Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 13, 2002, 12:00 AM   #1

Default What one lens for Nikon D100?

Hi Guys,

I don't own any Nikon lens. I am getting my Nikon soon and would like to get ready with one lens (for now). I will be doing mainly portrait shoots, with occasional weddings. May need some close-ups, too. What should be my first (zoom) lens? Where would I get it cheaper? Would you mention also none Nikkor lens, compatible with D100?

Thank you in advance,

Luby.
Luby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2002, 5:54 PM   #2

Hi Luby,

I would suggest the Nikon 28-105. You'll be able to do wides and zoom-ins. In addition, I would add a prime. I just purchased the 50mm 1.4D and it's great for portraits.

If you can spend more, and you are concentrating on weddings and portraits, get the AF-S 28-70mm. Hands down, you'll love it. I have the AF-S 80-200 because at the moment, I do more action and wildlife than portraits, but it is next on my list.

You may be able to get some good results from a Sigma 15-30 or 17-35, but I have heard mixed reviews. You would be better off trying out the lens at your local camera store, if you have one nearby and they stock the lens.

- JB
Jason Busch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2002, 11:09 PM   #3

Hi Jason,

Thank you for the answer. I ordered a Nikkor 28-105 today. Other lenses have to wait a little for my account to get healthier.

Best of luck,

Luby.
Old Jul 18, 2002, 12:34 AM   #4

Default your lens

don't forget the conversion factor of 1.5. your 28-105 in actual digi-spec will be a 42-157.5mm this is due to the ccd being smaller than 35mm film. it only uses a section of the lens. whereas a true 35mm uses all the lens. so what you got there is now a moderate standard to a good tele. if you want wide you have to get real wide. like a 17mm to be the equiv of approx 33mm. ain't it great the way they design these things.

[Edited on 7-18-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2002, 10:47 PM   #5

Thanks for the explanation. I was aware of the 1.5 factor, but not with the mechanics. If it is using only "a part of the lens", is it the good part?

Aside from the joke-like question, I read that some, if not all, of the lenses have barrel and other distortions. Would those be less with the digital, due to this factor, would they be exaggerated or be the same?

Thanks again,

Luby.
Old Jul 22, 2002, 5:05 PM   #6

Default Luby's Lens....

Dear Luby, You got the right lens for wedding/portrait stuff. Your 28-105, as mentioned, is really a 42 to 157.5 mm...perfect for what you are doing. Buy a rubber lens shade
(62mm diameter), the rubber is a great "bumper" to absorb shocks over the life of the lens.
Never buy a Non-Nikon brand lens. All second party lenses are mechcanicallyand optically inferior. The 28-70 2.8 Nikon lens is TOO heavy, TOO giant, and TOO expensive....horribly unpractical. The 80-200 2.8 Nikon is also UNLIFTable......here's a question: What is an 80mm lens which focuses only as close as 5 feet worth for portraits ? Answer: not much.
So...........Your 28-105 should be a delight !
Bim the cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2002, 10:24 AM   #7

i wouldn't push that non nikon lens line too hard. nikon is not the god of optics. the make good products and then there have been marginal ones. after owning/using an f4, f5, n90s i have found the sigma 28-70 2.8 ex lens to be tack sharp and pretty much my standard lens. a wee bit easier on the pocketbook too. i own a nikon 20-35 2.8 also (not so easy on the pocketbook). they compliment each other. i would venture to say that in the lower speed lenses with variable apetures they (nikon) might be better.

[Edited on 7-24-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2002, 1:48 AM   #8

17mm * 1.5 = 25.5mm

Remember, the only thing that is being done with the smaller-than-film imagers we work with is that the image circle falls outside of the active imaging area. The CCD thus sees the center 2/3 of the lens, which is the best part. Your lens will perform better in most cases assuming the optics are any good to start out with, and if you need more field of view, in most cases you can simply back up. In cases where that is not an option, of course working with a wider lens is the way to go.

The 28-105 is a very uniform lens -- not perfect but very consistent over the aperture, distance and focal range. In my opinion it is the best of the inexpensive zooms. I'd highly recommend the $100 50mm f/1.8D though. This is a cheap entry into top-grade glass, and a 50mm lens is quite easy to foot-zoom, as well as being useful in low-light conditions and far, far better than *any* zoom.
RonReznick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2002, 9:10 AM   #9

My personal preference for one lense would have been (and is) the 24-85mm f2.8 - 4.0. Especially, for taking pictures at weddings.
hlush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2002, 12:24 PM   #10
Administrator

I haven't seen or used one myself but the new <a href="http://www.tamron.com/35mm/35mm_af/a28300a06.htm">Tamron 28-300 XR</a> looks pretty impressive for a non-Nikkor lens. That's a lot of focal length coverage in one, compact and lightweight 420g lens.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote