Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Nikon dSLR (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/nikon-dslr-57/)
-   -   I own a D50: should I feel insecure? (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/nikon-dslr-57/i-own-d50-should-i-feel-insecure-110066/)

Karmin Dec 26, 2006 10:56 PM

Hi, I'm a "very" proud owner of a D50 but I must say that all this noise about the D40 is beginning to make me feel insecure about it. I'm neither a pro or a beginner. I position myself as a "middle of the road" fussy photographer when it comes to image qualities as noise, blown highlights or blur. But all l this bang about the D40 has had me going to the camera store where I bought my D50 and...ask for a replacement. Salesman abruptly stopped me from doing it saying I would not gain so much more in term of image quality and functions. Came back home and then I read that Nikon changed the algorythms inside the camera making the D40 delivering still much more stunning photos than the D50. I wonder if there will be many D50 owners that will make the switch. As for me, I'm won't be listening any more to "D40 blows D50 away". I just hop eI won't regret it... Cheers. Germain

Ronnie948 Dec 26, 2006 11:27 PM

Hi Germain,

Enjoy your D50, From what I have read about the two cameras I would still prefer the D50 over the D40. They left off some features on the D40 that the D50 has. A D50 owner that also has a D40probably can tell you more about the major differences. I'm sure the final photograph from either camera is just as good as if it was done with a D100, D200, D1X or D2X. A good properly exposed picture can be accomplished with any of these cameras. It's the extra features and stuff like the larger buffer on the D2X and D200 that make a big difference in these higher end cameras. Read Steve's reviews and not the advertisement hype and you will be happy with your D50.

Ronnie

JimC Dec 26, 2006 11:41 PM

There are many good reasons to select the D50 instead of the D40, including reasons from Tamron, Sigma, Tokina, Cosina/Vivitar and more.

That's because the vast majority of third party lenses won't Autofocus on a D40, since it's missing an in body focus motor.

That also means you won't have Autofocus on a number of Nikkor lenses (including a lot of good primes).

If you only want to use newer Nikkor AF-S lenses or Sigma lenses with HSM, the D40 would be fine. But, if you want to be able to tap into a lot more lenses, I'd stick with the D50.

rjseeney Dec 27, 2006 7:20 AM

Image quality is probably very close, and if you shoot in RAW, the difference is probably negligible. The D50 has so many more features it is truly a step up from the D40 in terms of feature set. I wouldn't lose anymore sleep over it.

JohnK Dec 28, 2006 10:22 PM

I'm sure the D40 is a very good camera, but I don't think you have any reason to feel insecure with the D50. You can look all over here and other places to see amazing photos taken with the D50, I doubt the D40 will really do better. I have no doubt the person behind the camera will make far more difference than there is between the D40 and D50.

John

Monza76 Dec 29, 2006 12:17 PM

JimC wrote:
Quote:

There are many good reasons to select the D50 instead of the D40, including reasons from Tamron, Sigma, Tokina, Cosina/Vivitar and more.

That's because the vast majority of third party lenses won't Autofocus on a D40, since it's missing an in body focus motor.

That also means you won't have Autofocus on a number of Nikkor lenses (including a lot of good primes).

If you only want to use newer Nikkor AF-S lenses or Sigma lenses with HSM, the D40 would be fine. But, if you want to be able to tap into a lot more lenses, I'd stick with the D50.

JimC makes the best argument for the D50 over the D40. I see the D40 as a truly "beginner" camera for someone who has no current lenses and will probably end up with the kit lens and something in the 50-200mm range and never buy anything else. The D50 opens up the owner to a vast range of older AFlenses and third party lenses a big plus (especially since the D50 image quality is excellent anyway, the D40 offering very little advantage here)

Ira

Stujoe Dec 31, 2006 9:12 AM

I had the choice of getting either the D40 or D50 when I bought mine 2 weeks ago. I went with the D50 because 2 out of the 3 lenses I wanted to buy right away wouldn't autofocus with the D40. And 1 of the next 2 I want to buy down the road won't auto focus with it either. The D40 seems like a fine camera but it just wasn't for me.