reckless(or a photo journalist) don't go looking for trouble at demonstrations. They usually do Not have web access in Jail to send Steve'digicams pics of your latest adventures!

As for Law Enforcement? Always be respectful. I am, because it is the Right thing to do. Not out of fear. Out of respect...for what they do...they don't know me from the next IRA/terrorist/criminal/thief/Al qaeda/ninja/flame throwing galactican/bomber until they talk to us...that is here and abroad.
All I want to do is be a Tourist...and he/she wants to make sure that is all I want to do, too. In these times...no one is sure about anyone/anything.

I know most serious photographers aren't about to go off their nut, but, one can be in the wrong place WITH the wrong people....

Last edited by lisalonewolf; Feb 27, 2011 at 8:52 PM.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 9:05 AM   #8

Smile

lisalonewolf.
A brave post but as a Brit who worked with tourists in London for over 40 years I think you are being a little unfair on your fellow compatriots."they are born with jackass sense"quote!
Firstly I always found that Americans were somewhat nervous tourists therefore they were very careful of what they did and where they went, in fact imho a bit too cautious. I got asked on one occasion if it was ok to walk alone in central London (broad daylight main streets) as this young lady had been warned back home in the USA of white slavers looking for girls like her.???. I always put it down to the USA being rather insular, whereas Europeans are used to moving around in different countries a lot more. I never have come across people being harrased by Squads of Swat officers bulling people in London for taking railway shots. Of course common sense is needed anywhere in the world as you state but that applies to everyone every where. I think if you walk around looking like a too wealthy tourist as I have seen Americans,Germans, French and Brits do that can be asking for problems anywhere (I mean Rolex watch diamond rings). So do come to London we really like you over here. Having said that mostly Americans complained to me about Paris (sorry Paris but it's true through rudeness.) not France just Paris itself.. I was attempted / mugged in Barcelona (the mugging capitol of Europe) but they weren't interested in my Nikon Dslr/flash etc just cash but I carry no more than I need for the day,just a few euros, they ran off with nothing as it happened.Mean swine I'd hidden my few euros.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod

Last edited by deadshot; Feb 28, 2011 at 9:07 AM.
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 10:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalonewolf View Post
As for Law Enforcement? Always be respectful. I am, because it is the Right thing to do. Not out of fear. Out of respect...for what they do
Sorry, I couldn't disagree with this and the sentiment behind it more.

I give respect where it is due and earned. I have found that police officers vary enormously in all countries, and in any country you can experience bad ones. They are often corrupt and easily bribed, and in many countries they are allowed to get away with it because that is also the modus operandi of the politicians who rule the place. No, I have no inherent "respect" for law enforcement officers (or politicians). I may pragmatically decide to obey as the least troublesome option (for me), but that is very different from having respect. After all, in a democratic society "law" is merely the will of the majority at the time, codified. Nothing sacrosanct about it. In a totalitarian country it is the means by which the "authorities" retain control. Laws are frequently wrong or out-dated and should be challenged by whatever means the individual can command, such means varying greatly depending on the type of society one finds oneself in. The most damning thing anyone can say is "my country right or wrong", even though that statement is a quotation out of context.