Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 6, 2006, 3:34 PM   #1

Well, it looks like I'm now (as of 9/3)a Nikonian. Most of my shooting is for fun and done in JPG mode. However, now that I finally have a caemra that can do RAW (yep, my previous 4 camera's couldn't!), I'm interested in trying it out.

I understand Nikon has a proprietary .NEF (?) format that can't be modified by other software...is this true? I want to get the cheapest andbest (I know, fat chance) software to convert and modify the RAW files.

Is Capture NX the only software for me? I currently own CS2. Does that have any plugins for it?

Thanks.
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2006, 4:14 PM   #2

Photoshop/elements can open nikon RAW files as long as you have the current Raw encryption database up to date, which is a free download from Adobe. I personally don't like Nikon capture. I'm just too lazy to learn new software...I'm comfortable with Photoshop.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 6:16 PM   #3

Did I forget to mention it's a D80? *boggle* Sorry...I checked Adobe's site and the D80 doesn't seem to be supported yet. Is there another program?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I suppose Adobe will have their site updated with the correct plugin, but I'm curious how long that will take...

Thanks.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 6:40 PM   #4

It shouldn't take too long for adobe to support the new camera.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 1:08 PM   #5

Adobe Lightroom is a free beta that will handle NEF files nicely.

DxO Optics Pro is a fully automated solution that will apply lens distortion correction and any assortment of options. A bit slow in processing, but you can just leave them in fully automatic. DxO also allows you to use complex manual adjustments or a basic adjustments module.
reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 10:13 PM   #6

Picasa may work?
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 6:29 AM   #7

swgod98 : For NEF and RAW, you can use too the Bibble software from http://www.bibblelabs.com/ and Capture ONE PRO from http://www.phaseone.com they have some diferent software to work with RAW and professional way. You can try some of them. They are very good to use, not only for Nikon, for Canon and any other camera that use RAW. Carlitin
Carlitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 12:34 PM   #8

Thanks guys.