Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums >

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 24, 2020, 3:00 PM   #1

Default Next Lens For Z6?

I recently switched over my kit to Mirrorless, for a few reasons, and decided to build out my kit more slowly this time so I just started with the 24-70 2.8 (for professional family portraits and events) and am now trying to figure out what my second lens will be and would love some input. Also, I have a minor but chronic back issue that limits how much I would like to carry at once, otherwise saving up for the 70-200 would probably be my next lens.

Given all that, right now I’m thinking I want a solid, constant aperture travel lens (24-70 f4), and I would like start start building out my prime kit as that will help with the weight (so the 50, maybe 35 1.8). Either way I’d get a lighter lens that will be easier to carry around all day. The primes would give me something I don’t have (f1.8) and they are something I would use professionally, but their fixed focal length may also limit how much I use them, especially in my personal work/fun. The 24-70 f4 only gives me weight savings, but would be more useful in personal/fun photo stuff (and a little bit in some video situations).
usps tracking showbox speed test

I know this is a convoluted question, and probably one that just comes down to personal preference, but I’m having a tough time deciding and was hoping you all here could help me make up my mind/ provide some perspective, thanks!

Last edited by tanishbel87; Nov 2, 2020 at 3:19 AM.
tanishbel87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2020, 11:44 PM   #2

G'day mate

I find some difficulties with your questions above - but that's okay as you're new here

=if= you are shooting "professional family portraits" it implies many years of experience along with a high level of skills ... and yet you are asking some very basic questions about lenses??

If you have a half-decent 24-70 lens then keep it and do not start mucking around with supposedly 'newer and better' replacements

For my money - a 35 or 50mm prime is a waste of space in the kitbag UNLESS you have a damn good reason for one

As to a longer zoom - it's a toss up, and if you have some personal-physical issues, then do not go for the 'biggest and brightest' as it will be heavy as well. Choose a mid-sized F4 lens rather than an F2,8 job.

Have a sqwiz at DP Review for lenses that may fit your camera
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote