Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Nikon dSLR (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/nikon-dslr-57/)
-   -   Buyer Beware - D600 Shutter (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/nikon-dslr-57/buyer-beware-d600-shutter-209119/)

tacticdesigns Dec 5, 2013 9:43 PM

Zig,

Sorry to hear about your D600. Maybe the new shutter is the same one in the D610?

Hope you get up and running ASAP!

:)

Hawgwild Feb 27, 2014 1:29 AM

Zig, a fairly new member by the name of Dig just posted this over on the News Discussion forum. I know you have already paid for the service, but maybe they will discount your repairs based on this new developement. Couldn't hurt to ask.

jphess Feb 27, 2014 7:07 PM

I bought a D90 refurbished nearly 3 years ago now, I think. The LCD screen on the back is a little scuffed, but other than that the camera was in good condition. So far I haven't had any problems with it. But I think I ever purchase another camera I will probably spend the extra and get a new one. In the long run, I have decided that the little bit of savings isn't worth the risk. Even if the savings is "significant" I still like the idea of having a new unblemished camera to break in myself.

WCKSer Mar 4, 2014 8:10 PM

I am somewhat disappointed on the Nikon refurnished products. Unlike Canon refurbished product which always look new. A Nikon refurbished can look like a really well-used item with many scratches and scruffs. My friend just bought a refurbished Nikon SB-900 flash. It looks very crappy even it works very well. The carrying case is very dirty as if someone had been using it for a very long time. I don't care for it.

kazuya Mar 6, 2014 11:09 AM

haven't Nikon just pledged to replace all the D600 shutters.
even the ones out of warranty?

The latest Nikon technical advisory tells us:
"Nikon is making available to all owners of D600 cameras (even if Nikon’s product warranty has expired) this customer-service measure, which includes the inspection, cleaning and replacement of the shutter assembly and related parts of your camera, free of charge, as well as the cost of shipping D600 cameras to Nikon and their return to customers

Wingman Mar 8, 2014 1:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazuya (Post 1369457)
haven't Nikon just pledged to replace all the D600 shutters.
even the ones out of warranty?

The latest Nikon technical advisory tells us:
"Nikon is making available to all owners of D600 cameras (even if Nikonís product warranty has expired) this customer-service measure, which includes the inspection, cleaning and replacement of the shutter assembly and related parts of your camera, free of charge, as well as the cost of shipping D600 cameras to Nikon and their return to customers

I am glad to hear that Nikon has finally taking ownership to this issue and making it right by those customers who have had issues. Not sure why it took so long...I'm sure several customers defected to other brands.

Jehan

Wall-E Mar 8, 2014 7:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wingman (Post 1369589)
Not sure why it took so long...I'm sure several customers defected to other brands.

Jehan

A proposed class action suit was the impetus to Nikon.

Scouse Mar 10, 2014 1:21 PM

In light of this I received my brand new D600 on Saturday. Had to do a shoot on a house for a new listing yesterday and I have to say that I'm really happy. The only problems were my fumbling with all the (New to me) controls and placement of them.

But all in all a good experience. Got an excellent price on the body. Less than a lot of used and refurbished ones. Came simply with a battery and charger along with a cheap strap I can use as a dog leash!!!

Ran out to Costco Sunday AM, for a couple of SD ultra high speed cards, $30, I can live with that.

No signs of oil spots and the shutter works (as of now) perfectly. Looking forward to a photo trip. Promised to take Mrs Scouse out for a picnic to Fort Casey, her birthday is next weekend. I'm sure she knows I have an ulterior motive. :)
Still got some old WWI & II guns there to protect Puget Sound plus a fine lighthouse and small ferry dock. I may even toss in a bottle of plonk for her....:D

Franko170 Apr 12, 2014 8:32 PM

Just sent my D600 to Nikon earlier today. Will wait to see if they replace the shutter or send me info on getting a D610 as a replacement. I had my camera in once previously for sensor spots, and saw recently that they had returned.

I read from one person in another forum, that got the new shutter in their D600, that the new shutter makes a different sound; anyone else notice this that received a new shutter?

Either way I'll be happy as I had over 60,000 actuations on my D600 shutter, so a win-win for me. Am also curious to know from anyone who has a D610 if the new 'quiet mode' is truly more quiet.

HarjTT Apr 13, 2014 7:28 PM

I just hate it when camera manufacturers, just stick their heads in the sand when something is obvisouly broken and is a manufacturing or design defect and deny all responsibility. Oly's E-3 AF issues when it was released and that was never properly acknowldged by Olympus or rectified.

Zig, I hope they fixed your D600's shutter for free and cover anything else thats like to fail due to design choices that they Nikon have made. Kudo's to Nikon for fixing all D600 shutters for free, even if its late in the day. Its something that some of the other brands wouldn't do.

Cheers

Harj

PS.. ken, post some pics from the new cam!