Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 25, 2006, 1:17 AM   #1

Can anybody explain what the difference is among the 3 flash modes? I'm not sure which situation each mode is suited for.

I noticed that in low light or poor light situations, slow sync tends to give the image background natural lighting while if I used normal flash, the image background is darker. However, I don't exactly know why this is. Slow sync doesn't seem to be helpful on moving subjects in low light, as everything blurs.

Anybody have any other insights on this? Thanks.
Webapprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2006, 1:51 AM   #2

Normal will use a minimum shutter speed of 1/60 To freeze the motion by basically only using the flash to illuminate your scene (Of course if everything is bright enough the natural lighting will show up aswell, But at night generally your flash will only illuminate things at 1/60)

Slow sync will use the shutter speed that it would NORMALLY for the scene, but also fire the flash (probably at a weaker setting than Normal, but i'm not 100% sure on that) So that your flash only helps illuminate and you still use the ambient lighting to make up your pic (not for action shots, or for extremely low lighting situations)

Rear, fires the flash at the END of the shutter opening and closing, so that the natural lighting illuminates everything THEN your flash fires, so for moving subjects like cars, the streaks lead INTO the flash, rather than First the flash firing and then ambient lighitng getting picked up.

Someone else might beable to explain that better, But thats generally it.
Lexiticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 9:40 AM   #3

Hi,

when is the best time to use the slow sync and rear sync? i still very confuse abt this 2.

thanks

koshinki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 11:31 PM   #4

Lexiticus, that was very insightful. Thank you.

I noticed that normal sync flash just washed everything out when there is low light conditions. Normal flash just makes things in low light look white.

Your explanation helps me understand why slow sync flash allows for more of the natural lighting and colors to appear in the photo in low lighting conditions.

I don't think I will use rear sync flash all that much. I don't expect to take those types of photographs any time soon.

Lexiticus wrote:
Quote:
Normal will use a minimum shutter speed of 1/60 To freeze the motion by basically only using the flash to illuminate your scene (Of course if everything is bright enough the natural lighting will show up aswell, But at night generally your flash will only illuminate things at 1/60)

Slow sync will use the shutter speed that it would NORMALLY for the scene, but also fire the flash (probably at a weaker setting than Normal, but i'm not 100% sure on that) So that your flash only helps illuminate and you still use the ambient lighting to make up your pic (not for action shots, or for extremely low lighting situations)

Rear, fires the flash at the END of the shutter opening and closing, so that the natural lighting illuminates everything THEN your flash fires, so for moving subjects like cars, the streaks lead INTO the flash, rather than First the flash firing and then ambient lighitng getting picked up.

Someone else might beable to explain that better, But thats generally it.
Webapprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 9:40 PM   #5

Normal sync is for "normal" shooting!

Classic case for slow sync is a Christmas tree. You have the camera on a tripod and use a slow shutter speed, the flash illuminates the branches then the slow shutter speed allows the lights to burn in a bit. Otherwise the flash will wash out the lights.

Lexiticus is correct about rear curtain sync. Shoot a car at night with normal or slow sync and the running light trails appear to preceed the vehicle, which looks wierd!

Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote