Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 25, 2006, 10:10 AM   #1

I've been interested in photography for quite a while and after a recent trip to San Francisco, being a bit dissapointed with some of the shots we took with our Olympus C3040z digital I thought it was time to step it up and get our feet wet with a dslr, especially since I got the D50 with Nikon DX 18-55 and Nikkor 70-300 lenses for darn near what I paid for the C3040!! I also picked up a 2gb SD card (60x), have a tripod and good bag and a handful of books.

At any rate, it's on it's way, I'm very excited! Wanted to thank everyone here in the forums for the input they didn't know they were giving me while I lurked and learned. I'm sure I'll be doing more posting now that I'll have some actual how to questions.

Any preliminary input appreciated! (I always search before posting as well so I've got that one covered:lol: )
briant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2006, 10:47 AM   #2

briant,

Which books do you have? Is there any one book that you like the best?

I am trying to learn which settings to use on my D50. So far I use mostly "Auto". I have tried all the other modes but with not much success.

Would appreciate any tips you could offer.

Respectfully,

divertwo
divertwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 1:19 PM   #3

I would say to just try lots of shots with the different settings. The main thing to understand is what effect the aperture/shutter speed has. I like shooting in aperture priority best in most settings because I can choose how much of the background is in focus. The larger the aperture (the smaller the number) the shallower the depth of field will be. This is great for portraits as you can throw the background out of focus and bring the eye to the subject. When you shoot landscapes you generally want a small aperture (larger number) so more of the image is in focus. Then in things such as sports you can use shutter priority to control how much motion blur you get. This can be fast shutter speed to freeze the action or slower to show motion. Those are the main things to consider and you will learn the others as you go along. The joy of digital, especially when shooting inanimate objects, is that you can just shoot, shoot and shoot some more, till all your memory cards are full and your batteries are dead! You do not need to print every shot out, just see what effects the settings have. I went to a cemetery the other day and I shot about 200 frames in around an hour, just messing with the settings. I got a couple of shots that I will keep, but I am much more comfortable with the camera now. (Just picked up a D80 over the weekend) Then you can throw in ISO settings, White Balance and what not to the mix. No reason to be ashamed of using auto a lot though as it gives good results most of the time, without having to think to much. I use it especially when taking shots of my kids.

divertwo wrote:
Quote:
briant,

I am trying to learn which settings to use on my D50. So far I use mostly "Auto". I have tried all the other modes but with not much success.

Respectfully,

divertwo
miatapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 12:30 AM   #4

divertwo wrote:

When I got our current Olympus C3040 I though - this is gonna be great! I'm going to read up on this "picture taking" thing and get really into it. Turns out the camera couldn't do as much as I had hoped just playing around so I got frustrated and didn't do too much with the books. Now that I've got a "real" camera with a lot more ability I'm going to have to learn a lot more rather than just pointing and clicking.

The books I haven't looked at yet are:

Digital Photography for dummies
101 Essential Photography tips
Great Photography workshop

That last one looks to hold the most promise! Although I'm sure to get something out of all of them. One book I recall really wanting to find was How to photograph pets. We don't have kids but have a dog so I thought that would be a fun read but it was out of print when I was looking. That was 2-3 years ago now.
Quote:
briant,

Respectfully,

divertwo
briant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 8:35 AM   #5

Hey briant,

Thank you for the information.

Go here to find the book you wanted

http://search.half.ebay.com/How-to-p...ts_W0QQmZbooks

Thanks again for the book list.

divertwo
divertwo is offline   Reply With Quote