Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > News Discussion

Old Sep 21, 2011, 7:25 AM   #1

Default New Nikon release

Nikon have launched an entirely new line of cameras.To me they look ugly,don't know about the performance.

http://dpreview.com/news/1109/11092120nikonlaunch.asp
wanaclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2011, 10:58 AM   #2

Thom Hogan http://www.bythom.com/index.htm has a reasoned review of the announcement that makes sense. You have to look at the intended market of the product to understand it. The cameras are intended to fit above camera phones and compact cameras but not cannibalize the low end DSLR market.

As for ugly, I don't think big DSLRs would win any beauty contests! I do draw the line at pink and white however.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2011, 4:51 PM   #3

G'day WC & Bob

@wb - thanks for the hands-up ... I missed this announcement

At first glance I think that it's a magic offering for those hundreds/thousands of enthusiasts who find the small compact cameras too simple and the dSLRs too big & heavy

In my touring around Oz, I find dozens & dozens of people with a dSLR who when they see me using the Panny FZ superzoom comment "gosh I wish I was shown that camera - I would have bought it ... this thing of mine is too large/ heavy/ bulky etc etc" - showing me their canon or nikon or pentax + its 2 kit lenses

As most of these people -never- print beyond an 8x10" and for whom 98% of their images are viewed on a computer screen of 1megapixel [1280 x 960px], any dSLR is a waste of time ... thus something like this with the 10x zoom lens may be the best answer

As to the sensor format being slightly smaller than 4/3 but not as small as the commonly used 1/2,3", I think it's an excellent move

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2011, 5:05 PM   #4

Doesn't it look like one of those cameras you used to get for free when you subscribed to Time magazine?
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2011, 6:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
G'day WC & Bob

@wb - thanks for the hands-up ... I missed this announcement

As to the sensor format being slightly smaller than 4/3 but not as small as the commonly used 1/2,3", I think it's an excellent move

Regards, Phil
Normally I try hard to not be a nitpicker, but at 116 sq. mm as compared to the m43 sensor of 243 sq. mm, the new Nikon 1 sensor is 50% smaller. That's a tad smaller than slightly.

Now, that's not to say it doesn't fill a niche somewhere. And yes, people will buy the Nikon 1 in droves. No argument there. But, is it the camera that many people were hoping for from Nikon.

I don't think so.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2011, 9:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Normally I try hard to not be a nitpicker, but at 116 sq. mm as compared to the m43 sensor of 243 sq. mm, the new Nikon 1 sensor is 50% smaller. That's a tad smaller than slightly.

Now, that's not to say it doesn't fill a niche somewhere. And yes, people will buy the Nikon 1 in droves. No argument there. But, is it the camera that many people were hoping for from Nikon.

I don't think so.

Zig
You really think people will buy in "droves." Personally, at that price, I think the equally priced D3100 and D5100 will out sell. Then dropping it down to a "like size" perspective it becomes interesting with the pricing handicap vs a premium P&S with manual capabilities. It is a nitche camera and the "bythom" link stated it the best - with the 5 colors and like colors for matching lens, an absolute inventory nightmare for retailers.

My only benefit would be to use existing lens to suppliment so I don't see myself buying it - even though I do need a small camera to take bicycling. Likewise, I can't identify a person in my life I would give as a gift vs other cameras, plus if a friend should ask me that universal question - "What camera should I buy" - giving it as a first choice recommendation if a recommendation at all.

An example. I plan to give my daughter a camera for Christmas to replace/upgrade a Canon SB600 (Elph) given to her 7 years ago. She takes amazing photos with that camera and would love to see her apply her composition, macro and backlighting skills with a more advanced camera. She is a biologist who requires small as she carries the camera into the field. While the Nikon 1 would fit that requirement, I don't see it replacing the current top runner - Panasonic LX3, Canon S95 or the slightly larger/bulkier Canon G12 or Nikon P7000. The irony is, that is the very customer group for thode advanced P&S that Nikon 1 is catering to.

Last edited by tizeye; Sep 22, 2011 at 9:12 AM.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2011, 9:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizeye View Post
You really think people will buy in "droves."
Hi Tizeye,

Yes, I honestly do. For a number of reasons.

First, it's got the right name. There is a lot of brand loyalty when it comes to cameras. And, even if you're not a photographer or enthusiast, most everyone
recognizes the name Nikon. People will buy it simply because of the name.

Another reason is that this camera is really not directed at people like you and me or anyone that is an enthusiast. There are other choices that, quite honestly, are better.

This camera is for those folks who want to upgrade from P&S. They want to be able to turn it, look at the LCD screen and take the picture. They're not interested in messing around controls, settings, manual focus , etc.

Lastly, this isn't being marketed to guys, since as you mentioned, the camera comes in 5 colors. It's marketed to soccor moms and young women.

I may be wrong on this. Bu, my gut tells me otherwise.

zigt

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 4:01 PM   #8

G'day all

@zig & @tiz - thanx for your response
my gut feeling is that you are both right for differing reasons

Zig - the "sq-mm" ref is mathematically correct, but -i feel- irrelevant to the issue [at the moment]
It's my belief that 99% of "non-serious-photographers" do not even know about the size of their camera sensor ...... "it's digital mate - their all the same - aren't they"

I meet too many 'togs with kit-lens nikons or canons who never print, they just view on the computer screen. Q- do these people 'need' an APS sensor for a 1-megapixel viewing system? No way

I reckon that there are lots of people out there who will like the 'novelty' &/or the size & weight of this system and for those sort of reasons will go for it before the 'traditional' APS sized & weight of the dSLR cameras you & I play with

I have both a pentax Kx & the panny fz35 - and the FZ gets 95% of my picture use 'coz the Kx is just too bulky & heavy for me to carry around. The Kx + its lenses may be 'technically superior' but to me they're little more than paperweights. I'd love a new panny system with a sensor larger than the current fz series, but small enough to still offer me a 15x zoom lens and lots of all-in-one convenience

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 7:27 PM   #9

Well, it's been about a month since we last discussed the Nikon entry into the mirrorless camera market.

What's interesting that in that short time, Nikon has been very successful with their 2 cameras.

Here is a link to the most popular sellers on Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-C...ag=rumors0a-20

Zig

Old Oct 31, 2013, 3:26 AM   #10

I love Nikon Cameras well i have Nikon Cool-pix series camera a 6300.I saw Nikon series of cameras but i was expecting more megapixel in Nikon V1.
Joepal is offline   Reply With Quote