Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 7, 2006, 11:52 PM   #1

Hello,I own 3 Lithium Ion batteries for my Nikon D70. Two of them are the original EN-EL3 battery, while the third one is the newer EN-EL3a battery. In the past month each of them were fully charged. Since then I have taken many photos, however, none of them were used to their full charge capacity.*I plan to photograph an event for the whole day on this Saturday and I am concerned my batteries will not have enough charge to last the day.Question:Would I shorten the battery life /ruin my 3*Lithium Ion batteries if I fully charged them again for Saturday's shoot? Or do they need to be depleted first before I fully charge them?Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!Neil
MisterNeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2006, 1:13 AM   #2
rey

I've read on several sites that Lithium-ions are the type that should be charged often, and should not be drained completely. I also read that when not in used for a long period of time, if possible, they should be stored with 40% charge.

My mobile phone battery is also Li-Ion and I plug it in almost daily, and it had lasted three years so far. (That should be kinda related.)

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2006, 3:51 AM   #3

Li-Ion batteries don't need discharging before charging but sometimes they seem to not give full capacity until they have had a deep discharge. This may be more to do with the controller chips than the chemistry so may only apply to certain devices (e.g. laptop batteries).

Keith.
keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2006, 4:05 AM   #4

I always on buying a battery fully charge it and discharge it at least twice as advised in the manual. LI batteries are not thoughsupposed to have a memory and after three years the original battery in the D70 performs as well as ever. The D2X (which I use much more frequently than the other) is still capable of over 3,000 shots per charge and I wonder why I ever bought a spare battery for it since it has never been used.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2006, 11:56 AM   #5

LI batteries do not have the memory problem, and you can normally charge them when ever you like (the first few cycles, it is a good idea to run them down).

HOWEVER, the charger that comes with the D70 is not very good. It does not monitor the charge to the battery - it only works as a timer. Therefor, that charger can fry your battery because it is treating your battery as if it were fully depleted.

Darrell
Darrell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 7:19 PM   #6

I would like to thank everyone who replied to my question!
MisterNeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 10:43 PM   #7

cameranserai wrote:
Quote:
I always on buying a battery fully charge it and discharge it at least twice as advised in the manual. LI batteries are not thoughsupposed to have a memory and after three years the original battery in the D70 performs as well as ever. The D2X (which I use much more frequently than the other) is still capable of over 3,000 shots per charge and I wonder why I ever bought a spare battery for it since it has never been used.

Is that with the built-in flash, frequent use of lcd? I'm looking at a dSLR in the next 6 months and want a battery grip that can take AA just in case both batteries run out.

How long do these battery chargers take and what kind of aftermarket chargers are there?
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 2:56 AM   #8

I can't help you much here I'm afraid since I use the D2X most of the time but AA batteries won't last long in a DSLR anyway so won't be much use no matter what make you buy. They are a last resort solution and even in a P&S they don't last long. Far better buy an extra battery for the camera from Ebay.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2006, 8:35 PM   #9

Read what Ken Rockwell has to say about charging Lithium Ion Batteries

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/battery-life.htm

I have a battery grip on my D200, I charge the depleted battery after a days shoot (not fully discharged) and swap the batteries around so as to get even useage.

TD
tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2006, 11:24 PM   #10

I have a P&S and the AA last a long time unless I take a lot of flash photography.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote