Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 20, 2006, 3:20 AM   #1

I just got my D80 3 weeks ago,ok the camera is good....i enjoy taking pict with it,im a new user to dslr too.....upgraded from my FZ30.

My problem is....how can i increase the shutter speed when the flash is on....?..the shutter speed is still at 1/200s...i tried it all mode PSAM....but when the flash is on shutter speed set to 1/200s....its like automatically from the camera.....

My D80 attach with new 18-135mm lens....please help me.....is there something im missing from the setup menu?..or my camera is faulty.....owh i`m afraid..

naturalmood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2006, 6:09 AM   #2

A DSLR camera has a mechanical shutter that has a maximum speed at which it can sync with the flash. On the D80 that speed is 1/200 so the camera will not allow you to set a higher shutter speed with the flash turned on.

If you were able to set a faster speed you would get a shot where part of the frame was exposed and part was black.

There is nothing wrong with your camera or the setup.

Ken
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 7:20 AM   #3

There is really no need to set a faster shutter speed (although the d80's fastest sync speed is only 1/200 where the D50 and D70 is 1/500). The flash freezes the action, and faster shutter speeds are not really necessary to stop the action.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 9:06 AM   #4

Oh i see....ermm so i just can get 1/200s ?....bcos i like taking insect picture....(macro)..usualy with my FZ30....the shutter speed at 1/400s with flash on...so i can capture the freeze moment very well....like flying bees....

Dont know with my new D80(never try yet)...hope i can get freeze flying bees at 1/200s....i`ll try next time with macro lens soon......

What do you think guys?...increase ISO for more sensitivity on light..?
Old Sep 20, 2006, 9:07 AM   #5

i had good images with 1/1200th shutter speed and an external old flash, on a d50

try setting the mode to M, stil cant change a thing?
chris89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 10:50 AM   #6

No...still cannot....I use Sunpak PZ500 Zoom AF....yes it can operate with D80..but still the shutter speed stuck at 1/200s.....:sad:
Old Sep 20, 2006, 12:00 PM   #7

The D2X and D2h's support some AP super fast shutter speed thing for the Sb-600 and Sb-800's
Does anyone know if the D80 supports that aswell? (the D50 doesn't I know that).
Lexiticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 12:51 PM   #8

I think the D80 does support fast sync with some external flashes.

The D70 and I think the D50 have an electronic as well as a mechanical shutter. Even though the published sync speed for the D70 is 1/500 with a manual strobe it will sync at any speed, just like a compact. This is not the case with the D80 or the D200.

On my first flim SLR the sync speed was 1/30. In the right lighting freezing the subject was not a problem. The duration of the flash is very short so using small apertures and low ISO prevents the ambient light being recorded and you get a flash only shot frozen by the short duration of the flash.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote