Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 4, 2006, 11:30 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 774
Default

Curious to know what you D50/D70s/D80/D200 owners have expenerienced with your DSLRs being as they are all from Thailand. I'm assuming they are only assembled there. And that the parts are made elsewhere. Have your cameras been totally reliable? With the exception of the banding issue with the first batch of D200's. Has the fit/finish lived up to expectations?

I might later be considering the D80 or the D200. Which is why I'm asking.I am, admittedly, slightly biased towards gear made/assembled in Japan. Ifeither theD200 was made in Japan I'd already have one in my hands. Well not really...I am waitingto see what a certain campany will do with the replacement of a certain model in early 2007 at the PMA show.:-)

Thanks.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2006, 4:34 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
rjseeney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Taylor Mill, Kentucky
Posts: 2,398
Default

I haven't noticed any quality issues, or had the cameras fail in any way (a d70, d50 and now d80, in addition to several film cameras). Build quality is very good, not pro, but very good. I wouldn't give it another thought. Other companies have been producing quality electronics in thailand, china, etc for years.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 7:35 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10
Default

My D70 now over two years old is still ok after many thousands of pics. Just got a D200 build quality is excellent. The reality is that the demand for consumer electronics is now so high all manufacturers have set up assembly plants all over the far east. Computers have had components from Taiwan, Singapore,Phillipines etc for years.
kimorris9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 9:05 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 774
Default

kimorris9 wrote:
Quote:
My D70 now over two years old is still ok after many thousands of pics. Just got a D200 build quality is excellent. The reality is that the demand for consumer electronics is now so high all manufacturers have set up assembly plants all over the far east. Computers have had components from Taiwan, Singapore,Phillipines etc for years.
Hello Kimorris9,

That's a good point. About how most of the big name PC parts having been manufactured in places like Taiwan, China, Singapore....etc....all these years. And have been mostly trouble-free. Slipped my mind. Hehe! So really it shouldn't be a concern for me that Nikon is manufacturing the most of their cameras in Thailand. But, still, honestly, given the choice I think I'd be leaning more towards that camera "made in Japan".

I mean, if Canon is still manufacturing all their DSLR's/lenses in Japan...and if Nikon still believes they should manufacture their top two models (D2Hs and D2Xs) in Japan...their high-end "gold band/gold metal plate" lenses in Japan...there must be something to that.

In any event, I haven't written off the D80/D200, just because they are made in Thailand. That was never the deal breaker for me. They are both great cameras. As many will attest. I may still end up picking up one of the two.

However, if I had to have my DSLR ASAP...and it had to be a Nikon...as I've always prefered the color palette and detail in pics shot with Nikon DSLRs/lenses...I could run out and buy a new D2X. :-) They are made in Japan. Still readily available. Just to totally make myself feel good about my purchase. And I'd save $1000.00 CAD over the current flagship model the D2Xs. Also Nikon has just released an upgrade patch for the D200/D2H/D2X. The patch gives the D2X most of the new upgrade features found in the D2Xs. You can also use the same new higher capacity battery found in the D2Xs. Hmmmm....... :G

But all kidding aside, I think I'll wait and see what happens at PMA 2007. See what that other company will offer with that certain other model I'm interested in. Then decide...

Thanks for the posts people! Much appreciated...


DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 3:26 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Hawgwild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pensacola, Florida
Posts: 3,525
Default

My D-50 can't remember the right year. Ontwo separate occasions it got the year wrong. Once, 2098, and most recently, 2005. Month and day are fine, just the year is different. This wasn't due to a battery change, as it happened after powering off, and then back on again, later. Anybody else having weird problems?

Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 4:39 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 774
Default

Hawgwild wrote:
Quote:
My D-50 can't remember the right year. Ontwo separate occasions it got the year wrong. Once, 2098, and most recently, 2005. Month and day are fine, just the year is different. This wasn't due to a battery change, as it happened after powering off, and then back on again, later. Anybody else having weird problems?

Robert

Hello Robert,

How often does it do this? Does the D50 give you back the correct year eventually?

And thanks for posting. Though, I doubt this is due to the D50 being "assembled" in Thailand. Sounds like a fluke as I've never heard of this happening with any camera brand/model.

How old is it? Is it still under waranty? Does it bother you enough that you'd want to get it fixed or an exchange? And have you checked the Nikon website?

Good luck!


And this mini-blog is directed at any one reading this post...I don't know what it is but I find Nikon DSLRs deliver a much more pleasing color palette (some would say "consumer friendly") and picture detail. Compared to DSLRs made by Canon. It seems, when I'm looking through the picture galleries on www.pbase.com it's a lot harder to find pictures that are as sharp as those taken by Nikon users. Or pictures that even come close. And a lot of the time the colors look bland. Are Nikon users naturally better photographers? (wink) I had to really look hard to find examples where Canon DSLR picturesDID showdecent detail and colors that didn't look bland. (Shrugs)
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 7:19 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Hawgwild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pensacola, Florida
Posts: 3,525
Default

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
Hawgwild wrote:
Quote:
My D-50 can't remember the right year. Ontwo separate occasions it got the year wrong. Once, 2098, and most recently, 2005. Month and day are fine, just the year is different. This wasn't due to a battery change, as it happened after powering off, and then back on again, later. Anybody else having weird problems?

Robert

Hello Robert,

How often does it do this? Does the D50 give you back the correct year eventually?

And thanks for posting. Though, I doubt this is due to the D50 being "assembled" in Thailand. Sounds like a fluke as I've never heard of this happening with any camera brand/model.

How old is it? Is it still under waranty? Does it bother you enough that you'd want to get it fixed or an exchange? And have you checked the Nikon website?

Good luck!


And this mini-blog is directed at any one reading this post...I don't know what it is but I find Nikon DSLRs deliver a much more pleasing color palette (some would say "consumer friendly") and picture detail. Compared to DSLRs made by Canon. It seems, when I'm looking through the picture galleries on http://www.pbase.com it's a lot harder to find pictures that are as sharp as those taken by Nikon users. Or pictures that even come close. And a lot of the time the colors look bland. Are Nikon users naturally better photographers? (wink) I had to really look hard to find examples where Canon DSLR picturesDID showdecent detail and colors that didn't look bland. (Shrugs)

DarkDTSHD,

Thanks for the reply, it's only done this twice, and the first time was right after I bought it, the first pics I took...I have to reset it manually. (I just did it today, so we'll see if it holds this time...

I bought it in May, so the warranty is still good. I don't know if it's a bad enough problem to send it in, but if anything else starts happening, I probably will..

I haven't checked the Nikon website, but I will, thanks..

Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 10:48 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 774
Default

Hello Hawgwild,

May huh. That's good. Still within the 2 year Nikon warranty. Well at least there's a 2 year waranty up here in Canuckistan (Canada). I'm assuming it's the same down south.

I'd wait a few more months. Perhaps it's just a hiccup. If not I would definitely get it looked at. It would bother me as i like to know when I shot my pics.

Any how, thanks for being honest about your D50 and sharing it with us. Keep us posted!


Mini Blog Part 2:

I was just looking over a D200 test report done by http://www.dpreview.com. Discovered that they needed to bump up the sharpness setting in the D200 to "High" +2 to come close to the level of the Canon 20D/5D. And it was obvious in their test pics what a difference it made. So, it appears that Canon DSLRs are in fact sharper than Nikon's out of the box.

And, I suppose I was subconsciously focusing on pictures I prefered more when looking at Nikon D200 picture galleries. And wasn't really looking that hard to find good Canon photos taken by good Canon photographers. That the Nikon pics I liked happened to have been taken by talented Nikon photographers. And were more sucessful in getting the money shot.

So, I guess it comes down to a few things. At least for me. All things being "equal"...If you like the "consumer friendly" color scheme then go Nikon. If you want a more "neutral" look then go Canon. And if where it's made plays into it...go with Canon...

I mean there's obvioiusly tons more to consider but those two points definitely do matter to me. Any how, which DSLR brand/model I end up with is up in the air at the moment. So eager for the 2007 PMA show to roll around. To see what the manufacturers have up their sleeves. :-)
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 10:23 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Ronnie948's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 721
Default

D200 & 18/200 "VR" lens I own are both made in Thailand and I have no problems. I have a friend that has a 18/200 "VR" lens made in Japan but it is no better or no worse then mine. They are thie same except for the "Made in" tag. The D200 is an excellent hi-quality camera and I really don't care where or who made it. They sure did a nice job of workmanship.

Ronnie
Attached Images
 
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 10:38 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
rjseeney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Taylor Mill, Kentucky
Posts: 2,398
Default

Ronnie948 wrote:
Quote:
D200 & 18/200 "VR" lens I own are both made in Thailand and I have no problems. I have a friend that has a 18/200 "VR" lens made in Japan but it is no better or no worse then mine. They are thie same except for the "Made in" tag. The D200 is an excellent hi-quality camera and I really don't care where or who made it. They sure did a nice job of workmanship.

Ronnie
I completely agree. I can't say i bother to check where anything I buy is manufactured.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38 PM.