Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Nikon dSLR (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/nikon-dslr-57/)
-   -   Buyer Beware - D600 Shutter (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/nikon-dslr-57/buyer-beware-d600-shutter-209119/)

zig-123 Dec 2, 2013 6:13 PM

Buyer Beware - D600 Shutter

For those thinking about buying a refurbished camera and saving a significant portion of money off the list price, you may want to re-think that tactic.

I purchased a refurbed D600 body this past April from Adorama. I paid $1599.00 for the body- a significant savings - at the time. My logic was a refurbed camera would have been checked out by Nikon for oil spots on the sensor(a big problem). That and the fact that I hate paying retail.

Well, when I received the camera, I immediately tested it for oil and dust spots on the sensor by taking a few "Blue Sky" shots. Lo and behold, the sensor was full of oil and dust spots. I didn't make a fuss, thinking that most of my photography really didn't get impacted and, when I did see some spots on an image, it was fairly easy to correct.

Smug, in my belief that I saved a whole lot of money, I happily snapped the shutter, taking photo after photo. That is until, about 3weeks ago. when the shutter locked up intermittently. Then not it wouldn't work at all.

The short of it all is that I sent the D600 to Nikon, they replaced the shutter and charged me $236 for the service.

You see, a refurbished body doesn't come with the same warranty as a new one. I always thought that the life of a shutter was 150K shutter releases.

Now, I'm not blaming any one, Not Nikon, nor Adorama-just me. I took a chance that nothing would go wrong.

Obviously, I was wrong.

Oh, and by the way, I do not manhandle my equipment. Never dropped it. It is always in stored in a Lowe Pro bag.

So, it's not always about saving money. Sometimes you get what you paid for.
Zig

paniolo Dec 3, 2013 3:10 AM

Sorry to hear about your experience. I also purchased a refurb D800 from Cameta Camera and hope that I don't get a similar result. Difference is that Cameta extends the warranty to 1 year (extension is their's).

Nikon should step up as the D600, although a great camera, was known for the oil/dust problem but they won't acknowledge or do anything about it.

TCav Dec 3, 2013 7:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zig-123 (Post 1362885)
... I paid $1599.00 for the body- a significant savings - at the time. ...

... I sent the D600 to Nikon, they replaced the shutter and charged me $236 for the service. ...

$1,599 + $236 = $1,835

That's still a significant savings over $2,000 for a new one.

zig-123 Dec 3, 2013 8:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCav (Post 1362926)
$1,599 + $236 = $1,835

That's still a significant savings over $2,000 for a new one.

Hi TCav,

I can't argue the point. My concern is, going forward, what else will go wrong with this camera body that wont be covered by any type of warranty.

Additionally, since I don't have a spare body, how do you measure the cost of lost opportunity when I'm without a camera for 3weeks.:dontknow:

zig-123 Dec 3, 2013 8:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paniolo (Post 1362919)
Sorry to hear about your experience. I also purchased a refurb D800 from Cameta Camera and hope that I don't get a similar result. Difference is that Cameta extends the warranty to 1 year (extension is their's).

Nikon should step up as the D600, although a great camera, was known for the oil/dust problem but they won't acknowledge or do anything about it.

Hi,
Not ever having had something like this happen to me before, and I've bought a lot of used lenses/gear over the years, I didn't give a warranty much thought.

You were wise for ensuring that you bought from a vendor that provided an extended warranty.

zig-123 Dec 4, 2013 10:20 PM

Well, the story apparently doesn't end here.

Tonight I spent the evening taking photos of children sitting on Santas' lap.
I've been acting as Santa's photographer, the past 4yrs in Barnstable, MA.
It's a way of giving back to the community during the Holiday Season as well as promoting the Cape Cod Art Association, of which I'm an executive board of directors member. We try to promote the Art Association and the opportunities we provide in the areas of art appreciation, education and scholarships to young adults trying to get into college.

Well, the camera is still locking up, not focusing properly and just plain unusable. Looks like another call to Nikon service........UGH!

Franko170 Dec 4, 2013 10:25 PM

Zig,

I'm sorry to hear of your experience. My D600 has been very good to me; had some spots but cleaned up under warranty, and no problems since.

simple Dec 5, 2013 12:05 PM

I sent my d600 back on the 6th of november for the shutter plate replacing due to oil got it back on 27th november it arrived with a broken lcd so I sent it back the same day I have it back now as they put it through as a urgent repair luckily all this happened under warranty as I got 2 years and have only owned the camera 6 month .... hopefully any other faults that may occur will be within the warranty period left only time will tell.

are you using a battery grip with your 600 zig?

