Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Nikon 1 (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/nikon-1-118/)
-   -   Some from yesterday (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/nikon-1-118/some-yesterday-211621/)

jelow1966 Jun 12, 2014 10:43 AM

Some from yesterday
 
5 Attachment(s)
Had some time before work yesterday so I hit a couple of ponds looking for stuff, mostly baby ducks. Didn't find as much as I would have liked but got a few good shots. Probably the best Cedar Waxwing shots in my collection so it was worth it just for that. Birds all done with the tokina 400/5.6 and the snake with the usual Tamron 35-210. Really thinking a Tamron 200-500 might be the ideal lens for this camera and what I shoot (an AF one, not my old adaptall beast even though it is a fine lens).

John

edit: Lightroom seems to have softened them all while exporting.

vIZnquest Jun 15, 2014 11:28 AM

Using the 200-500mm Tamron with give you reach for sure but the fact is it has no motor drive for one to even work like the 70-300mm VC. You can definitely get it to manually focus as it does has an indicator to show you have focus but I go with what I see instead.

jelow1966 Jun 15, 2014 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vIZnquest (Post 1375848)
Using the 200-500mm Tamron with give you reach for sure but the fact is it has no motor drive for one to even work like the 70-300mm VC. You can definitely get it to manually focus as it does has an indicator to show you have focus but I go with what I see instead.

Thanks for the info. But now I am confused, how does an AF lens work if it has no motor drive? Just to make sure we're talking about the same lens this is what I was looking at:
http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Auto...99074500J?r=FE

I admit to knowing next to nothing about this or any other Nikon mount lens :)

John

NHL Jul 28, 2014 4:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jelow1966 (Post 1375851)
Thanks for the info. But now I am confused, how does an AF lens work if it has no motor drive?

What vIZnquest meant was that Tamron has no internal motor, so the lens relies on the screw-drive inside the camera to focus mechanically (i.e. which is only available on Pro-body dSLR). The V1 does not have this capability...

-> You'll have to focus the 200-500 manually!

On the other hand, the newer Tamron 150-600 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details) has an internal ultrasonic motor to the lens so it will AF on the V1 electronically ;)

jelow1966 Jul 28, 2014 9:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NHL (Post 1378102)
What vIZnquest meant was that Tamron has no internal motor, so the lens relies on the screw-drive inside the camera to focus mechanically (i.e. which is only available on Pro-body dSLR). The V1 does not have this capability...

-> You'll have to focus the 200-500 manually!

On the other hand, the newer Tamron 150-600 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details) has an internal ultrasonic motor to the lens so it will AF on the V1 electronically ;)

Thanks, coming from Pentax it's a little confusing since any AF K-mount lens ever made (old ones anyway, I believe the HSM ones require the newer bodies) with work with any of their DSLRs (though not always well in terms of image quality).

I keep thinking how awesome that 150-600 would be on the V1, so very tempting :)

John


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:33 AM.