Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon 1

Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:43 AM   #1

Default Some from yesterday

Had some time before work yesterday so I hit a couple of ponds looking for stuff, mostly baby ducks. Didn't find as much as I would have liked but got a few good shots. Probably the best Cedar Waxwing shots in my collection so it was worth it just for that. Birds all done with the tokina 400/5.6 and the snake with the usual Tamron 35-210. Really thinking a Tamron 200-500 might be the ideal lens for this camera and what I shoot (an AF one, not my old adaptall beast even though it is a fine lens).

John

edit: Lightroom seems to have softened them all while exporting.
Attached Images

jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2014, 12:28 PM   #2

Using the 200-500mm Tamron with give you reach for sure but the fact is it has no motor drive for one to even work like the 70-300mm VC. You can definitely get it to manually focus as it does has an indicator to show you have focus but I go with what I see instead.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2014, 1:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vIZnquest View Post
Using the 200-500mm Tamron with give you reach for sure but the fact is it has no motor drive for one to even work like the 70-300mm VC. You can definitely get it to manually focus as it does has an indicator to show you have focus but I go with what I see instead.
Thanks for the info. But now I am confused, how does an AF lens work if it has no motor drive? Just to make sure we're talking about the same lens this is what I was looking at:
http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Auto...99074500J?r=FE

I admit to knowing next to nothing about this or any other Nikon mount lens

John
Old Jul 28, 2014, 5:33 PM   #4
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
Thanks for the info. But now I am confused, how does an AF lens work if it has no motor drive?
What vIZnquest meant was that Tamron has no internal motor, so the lens relies on the screw-drive inside the camera to focus mechanically (i.e. which is only available on Pro-body dSLR). The V1 does not have this capability...

-> You'll have to focus the 200-500 manually!

On the other hand, the newer Tamron 150-600 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details) has an internal ultrasonic motor to the lens so it will AF on the V1 electronically
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL View Post
What vIZnquest meant was that Tamron has no internal motor, so the lens relies on the screw-drive inside the camera to focus mechanically (i.e. which is only available on Pro-body dSLR). The V1 does not have this capability...

-> You'll have to focus the 200-500 manually!

On the other hand, the newer Tamron 150-600 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details) has an internal ultrasonic motor to the lens so it will AF on the V1 electronically
Thanks, coming from Pentax it's a little confusing since any AF K-mount lens ever made (old ones anyway, I believe the HSM ones require the newer bodies) with work with any of their DSLRs (though not always well in terms of image quality).

I keep thinking how awesome that 150-600 would be on the V1, so very tempting

John

Last edited by jelow1966; Jul 28, 2014 at 11:39 PM.