I use a third party one once the battery went flat in the grip and the camera locked up only until I removed the grip or replaced the battery did it function correctly as not being a genuine Nikon grip just a cheap one the switch from grip to body does not work as it should I now carry 3 batteries two for the grip and one in the body for emergency.... that was my solution

Marawder Dec 5, 2013 4:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zig-123 (Post 1362885)
you get what you paid for.

Well, sorry to hear that you had to learn your lesson the hard way. :)

zig-123 Dec 5, 2013 9:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simple (Post 1363042)
I sent my d600 back on the 6th of november for the shutter plate replacing due to oil got it back on 27th november it arrived with a broken lcd so I sent it back the same day I have it back now as they put it through as a urgent repair luckily all this happened under warranty as I got 2 years and have only owned the camera 6 month .... hopefully any other faults that may occur will be within the warranty period left only time will tell.

are you using a battery grip with your 600 zig?

I use a third party one once the battery went flat in the grip and the camera locked up only until I removed the grip or replaced the battery did it function correctly as not being a genuine Nikon grip just a cheap one the switch from grip to body does not work as it should I now carry 3 batteries two for the grip and one in the body for emergency.... that was my solution

I do not use a grip.

tacticdesigns Dec 5, 2013 9:43 PM

Zig,

Sorry to hear about your D600. Maybe the new shutter is the same one in the D610?

Hope you get up and running ASAP!

:)

Hawgwild Feb 27, 2014 1:29 AM

Zig, a fairly new member by the name of Dig just posted this over on the News Discussion forum. I know you have already paid for the service, but maybe they will discount your repairs based on this new developement. Couldn't hurt to ask.

jphess Feb 27, 2014 7:07 PM

I bought a D90 refurbished nearly 3 years ago now, I think. The LCD screen on the back is a little scuffed, but other than that the camera was in good condition. So far I haven't had any problems with it. But I think I ever purchase another camera I will probably spend the extra and get a new one. In the long run, I have decided that the little bit of savings isn't worth the risk. Even if the savings is "significant" I still like the idea of having a new unblemished camera to break in myself.

WCKSer Mar 4, 2014 8:10 PM

I am somewhat disappointed on the Nikon refurnished products. Unlike Canon refurbished product which always look new. A Nikon refurbished can look like a really well-used item with many scratches and scruffs. My friend just bought a refurbished Nikon SB-900 flash. It looks very crappy even it works very well. The carrying case is very dirty as if someone had been using it for a very long time. I don't care for it.

kazuya Mar 6, 2014 11:09 AM

haven't Nikon just pledged to replace all the D600 shutters.
even the ones out of warranty?

The latest Nikon technical advisory tells us:
"Nikon is making available to all owners of D600 cameras (even if Nikon’s product warranty has expired) this customer-service measure, which includes the inspection, cleaning and replacement of the shutter assembly and related parts of your camera, free of charge, as well as the cost of shipping D600 cameras to Nikon and their return to customers

Wingman Mar 8, 2014 1:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazuya (Post 1369457)
haven't Nikon just pledged to replace all the D600 shutters.
even the ones out of warranty?

The latest Nikon technical advisory tells us:
"Nikon is making available to all owners of D600 cameras (even if Nikonís product warranty has expired) this customer-service measure, which includes the inspection, cleaning and replacement of the shutter assembly and related parts of your camera, free of charge, as well as the cost of shipping D600 cameras to Nikon and their return to customers

I am glad to hear that Nikon has finally taking ownership to this issue and making it right by those customers who have had issues. Not sure why it took so long...I'm sure several customers defected to other brands.

Jehan

Wall-E Mar 8, 2014 7:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wingman (Post 1369589)
Not sure why it took so long...I'm sure several customers defected to other brands.

Jehan

A proposed class action suit was the impetus to Nikon.

Scouse Mar 10, 2014 1:21 PM

In light of this I received my brand new D600 on Saturday. Had to do a shoot on a house for a new listing yesterday and I have to say that I'm really happy. The only problems were my fumbling with all the (New to me) controls and placement of them.

But all in all a good experience. Got an excellent price on the body. Less than a lot of used and refurbished ones. Came simply with a battery and charger along with a cheap strap I can use as a dog leash!!!

Ran out to Costco Sunday AM, for a couple of SD ultra high speed cards, $30, I can live with that.

No signs of oil spots and the shutter works (as of now) perfectly. Looking forward to a photo trip. Promised to take Mrs Scouse out for a picnic to Fort Casey, her birthday is next weekend. I'm sure she knows I have an ulterior motive. :)
Still got some old WWI & II guns there to protect Puget Sound plus a fine lighthouse and small ferry dock. I may even toss in a bottle of plonk for her....:D

Franko170 Apr 12, 2014 8:32 PM

Just sent my D600 to Nikon earlier today. Will wait to see if they replace the shutter or send me info on getting a D610 as a replacement. I had my camera in once previously for sensor spots, and saw recently that they had returned.

I read from one person in another forum, that got the new shutter in their D600, that the new shutter makes a different sound; anyone else notice this that received a new shutter?

Either way I'll be happy as I had over 60,000 actuations on my D600 shutter, so a win-win for me. Am also curious to know from anyone who has a D610 if the new 'quiet mode' is truly more quiet.

HarjTT Apr 13, 2014 7:28 PM

I just hate it when camera manufacturers, just stick their heads in the sand when something is obvisouly broken and is a manufacturing or design defect and deny all responsibility. Oly's E-3 AF issues when it was released and that was never properly acknowldged by Olympus or rectified.

Zig, I hope they fixed your D600's shutter for free and cover anything else thats like to fail due to design choices that they Nikon have made. Kudo's to Nikon for fixing all D600 shutters for free, even if its late in the day. Its something that some of the other brands wouldn't do.

Cheers

Harj

PS.. ken, post some pics from the new cam!

Franko170 Apr 13, 2014 10:28 PM

Well, Nikon was threatened with a class action lawsuit, that might have influenced them to make things right.

Scouse Apr 14, 2014 10:29 PM

My buddy Terry 600 just had dark spots every now and then but he sent it in anyway, just in case.
New shutter, updated firmware, sensor cleaning etc. etc. etc.

2 week from the day he sent it, it was back. All free inc. post.

We went out the other day on a photo shoot in a graveyard to try it out. Dull damp day so I shot in B&W. I'll put them in a new thread. Let me know what you think.

zig-123 Apr 15, 2014 2:51 PM

A most pleasant surprise

When I picked up my mail yesterday, there in the pile was an envelope from Nikon. When I opened it I was very much surprised to read a letter stating that the spot issue was indeed a problem and, in view of my being charged to have the shutter replaced in my D600, Nikon was refunding the money. Enclosed was a check for $236.50.

I didn't expect that.
Thank you Nikon.

Franko170 Apr 15, 2014 4:58 PM

Zig, good to hear.

HarjTT Apr 15, 2014 5:34 PM

Hey Zig

Agree with Frank . Kudos to Nikon for doing that for you and I'm hoping that they do the same for everyone else thats been impacted by this.

This reminds me of a friend that bought a used Canon 5D Mk1, which after a few months suffered shutter failure to her suprise, Canon fixed it for free.. apparently its a known issue with the 5D and theres a free replacement service if 5D shutter ever failed for the first time. Don't think you'd get that kind of service from many other companies ..

simple Apr 24, 2014 1:22 PM

my d600 had the shutter replaced 4 month ago it is going back again for the same reason spots have been noticed again I emailed nikon they said to return it and they will have a look I have not had it 12 month yet and they will have had it two month once it goes back

Scouse Apr 25, 2014 1:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zig-123 (Post 1372091)
When I picked up my mail yesterday, there in the pile was an envelope from Nikon. When I opened it I was very much surprised to read a letter stating that the spot issue was indeed a problem and, in view of my being charged to have the shutter replaced in my D600, Nikon was refunding the money. Enclosed was a check for $236.50.

I didn't expect that.
Thank you Nikon.

Well done Zig. Good to know.

Terry and I went down to the beach last week for a bit of a walk about with cameras. He was late coming from the car and I gave him a hard time about missing the tide and then he told me his camera strap. A fancy non skid one, slipped off his shoulder and his 70-200 2.8 lens hit the ground face first. Shattered the filter and chipped and dented the front unit. Tried another lens and the camera wouldn't shoot.
Sick, very sick.

He sent it away (The camera) back to Nikon who had just repaired it. Got a letter yesterday that they were going through it, replacing the shutter (again) and sending it back "No charge!"

The lens will probably be a little different......

zig-123 May 1, 2014 6:48 AM

Hi Guys,

Talked to a friend the other day who also owns a D600. Had the shutter replaced/cleaned by Nikon twice. Sent it in a 3rd time for the same issue.
He told me he complained like heck. Nikon replaced it with a D610 at no charge.

Personally, I feel that the larger camera companies have to either make right a problem or replace a product. It's a matter of survival. In this day and age there are simply too many choices in good competitive equipment.

Ken,
Your story about your friend's 70-200mm F2.8 strikes too close to home.
I just got my 70-200mm back from Nikon repair. The AF stopped working -no clue as to how or why it happened. I felt lost without that lens.
Zig

Franko170 May 2, 2014 12:24 AM

Got my D600 back late last week, immediately went out and tested it at a fastpitch softball game. I reset all the controls first (to avoid having to do that, put settings on an SD card and then restore it later).

