Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > News Discussion

Old Mar 7, 2012, 11:10 AM   #1

Default So which camera is better?

Quotation from Thom Hogan http://www.bythom.com/index.htm on March 7, 2012:

"So which is better: a D800 or a 5DIII? A D4 or a 1Dx?

Trick question. None of the above. They're tools. How well you'll do with one of those tools depends upon how well you study their capabilities and how good you are as a tool user. Simple as that. "

"Still, the simple truth is this: at the levels the high-end cameras (and even some of the lower- and mid-level ones) are today, there's little to separate Brand A from Brand B. "

This applies to any camera, car, snow mobile, jet ski, chop saw, etc.!
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2012, 12:35 PM   #2

I had exactly the same conversation with my teenage stepsons about 20 years ago, except it was about Craftsman, Snap-On and S K handtools.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 1:33 PM   #3

All great cameras,capable of great results,in the right hands....
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:54 PM   #4

Nikon D600! Cheaper than the 4 cameras you mentioned, it is worth to check it out.
Mirrorless APS-C camera: Samsung NX100, Canon EOS-M.
M4/3 systems: Olympus OM-D-E-M5 and Panasonic DMC-G3.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 6:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCKSer View Post
Nikon D600! Cheaper than the 4 cameras you mentioned, it is worth to check it out.
I think you missed the point.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 7:37 AM   #6
Super Moderator

It's a sensible approach for a professional photographer.

For someone who is not though, cameras are not necessarily just tools. They can be desirable objects in themselves.

People feel this way about many things...

The design and feel of an object can have an appeal. We want things to express our individuality.

It's one of the main factors why people choose cars for example. I mean functionally they are all pretty much the same. Professional use of an automobile is very different from private use. For private use the "fun" element is very important. If you like a camera, and it's nice to use and makes you want to carry it then that's not an insignificant reason to choose one over another.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 4:41 PM   #7

G'day Bob

I'm inclined to say "who cares ~ what does is matter..."
All the pro-level cameras these days [along with v8-supercar / golf clubs / tennis racquets / running shoes] are so similar that it really comes down to the operator / user / athelete

London showed us this only a couple of weeks ago

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 1:55 PM   #8

"So which is better" ? Bob is right....trick question. None of the above. It all depends on YOU and your abilities, experience and how well you understand your cameras capabilities, functions and settings. I have actually seen people take worst pictures with a high end pro camera than they did with their old bridge camera. The high end pro cameras are much more complexed and have a multitude of settings. If you don't totally understand them all you can be in big trouble. I have a good friend that loves to play golf. He went out and spent some big bucks and purchased the same high end golf clubs that Tiger Woods uses. He was convinced that this would improve his overall scores. It did not. In fact he lost an average of two strokes in his game.
surplusshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 1:43 AM   #9

its a question that should make you think and not just about cameras. you should get the one that suits you, that does the job, fits your budget.

I think i say this a lot to people plus go and try them out. i wouldnt buy a car unless i had it for a least half a day not just quick trip out in it. i like to see how it works for me and not have a sales person telling me how great it is.

same with a camera i will go and try it out i got a new lens earlier this year not the one i thought i would get because when i tried it it was to heavy and i wouldnt take out much.

so it all down to you
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 7:44 AM   #10

i agree with most of what you say, but it doesnt really apply to any camera though does it, take autofocus for example, i read on here many posts where people say why is my photo of my kid playing soccer not sharp, and the replys are more often than not, your cameras auto focus isnt good enough or you need a faster lens or a dedicated flash.
with modern cameras you dont really need to know what all the stuff does to get great photos, just what it on auto and let the camera decide everything. a perfect example from a few months ago when they gave a monkey a camera and he took some great self potraits
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote