Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 16, 2006, 1:04 AM   #11

What has turning off the camera got to do with dust? The "CCD charge" myth?

I am not aware of the Olympus dust system shaking any cameras to bits.

Keith.

Ronnie948 wrote:
Quote:
All Ya Gotta Do Is:

"TURN OFF THE CAMERA"

When You Change The Lens

I'm glad my D200 does not shake all of the dirt inside the camera every time I turn it on or off. All of that shaking is probably going to screw up the focus or CCDsooner or later in the cameras that have that on them. I think if you shake something enough something has to loosen up or break off.

Ronnie
keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 7:07 AM   #12

I'm not denying that a dust removal system wouldn't be nice. However, it is not enough to make me decide to buy into a specific system. Dust removal does not reduce the need to occasionally clean the sensor. Dust is not removed from the camera body and will eventually find its way back onto the sensor and have to be cleaned off anyway.

In 18 months I've cleaned my sensors 3 times, twice on my d70, once on my d50, and invested all of about 15 minutes in the process combined. I average 200-500 shots per week and change lenses frequently. An in camera dust removal system may have cut my needs in 1/2 at best. Saving 7 1/2 minutes every year and a half is not that significant to me.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 9:25 AM   #13

nikon is still great at high iso's, amazing lenses, and great colors and speed. but the marketing department is stupid.. atleast.. if they even have one.
it doesn't matter if they lie and glorify a bit, if they market their products better then they make more money, so they can make more features in a camera that really matter (like wheater sealing).

i'm not a camera pro, but i do know something about the camera market. and most of the money comes from the consumer camera's and not from the pro cam's. is nikon putting the main focus in the wrong area?
chris89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 11:21 AM   #14

Let's try this again.

Take a Nikon D80, add a dust removal system, weather sealing and even, for non-VR lenses, an optional anti-shake feature. Now lets put this new Nikon model on the shelf right next to the Nikon D80, maybe call it the D80s (this ishypothetical, not a rumour)and give them both the same price. Which would you choose?

Dust can be a sensitive issue, as is evident here in this forum. I lost a d70 to excessive dust ... well, dirt really. The result of a poorly covered lens change at a rodeo :idea:. Again, my point, well, my question really was is it not possible that Nikon could be offering its consumer-level buyersmore (once again reflecting on that new Pentax).I am already invested in Nikon and I don't plan on switching over just yet (although the Fuji S5 may be something to keep an eye on if it's real).And I don't doubt the D80's picture quality -from the sample images I've seen it looks very nice. But between aD80 and my D80s, I would certainly go for the latter.But Nikon isn't quite there yet. Maybe in another two years.
twmangrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 11:38 AM   #15

Which would you choose? D80 or D80s? (twmangrove)

CERTAINLY, THE D80s. The diaphragm of the lens shuts andthe mirror goes up and downthousands and thousandstimes, but they don't come off. The OM system has been working out there for years and there isnot much news about the discrepancy of the ultra-sonic system. On the contrary, the system has beenused on Panasonic's camera.No hesitation about my choice, the D80s.
wk7leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 2:23 AM   #16

I dont understand why you would want to shake the dust off of a sensor and let it spread all over the inside of camera body where you cannot clean it easily at all?

I would think that collecting dust on a sensor that is easilly cleaned is alot easier and better than letting the dust get into the inter parts of the camera where you would have to disassemble the camera to properly clean it.

I have a d50 with a 18-50 mm and a 50-200 mm lens andI have changed the lens many many times sinceI have taken over 14,000 pics with it andI have never had to clean my sensor. I think the dust issue is way over rated and it would never stand in the way of me buying a camera thatI liked otherwise because one has an dust cleaning systen that may or not not be a good thing (shaking, dust into the other parts of the camera) .

I would much rather have the piece of mind thatI may collect a little dust on my sensor and have to clean it myself once ayear than have the fear of something shaking loose or thinking that the sensor is shaking the dust off and it is going all over the other parts of the camera where it could really do alot more damage.

I have to agree with the above comment that any time you shake something it is eventually going to loosen up something, andI would much rather know that there is notihng inside my camera that is constantly shaking loose

TexasHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 2:35 AM   #17

I dont understand why you would want to shake the dust off of a sensor and let it spread all over the inside of camera body where you cannot clean it easily at all?

I would think that collecting dust on a sensor that is easilly cleaned is alot easier and better than letting the dust get into the inter parts of the camera where you would have to disassemble the camera to properly clean it.

I have a d50 with a 18-50 mm and a 50-200 mm lens andI have changed the lens many many times sinceI have taken over 14,000 pics with it andI have never had to clean my sensor. I think the dust issue is way over rated and it would never stand in the way of me buying a camera thatI liked otherwise because one has an dust cleaning systen that may or not not be a good thing (shaking, dust into the other parts of the camera) .

I would much rather have the piece of mind thatI may collect a little dust on my sensor and have to clean it myself once ayear than have the fear of something shaking loose or thinking that the sensor is shaking the dust off and it is going all over the other parts of the camera where it could really do alot more damage.

I have to agree with the above comment that any time you shake something it is eventually going to loosen up something, andI would much rather know that there is notihng inside my camera that is constantly shaking loose

TexasHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 8:10 PM   #18

zygh wrote:
Quote:
I, for one, don't consider dust to be such a problem. But, speaking of the K10, by looking at the D80 and comparing it to the K10, you cannot escape the feeling that you're being given the short end of the stick. I mean, for a considerable sum more (considering 100$ is 11% of the K10 price tag) you don't get a lot of features that the K10 kindly offers. In fact, the only 3 (out-standing) things that the D80 has over the K10 are ISO3200 option, better flash functionality and (perhaps) better autofocus capability. I won't mention the havey guns K10 brings to the table as they are know by the lot of us. To be honest, I think Pentax takes the cake for this round (10MP sub-100$ dSLRs) and all I can say is that I'm drooling all over it.
From what I read the D80 pic. quality is superior in anything (iso) 400 or over, not to mention the banding problem, who knows?, maybe it was a defective.
KPK. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 4:44 PM   #19

hope this topic isnt dead yet, i recall, a long time ago reading about how using binaculars in the desert can make seeds get in btween the lenses and cause growth minor plants, does it sound truthfull.? and if it is, t hen it is just as possible that it happens in a camera,

my question is, if its possible to get dust spot on the pictures even if u never change the lens or even take it off.?
clue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 11:09 AM   #20

I don't think Nikon is "left in the dust" by Pentax but it is time that Nikon took a hard look at their product line. New users are seduced by technology, even if it is of limited practicality, they will choose the brand that they perceive as having more "gee-whiz" features. Right now Pentax is not a threat only because the same new comers recognize the Nikon name, and brand recognition is a bigger factor than technology... BUT... notice that Canon is quickly offering these new features on it's entry level model, and at a lower price!!! People will have the same level of brand recognition for Canonas for Nikon and they will see the technology advantage. Personally I prefer Nikon dSLRs because of their better handling ( Canon does not feel right in my hands).

OK, I admit it, I am a Pentax owner, but only because I already had Pentax K-mount lenses and the Pentax price was right.I own a *istDL and a *ist DS so my cameras are not from the new generation of Pentax models.I have discovered one more item of interest however, have you noted the Pentax range of new prime lenses lately? For those who prefer the simplicity and image quality of a prime lens over a zoom Pentax offers a range of very good wide angle to short telephoto lenses that are extremely compact. Pentax can in no way compete with Nikon on the long end nor in fast zooms, but if you are a street photographer or any one who enjoys medium wide coverage in a compact package Pentax has much to offer.

I generally recommend Nikon to those who ask, and two of my friends have just purchased Nikon (a D80 and a D200). My local photography acquaintances cover most of the major brands with four Canon users, two Nion users, two Olympus users and one other Pentax. The interesting point is that they all get great pictures and none of them have reported any problems.

I hope someone at Nikon is reading this because there are several devoted Nikon users here who are expressing dismay in the fact that Nikon seems to be letting technology pass them by. Yes the lenses are great, yes the image quality at high ISO is exemplary but the feature list is starting to look rather short.

Please, this is not meant to generate argument, I am merely echoing the concerns posted here.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote