Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 3, 2006, 12:41 AM   #1

I love this 10.2 Megapix monster...it's very balanced.

D80 users report in...

The Yashica is retired,but not forgotten...
Attached Images

starriderrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2006, 8:01 AM   #2

Just got mine on Friday...Opted for the 18-70mm (only $269 from Cameta Camera!)instead of the 18-135mm kit lens. Also bought from Circuit City with a 10% off coupon so the body was only $900!

I love this camera!!! I am coming from a Sony F828 and the D80 blows it away! It's so fast and accurate. Shot to shot is leaps and bounds better. Focuses fast in low light too! The tones are so much more natural especially in flash pictures. I have only begun to discover what this amazing camera can do.

Silly thing but I really love the delete button!! Tap twice during picture review and that bad pic is deleted.

No regrets here, the F828 is already on Ebay!
2sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2006, 8:57 PM   #3

I got my D80 (18-135) a week ago from HENRY'S store in Canada and was origionally impressed by many features I have missed with myCOOLPIX 5700.

However I found out that the sharpness is not so great as with my old COOLPIX-5700 in the same conditions.

I am condacting more tests and will provide my results for your expertise.

One more thing, which dissapointing me is the gamma, wchich is way off from what I am getting from my COOLPIX-5700 and which look relatively correct on 5700.

Gamma is not a big deal as I am always touching images in Paint Shop Pro, but the sharpness is a big thing, which I expected to get from good lenses and CCD data post-processing.

Anybody can suggest how I can get crisp sharpness from D80(18-135)?

Thank you,

Andrei.
akouzmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2006, 11:24 PM   #4

akouzmit wrote:
Quote:
I got my D80 (18-135) a week ago from HENRY'S store in Canada and was origionally impressed by many features I have missed with myCOOLPIX 5700.

However I found out that the sharpness is not so great as with my old COOLPIX-5700 in the same conditions.

I am condacting more tests and will provide my results for your expertise.

One more thing, which dissapointing me is the gamma, wchich is way off from what I am getting from my COOLPIX-5700 and which look relatively correct on 5700.

Gamma is not a big deal as I am always touching images in Paint Shop Pro, but the sharpness is a big thing, which I expected to get from good lenses and CCD data post-processing.

Anybody can suggest how I can get crisp sharpness from D80(18-135)?

Thank you,

Andrei.
Hello Andrei,

The D80 has been tested on two websites already. They say the D80 for the most part is a great camera. Terrific performance for the money.Practically a D200 in a plastic body. But out of the box the images can look a little soft for some people.Which can be easily adjusted by bumping up the sharpness level to your liking. And that when they tested the D80 they used the 18-135 kit lens. Which makes the image look that much softer. Not a recommended lens to own.

Hope I don't PO the moderators but it was www.dcrecource.com and www.dpreview.comthat reviewed the D80. Thus far. In case you're interested.

So, if you adjust the sharpness and buy a better lens you should be happier. If you're on a budget start with a prime lens like the 50mm f/1.8. Looks and feels cheap but the sharpness is hard to beat no matter the price (well pretty much...performs better than lens costing over $1500.00 CAD no problem). I believe it's under $200 Cancukbucks. About $170.00 @ vistek.ca.

Good luck! Hope that helps...
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 12:02 AM   #5

I've been taking pictures since 4th or 5th grade, my first camera was a Kodak 110 long long ago. I've been shooting digital for several years, my first digital had a "high rez" picture about 0.3mp. Since then I've moved through a couple of super zooms, the latest being a Panasonic FZ30...until this week. Last week I upgraded to the D80 with probably the cheapest possible Tamron lenses from Cameta - I went back and forth between the D50 w/ better glass and the D80 and cheap (for now), obviously I ended up going with the D80. I felt for me the more advanced features would be appreciated and by the time I learn the mechanics of the camera I'll be able to buy some better glass.

So far I'm not terribly impressed with the sharpness of most of the images, I haven't turned up the in camera sharpness though, BUT using what I'm sure is rather poor glass I didn't expect razer sharp shots. I'm also finding that I am more reliant on the image stabilization in the FZ30 than I realized. With the 70-300 at 300mm I have a hard time with good shots until I keep the shutter speed really high, when I can do that it does very well. With a Nikon 50mm 1.8 I also have now I get much better results. The 18-200mm VR is very high on my "to buy" list, maybe for Christmas...

Beyond that I'm very impressed. The focus is very fast and locks on well, hunts far less than the FZ30 ever did. High ISO performance is also terrific, anyone who's seen the numerous shots posted in the last week or two on various forums by many shooters won't be surprised. Compared to the FZ30 the D80 is a miracle in low light, even with the poor glass it's all I was hoping for.

There is some noise at high ISO of course, but to me it seems more like grain than noise. Being a FZ30 owner I'm no stranger to noise, to me the D80 grain is far less...annoying/ugly/distracting/image wrecking (take your pick).

I also really like the way the colors are rendered, I did go with the "Vivid" setting, but it really does a much nicer job than the FZ30, even after bumping the saturation for those in PP.

John

JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 7:38 AM   #6

Tried 2 D80's both totally unsatisfactory. They both had a severe problem with focus on my Sigma EX 10 20mm, gamma problems and sharpness issues. Got a D200 instead blows the D80 away regardless of the claim that a D80 is a D200 in a different body
kimorris9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 3:07 PM   #7

It doesnt surprise me that the D200 blows it away, its suppose to.

I love my D80 and the lense it came with works great for me.
HeHateMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 7:58 PM   #8

kimorris9 wrote:
Quote:
Got a D200 instead blows the D80 away regardless of the claim that a D80 is a D200 in a different body
Why is there always at least 1 tard in the bunch that has to post some bogus information like this? :roll:
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 9:32 PM   #9

I made a decission to replace 18-135 by "Nikon AF-S DX VR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED".

$500 more, but I hope it worth it.

Andrei.
akouzmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 10:27 PM   #10

"Nikon AF-S DX VR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED".
Nice Choice !:-)
Attached Images

starriderrick is offline   Reply With Quote