I set U1 and U2 to specific settings - U1 is set for daylight sports - minimum shutter speed, ISO range. U2 is set for low light/high ISO.

To my surprise U1 was now not functioning correctly after receiving a new shutter. Shutter speed now won't go over 1/125th of a sec while in U1. It worked fine before the shutter was replaced.

Back on the phone with Nikon. Told them what the problem was, now it's back at Nikon with free 2 day air shipping and no charge for whatever they decide to do to 'fix' the problem. If I get it back and it is fine - OK, but if dust/oil again appears in the upper left corner then I'm going to be 'requesting' a 610 as the only right answer. (I had the sensor cleaned once under Best Buy warranty, then shutter replaced, now shutter doesn't work correctly in all functions, 3 strikes).

zig-123 May 2, 2014 6:27 AM

Sorry to hear about your issues with Nikon service. Your's is an altogether too familiar story. I know too many friends who have similar experiences with the level of service provided by Nikon - regardless of camera body.

I hope you get it back working properly, as new.

Zig

Franko170 May 9, 2014 10:14 PM

My D600 is being shipped back to me, Nikon Tech said they did another reset (did one on the phone with tech the first time and it didn't help) and now they say the shutter is fine; we shall see as I'll test it as soon as I get it back.

I logged in at Nikon website service/support and asked a couple questions. If shutter is the same as previous, a 610 shutter or some other variation and if the specs would be the same - fps etc. I received an email earlier this evening saying it is the same shutter with 'improved parts' to help prevent the problem from reoccurring.

MarceloLI May 21, 2014 8:16 PM

Today in the morning I dropped at Nikon Melville my D600, I was planning to do it since the Service Advisory came out but I was traveling all the past two months.

The technician was very courteous and he explained that is not oil on the sensor the problem with the D600 but electromagnetic dust ( i have my doubts) he stated they will fix the issue and I will have back my camera in 6-8 days.

Lets see what happen and I hope I have the same luck of Zig and receive a check :-)

Marcelo

Scouse May 24, 2014 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarceloLI (Post 1374344)
Today in the morning I dropped at Nikon Melville my D600, I was planning to do it since the Service Advisory came out but I was traveling all the past two months.

The technician was very courteous and he explained that is not oil on the sensor the problem with the D600 but electromagnetic dust ( i have my doubts) he stated they will fix the issue and I will have back my camera in 6-8 days.

Lets see what happen and I hope I have the same luck of Zig and receive a check :-)

Marcelo

Perhaps you should mention that dust tends to stick to oil...:)

My friend Terry suggested (strongly) that a new 610 would be acceptable but they fixed his a second time and sent it back. Seems to be working fine, right now!

Franko170 May 28, 2014 1:05 AM

I'm going to put some mileage on my D600 since its shutter replacement and cleanings. I did some test shots within the first few dozen frames - aimed at sky at f16. There seemed to be two faint spots - not just teeny specks, round spots - like they were never completely cleaned off from previous cleanings by Nikon and by Best Buy Geek Squad. In a couple months I will shoot some f16 at the sky again and see if the problem is 'symptomatic' - not just if there is dust/oil, but if it comes back in the same upper left corner where it was before. I have been very careful about changing lenses. If when I look there is not much difference, then fine, the D600 is a great camera and I will on occasion give it a cleaning. Maybe pick up one of those sensor gel sticks that came out. BUT if it has dust/oil in the upper left where it was before, I would consider that as evidence that the problem remains. Then I will start talking about where's my 610.

zig-123 Jul 30, 2014 8:33 PM

Another Service Advisory

Received another Nikon Service Advisory regarding the problems associated with the D600.
I am, again, (3rd time) returning this body to Nikon for repair or hopefully replacement.

This is the most frustrating experience I've ever had with a digital camera,
regardless of the brand.

I sure hope they do what's right this time.

Zig

Franko170 Aug 9, 2014 12:12 AM

U1 is again malfunctioning on my D600. I had to do a full reset last time it happened, and it's back. When using Auto ISO, Setting U1 and U2 to the same settings and shooting at the same scene, the u2 works fine but the U1 won't give me shutter speed I want. Will be making a phone call to Nikon again soon.

In the meantime I'm still getting some great photos with it working around the problems.

Here's a shot I took a few weeks ago with an 85 1.8D set at f/3.2, informal portrait that took about 10 secs.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...378blueafb.jpg

Wingman Aug 9, 2014 10:21 AM

Beautiful image...lighting and texture are A+.

Franko170 Aug 9, 2014 4:09 PM

Thank you Wingman, at a small park in the middle of South Bass Island on Lake Erie - asked subject to have a seat on a dolphin statue, took about 3-4 shots and we moved on.