Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Nikon dSLR (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/nikon-dslr-57/)
-   -   D40 life expectancy? (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/nikon-dslr-57/d40-life-expectancy-169855/)

NotDadsW41 Apr 26, 2010 8:55 PM

D40 life expectancy?

Hi All,

I purchased a D40 about 3 years ago. It has served me well since then. I love the camera. About a year ago, I noticed a hot pixel. This week I noticed another. I have taken a little over 12K photos so far.

So my question is what should I expect as far as life expectancy out of this D40?

shoturtle Apr 26, 2010 8:58 PM

It should last to 100k for entry level camera. You may want to send it to nikon to get a estimated on the repair.

Mark1616 Apr 26, 2010 9:10 PM

I think I saw the D40 rated for 50,000 shutter cycles but can't totally remember. However many people have seen the mech do that over and over so nothing to worry about. As for the stuck pixel I'm not sure if Nikon has a soft method of dealing with them, I would do some googling as well as finding out a repair cost.

pbjunkiee Apr 27, 2010 2:20 PM

if you post your most recent picture with exif data on it, i should be able to get your shutter count just so you can have an idea about where you are at.

Hards80 Apr 27, 2010 2:29 PM

PB, that number in the EXIF will only be valid if he has not reset or updated the firmware

Mark1616 Apr 27, 2010 2:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbjunkiee (Post 1086089)
if you post your most recent picture with exif data on it, i should be able to get your shutter count just so you can have an idea about where you are at.

I think it was answered in the first post too so it is not needed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotDadsW41 (Post 1085760)
I have taken a little over 12K photos so far.

NotDadsW41 Apr 27, 2010 6:38 PM

Thanks guys. I've kept track as I know the counter rolled at 9999. ;-) Took me a little while to figure out why I was getting images with the same file name for a minute or two.

I'm going to check with Nikon about the sensor and the hot pixels. I thought given I was seeing a new one, I was getting close. But it sounds like this camera has lots of life left in it. I hope so. I like it a lot.

Alex D May 9, 2010 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hards80 (Post 1086098)
PB, that number in the EXIF will only be valid if he has not reset or updated the firmware

Sorry ,Don't think that will reset the shutter count!

deadshot May 10, 2010 2:58 PM

As a matter of interest, I sent my D40 back to Nikon for hot pixels repair. I had 3 and they were right near the middle. Anyway the camera came back with those removed but severall new ones. So I returned it again and they got rid of them but the bad news is, I got some more appear not long after, so I gave up and just kept clonong them out.
Apparently the CMOS sensor is less prone to hot pixels according to Nikon.

wilson44512 May 13, 2010 4:16 PM

i had mine for 3 years. and has 25,000 clicks. its still going strong. when i sold it. so i could get a D90