Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > News Discussion

Old Mar 4, 2012, 8:11 AM   #1

Default Can i copy VHS to DVD

I've got some rare 80s movies on VHS that are not available on DVD. I want to transfer these movies to DVD, but my VCR/DVD combo unit will not allow me to burn a copy-protected VHS movie. Is there any way around this? Not looking to make a profit and sell these; I just don't want to risk ruining the tape or getting it stuck in the VCR so I prefer the movies on DVD. These are for my own personal viewing pleasure
shapiq122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2012, 9:20 AM   #2

There were some options a while ago, that would let you copy copy-protected tapes to DVDs, but as far as I can tell, they're long gone.

You might be able to rig something up through a computer and special video adapter. Use the VCR as a video source, and record it on your DVD-RW drive.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2012, 6:28 PM   #3

You may be able if you have the program called honestech VHS to DVD 3.0 Deluxe. It even came with a special video box and cables that allow you to bring the feed out of the VHS and into the USB port of your PC. I have used it many times in the past straight from a VCR but never worked directly from my cable feed or TV just from pre-recorded VHS tapes.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2012, 10:17 PM   #4

Something like this may work.http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...925&CatId=1428
I may just pick one of these up for myself. From the reviews, I suspect that some people who are having trouble don't have a fast enough machine, or enough memory. Possibly, if you have more than one USB device being used, it could cause problems, also.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 12:18 PM   #5

not sure about the device that Brian just posted the link for but the one I have when I record from VHS or DVD recorder I can be running anything else on my machine and I have 4GB of Ram or else their is not enough processing power for the capture to record to the hard drive and it fails. So keep that in mind

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 12:41 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
Be careful... The System requirements imply that it's not going to work with something like 64 Bit Win 7, as it only mentions Vista (32 bit only), bold added by me for emphasis.

Now, most of the time drivers for 64 Bit Vista will work in 64 Bit Win 7. But, if the drivers are 32 bit only (and the specs in that listing do say 32 bit only), you'd have a problem trying to get it working in 64 Bit Win 7.

So, I'd check the manufacturers web site to make sure they have updated drivers and software that will work if you're using a newer Operating System.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 12:59 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Now, most of the time drivers for 64 Bit Vista will work in 64 Bit Win 7. But, if the drivers are 32 bit only (and the specs in that listing do say 32 bit only), you'd have a problem trying to get it working in 64 Bit Win 7.

So, I'd check the manufacturers web site to make sure they have updated drivers and software that will work if you're using a newer Operating System.
It looks like they do (with comments that the software updater includes hardware drivers).

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSit...ents&Display=1
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 10:46 PM   #8

Stay away from the inexpensive USB video digitizers. Reviews indicate that they are far more trouble than they are worth and lots of users report that they are just junk.

You will want to minimize quality loss. Get yourself one of the "video stabilizer boxes" (see PIX). Put it between a high quality (19u head) VCR and a DvD recorder set to record at the highest quality. Once on DvD, you can use DvD shrink to perform any editing if needed (eg, combining movies, cutting out or pasting in sections, etc.) without incurring any further quality losses. Lot less trouble, lot better result.
Attached Images

sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2012, 7:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdromel View Post
Stay away from the inexpensive USB video digitizers.
There are some decent usb products though. I have been using the Roxio "Easy VHS to DVD" product for some time now without any issues. It will also successfully bypass any attempts to "block" your recording due to presumed copywrite infringement. This means that with this product you are free to record what and how you wish.
dbnnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2012, 3:34 PM   #10

Perhaps I was a bit harsh on the current available digitizer products. If so then it is because a friend called me about wanting to do exactly what is posted in the OP. They asked what I advised as there were inexpensive USB digitizers advertised available from Frys. As a result, I began researching them and did not like what many of the reviewers were testifying/experiencing. Issues included too slow, bad quality result, poor software application to manage captures (eg, too difficult to use), etc. There may have been one or two units worth possibly trying (dont recall which ones), but they were not the least expensive ones, but were in the $70 -$159 range).

Even when using my proposed method, you have to be carefull about quality loss. It would be better to be able to use SVHS between the VCR and the DvD Recorder instead of baseband (ie, RCA jacks). (I also was fortunate enough to have bought one of the early Phillips DvD players (DVP642) that does not implement macrovision in their firmware.)

Im surprised that the proposed USB devices allow stripping of macrovision, generally that is the key. In any event, the OP probably will end up purchasing one of the USB digitizers. If so, please be sure to let everyone know what you bought and what your experience was.
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote