Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 5, 2006, 8:32 PM   #1

I have been wrestling with the decision over which DSLR to get and have begun to settle on the idea of a D70s (although the Sony Alpha keeps rearing its head in the conversations with the wife)...Then along comes the D80 to make me start guessing again. Anyone have any hands-on with the D80? Is it worth the extra $300 or so? And why doesn't it come with the 18-70mm? That 18-135mm has great range but is seems really big, any reactions?

FYI...I do a lot shooting indoors of moving targets (my kids!) so I was landing on Nikon for its superior speed and low light capabilities. That seem accurate?

Thanks
2sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2006, 7:12 PM   #2

I have a D80 and D200 and actually prefer JPegs from the D80, especially at high ISOs. In some respects the D80 is 95% of a D200 for 700 less. In addition the D80 has the D200's bright finder and focus module. It's a killer camera. I also own a D70, which still gets some use. Ergonomics and features pulled from certain Canons keep me away, plus I really prefer Nikon glass. I held the new Sony and it feels quite cheap, though I'm sure it's pretty good. Still, when it comes to cameras, bodies come and go. It's about the lenses and Nikon glass is superb if you buy the good stuff.

Good luck!

Capt. Bogart
Captain Bogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 8:28 PM   #3

Thanks for the input...I found this link on the a post on dpreview: http://photo-cafe.jp/scoop/index.html

The big reason that I was hesitant about the D80 was because it supposedly used the same sensor as the Sony Alpha A100 and that camera has been getting lots of criticism for noise at high ISOs and really throughout the ISO range. If you look at the comparisons on that site, you can see that the D80 just blows the Alpha away at any ISO. The Alpha is even consistently underexposed. I AM SOLD...I WANT A D80!!!!

So now lenses...I know I don't want the 18-55mm kit lens and the 18-135mm seems big and I wonder about its quality (plastic lens mount?). I would really like to get it with the 18-70mm, why don't they make a kit with that lens (or do they)? The D70s kit with that lensadds $200 +/- to the body only price,the price to buy it seperately with a body adds about $300, the same price as the d80 kit with the 18-135mm.

Anyone know where to get the kit with the 18-70mm? Or where I can get a cheap one?
2sides is offline   Reply With Quote