Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 5, 2006, 12:04 PM   #1

I am quite interested in this new Nikkor 18-135mm (one of the kit lenses for D80). I am using D50.

I feel the zoom range is just the right balance between convenience & quality. My experience with the three 18-200mm (Nikkor, Tamron & Sigma, is that the resolution at the tele-end is not sharp enough)

Some questions:

1. Any reviews or sample pictures so far?

2. Is it to be sold serparately from D80?

Thx!

big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2006, 3:07 PM   #2

I haven't had much time to play with my D80 yet, but I got it with the 18-135. Tell you what, if it turns out to bea bad lens, I'll sell it to you :lol: I like the range it provides, but it is fairly heavy (guess I'm too used to my PnS's!)and it extends pretty far at full zoom.

I can probably post some pics when I get some time, but I'm not much ofa lens reviewer.
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 4:06 AM   #3

"but it is fairly heavy"

At 385 gram only, you said it's heavy ???

It may be potentially one of my lightest lenses in weight.

Most of my lenses are above 400gram.

The lightest is only a fixed-focal-lenth 50mm f/1.8 and/or the D50 kit-lense 18-55mm, both I guess, weight about 200gram.

It's light-weight is one of the reasons I am so interested in it.
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 5:48 AM   #4

I would expect it to be no worse than the 18-55, with the typical problems at the extremes of the zoom range. Like most consumer grade lenses it should be a solid if unremarkable performer.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 10:20 AM   #5

big_potato wrote:
Quote:
At 385 gram only, you said it's heavy ???

It may be potentially one of my lightest lenses in weight.
Well, like I said...I'm not much of a lens reviewer I've really only had experience with kit lenses from Olympus, Canon, Nikon, and Pentax.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 5:05 PM   #6

I`m interested in this lens as it covers the range that I shoot.I`d like to see some sample pics.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"TD
tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 8:45 PM   #7

Alright, a few from today. Most of these were at ISO1600 because I was testing it out, but you won't see the quality because I'm not posting full size images for these. They are just to show lens range and vingetting mostly (there will be 1 full size image to show CA)...

First pic is 135mm (full zoom). What's up with the vingetting at full zoom? :? I was using the lens shroud, but that shouldn't matter at tele...

The next two images are really only to show the levels of zoom (wideangle is first, full telephoto is second)...

This next image will be to show the CA (aka purple fringing, but in this case green and red). It is a wideangle shot at ISO1600 (so you can see noise levels as well)...CAseems most obviouson the chimeney to the left of the image, in the leaves at the top of the tree, around the van window and along the back edge...Kind of ugly, but not horrifically bad.

http://www.danshobbyshack.com/temp/d...018resaved.jpg

All small posted images were only resized and run through a mild unsharp mask. The full size image was not touched, except to resave from CS2 as a lower quality ( 8 ) jpg to save space.

This lens can take some good pics, but there's some obvious shortcomings to it.

I hope you guys don't take this as if the lens is crap. It's not that bad. I've taken some pretty nice shots around the house/of family. I just wanted to post these as informative pics.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 8:51 PM   #8

Here's another crappy image :lol: My first D80 bird at ISO1600. Don't all be impressed at once!:G

Wow, I really need a long tele lens! :-)
Old Sep 8, 2006, 2:47 AM   #9

Thanks for the samples. Is there much vignetting at the wide angle end?

It seems strange that there is vignetting at the tele end but I had seen that before on other sample on the net.

I am not sure why Nikon don't make any DX lenses which don't vignette. I have never had a Nikkor lens which vignettes with film but now the sensor is smaller so there shuld be even less risk of vignetting Nikon seem to have made every DX lens so it vignettes

Keith.
keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2006, 6:44 AM   #10

Quote:
What's up with the vingetting at full zoom? :? I was using the lens shroud, but that shouldn't matter at tele...
Do you have a filter on the lens?? I can't imagine any other reason that this lens would have vignetting at full zoom. If not, I would be very disappointed.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote