Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   News Discussion (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/news-discussion-107/)
-   -   Nikon issues official statement (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/news-discussion/204825-nikon-issues-official-statement.html)

Dig Feb 24, 2013 8:34 PM

Nikon issues official statement

You may already be aware of this but if not:

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/02/22/ni...il-issue.aspx/

So mine just came on Thursday and is still in the box. My question is, should I just send it back or do the newer versions have this fixed? What bugs me is these cameras are not cheap and yet they still have quality issues.

Will these quality problems ever end? (Rhetorical of course )

Thanks

Ozzie_Traveller Feb 25, 2013 1:32 PM

G'day mate

I think that manufacturing / QA problems have always been present - and with every camera / car / tv etc etc company .... but nowadays we are made aware of them much more via consumer-protection legislation and all that stuff

Years ago we just talked to our mates about 'getting a lemon' - now we know all about it before the fruit turns sour!!

Regards, Phil

JohnG Feb 25, 2013 1:40 PM

There is little to no direct relationship between cost and QC. The reality is - any time you have a new manufacturing process for something there is likely going to be some bumps. The more complicated the process, the more likely there's an issue. That's the danger with being an early adopter to any piece of technology. Look on the bright side, at least you're not buying fighter jets. They just grounded the JSF fighter due to issues. Lots of crashes occurred early on in the F-16 testing. And these things cost a LOT more than a DSLR.

VTphotog Feb 25, 2013 6:07 PM

At least, they acknowledge the issue and are not trying to sweep it under the rug.:icon_lol:
This has happened with other cameras by other makers as well.

brian

Dig Feb 26, 2013 8:51 AM

Yes this has happened with other camera makers, software makers, car makers, etc, etc ,etc.

What would happen if we as a people refused to accept poor quality and together as a collaborative stood against this lack of quality?

Would it force companies to produce better products?
Would it send a message to companies that they need to test their products more thoroughly before they are released?
Would it make companies more honest in admitting there is a problem?
Would it force companies to more quickly provide a fix?

Let's face it the cameras aren't cheap The D600 goes for about $71/oz. That's pretty expensive to have dirt on our sensors. (:sport-smiley-018:)

Best to all!!!

JohnG Feb 26, 2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dig (Post 1339063)
Yes this has happened with other camera makers, software makers, car makers, etc, etc ,etc.

What would happen if we as a people refused to accept poor quality and together as a collaborative stood against this lack of quality?

Would it force companies to produce better products?
Would it send a message to companies that they need to test their products more thoroughly before they are released?
Would it make companies more honest in admitting there is a problem?
Would it force companies to more quickly provide a fix?

Working for a company that does manufacturing I could write a lot about QC and the cost/benefit analysis that goes into it. Suffice it to say though - the market simply doesn't behave like you suggest. A number of people complain but it really doesn't do a lot of long term damage. What you'll see is that now Nikon has encountered this specific QC issue they'll put controls in place to mitigate it happening in the future. But, you need to keep things in perspective here too - it's not like every product Nikon puts out has QC issues.

You also have to realize that quality control is often very expensive to implement. There's a high cost involved. Would you be in favor of paying 25% more for every camera you buy just to increase quality control? Most people would not. The market isn't likely to stomach that increase. If a given manufacturer in the market starts to have more QC issues than the competition they'll have to change. Nikon isn't one of those. And, it's not like there's a public impression cameras as a whole or Interchangeable Lens Cameras as a whole have QC issues. They don't. There are often issues with initial manufacturing runs and it's simply less expensive to handle replacements than to put more QC controls in place - especially with so many components and manufacturing processes involved.

Now, if Nikon refused to fix or replace the issue that's another thing. I'd be ticked too if I had this problem. But I don't see a systematic issue with Nikon products.

WCKSer Mar 6, 2013 11:42 AM

This is just an annoying problem for the users if they don't come out with a fix. If it is just dust, you use one of the sensor cleaning kit available commercially. They even have a kit for water and oil stains. The question is: why do the user has to do this so frequent because the D600 is supposed to be a highly rated and quality camera?

Will there be a recall?

pwfletcher Mar 7, 2013 6:00 AM

I have the D600 and have no problems whatsoever ...

ibecamewe Jun 19, 2013 6:20 AM

My D600 had 3 trips to Nikon service and did not get fixed. I do not believe Nikon has a fix for this and this statement did not own up to the problem. Shame on you, Nikon.
Thank you so much for what you did to shine light on this problem!

angelam9 Sep 18, 2013 10:32 AM

oki, I didn't even notice this problem exists. :-)