Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 25, 2006, 9:08 PM   #11
Administrator

You will want to make it physicall smaller (dimensions in pixels), and make sure you've got jpeg quality set to where the file size is small enough (under about 240KB).

Most software will have a way to set jpeg quality when you use the "File>Save As" option.

What software are you using to resize it with?

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 9:29 PM   #12
Administrator

You may want to give Irfanview a try (it's free).

To use it for resizing, simply open an image using File>Open.

Then, use the menu choice you'll fine for Image>Resize/Resample.

Click the "Set New Size" box, make the width around 640 pixels wide, with the "Preserve Aspect Ratio" box checked (so that it keeps the same dimensions of width to height) and click OK.

Attached Images

Old Sep 25, 2006, 9:32 PM   #13
Administrator

Then, just use the File>Save As menu option, select a folder to save it to (it may default to a different one than you opened the image from), give it a new filename (for example, ChuckResized1), and set the JPEG Quality slider you see come up to around 80 (higher quality = larger file size, lower quality=smaller file size).

Around 80 should keep the file size within forum software limits for an image with those dimensions (around 640 pixels or so wide). If it still won't attach because it's too large (unlikely), set the quality slider to a lower value until the file size is around 200KB for the saved file (if it won't attach, it's still too large).

Most editors will work in a similar manner (you'll find a jpeg quality slider somewhere to help control the file size after you resize the dimensions).

Attached Images

Old Sep 25, 2006, 9:33 PM   #14

The easiest way is -

1. Use Irfanview (it's a free download) to reduce the dimensions of your picture to about 600 (height); then

2. Use Jpegoptimizer (it's a free download too - and very easy to use) ) to compress the picture's file to the number of bytes that Steve's site allows (i.e.less than about 250,000 bytes).

Just type Irfanview into your browser to find Irfanview, and Jpegoptimizer to find Jpegoptimizer.
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 1:27 AM   #15

FINALLY, HERE IS THE PICTURE!
TheCartoonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 8:47 AM   #16
Administrator

If it won't attach, it's too large.

Either it's pixel dimensions are too large (I'd make it around 640 pixels wide), or it's file size is too large (must be below around 240KB).

If you "right click" on an image using Windows Explorer (browsing the folder the resized image is in using "My Computer"), and look at "Properties", and it's file size is larger than around 250,000 bytes, it's too large. It needs to be smaller before the forum software will allow it to attach.

Chances are, most images 640 pixels or so wide (you've got to resize it first) will be small enough using around 80 on the JPEG Quality slider with a tool like irfanview. But, if it's still too large, use more compression (change the jpeg quality slide you see when using "Save As" to a lower quality, for example 75 versus 80).

Are you sure you're saving as JPEG? Make sure the file type says jpeg when you use Save As (change it to jpeg if it's not jpeg).

If you shot raw and converted the images, you may be working with a tiff versus jpeg. When saving it, give it a new filename (never overwrite your originals), and make sure you note the folder and filename when you save it (you may be attempting to attach the one that hasn't been resized).

What software are you using to resize?

Old Sep 26, 2006, 11:07 AM   #17

[img]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Kennith%20Kidd/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/chucks%20002.jpg[/img]
Old Sep 26, 2006, 12:40 PM   #18
Administrator

Check your Private Messages (look at the right hand top of the forums screens and you should see that you have a new message, then just click on it). I'll be happy to resize it for you if you want to e-mail me the original. It only takes me about 10 seconds to open, resize and save one. So, I don't mind doing it.

Sometimes, we take it for granted that everyone understands the terminology used here. But, it's a learning experience. So, everyone has to start somewhere. Don't worry about it. Being a PC and image editor expert is not a requirement to being a good photographer. ;-) We'll be happy to help you out.

Or, I can try to talk you through using whatever software you have for that purpose if you don't want to download the free Irfaview and use it. I'm familiar with a number of image editors for both Windows and Linux.

Another option is to use a photo sharing service that automatically creates multiple viewing sizes for you. I use http://www.pbase.com. When you upload an original, it makes viewing sizes that are easily posted (small, medium, large, original), and if you use a direct link (URL) to a photo that's on a web site, there are no size restrictions with our forums software.

Old Sep 26, 2006, 1:04 PM   #19

Can ya'll see the picture? I finally posted it.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 1:24 PM   #20
Administrator

No. We Can't.

I think I see what might be wrong if the file size is small enough.

It looks like you tried to use the button when attaching it, using a link to it on your local hard disk. That just embeds a URL (which we can't see if it's on your local hard drive).

Youcan't attach a picture that way,unless it is ona publically viewable web site like http://www.pbase.com

You need to attach a photo that's on your local PCusing the Browse Button you'll see under the text entry screen when you're typing or editing a post here (the same way you attached the first photo you posted here).

Illustrated Guide to Posting Images