Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 6, 2006, 6:42 AM   #1

Has anyone heard of a successor of D50 by the name of D60 coming in November.

I was going to buy D50, but is it worth waiting. I can wait for 4 months.

Will D60 have better controls like DOF preview button, better white balance tuning and a 10 MP sensor etc.

Ken Rockwell has some predictions on "http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d60.htm"

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Regards.

Asim Ahmed
asim24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2006, 8:43 AM   #2

Don't believe everything Ken Rockwell says. Alot of his website is sensationalism, and someone who begs for money on nearly every page doesn't sit well with me.

About the D60 rumour...it's a possibility. This Christmas, the D50 will be about 20 months old and approaching Nikons typical life cycle for a DSLR body. I doubt you'll see 10mp and DOF from the next entry DSLR..the D80 has those features and any entry level body has got to be stripped down some to differentiate the two. If you need those features, the D60 (or whatever its going to be called) probably is not the right camera for you. I would expect 8mp, no DOF, fewer custom options, fewer AF points, etc. You may only see a MP upgrade from the d50 and some menu tweaking in its replacement. The D50 is great, but I really don't expect a significant upgrade in the lower end DSLR in the next product cyle.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2006, 9:41 AM   #3

With the D50 seeming to be in short supply at some of the more reputable vendors, I wonder if production has been suspended pending the introduction of a new model?

----------------- Bill
BillP2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2006, 11:16 AM   #4

THe D50 and D80 share many similiar parts. With the ramp up to release the D80 (which seems to be readily availble, more so than the D200 during its release), I'm not suprised the D50 is not easy to find.
Old Oct 7, 2006, 11:24 PM   #5
Log

asim24 wrote:
Quote:
Has anyone heard of a successor of D50 by the name of D60 coming in November.

I was going to buy D50, but is it worth waiting. I can wait for 4 months.

Will D60 have better controls like DOF preview button, better white balance tuning and a 10 MP sensor etc.

Ken Rockwell has some predictions on "http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d60.htm"

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Regards.

Asim Ahmed

DOF preview is pretty pointless on DSLR's as its pretty dark and you can just check DOF by taking a pic and then looking at it in the lcd
Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2006, 3:59 AM   #6

Bill is right in saying that D50 is short in supply. or we can say that Nikon's only entry level dSLR is short on supply. Which well and truly shows that Nikon's target market for entry level dSLR is in doubt and after Canon's release of their new entry level camera Rebel XTi, Nikon fans would be eagerly waiting for D60 to hit the stores with higher Megapixels.

Old Oct 8, 2006, 9:38 AM   #7

The successor is the D80 from everything I've read.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2006, 11:34 AM   #8

pagerboy wrote:
Quote:
The successor is the D80 from everything I've read.
This is not correct. The D80 is more or less viewed as the replacement for the D70s (although Nikon is saying it slots between the D70s and D200. The D80 is an enthusiast/prosumer camera. It has a lot of higher end features and control without the weather sealing/build quality of a pro level camera. THe D50 replacement will be missing alot of the higher end features (11 pt AF, DOF preview, etc) and will be priced a good bit cheaper than the current body only price of the D80.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 2:33 PM   #9

rjseeney is absolutely right D80 is not at all close to D50 but very much close to D80. As I already said Nikon must be thinking of bringing a new entry level dSLR soon to compete with Rebel XTi from the pricing point of view.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 3:19 AM   #10

I wish people would stop quoting KR as a source. All that guy ever does is plague the web with unconfirmed rumours so that people (newbs?) visit his website and he has more people to beg money from.
As soon as today, there is no credible source or any other source for that matter that is spreading rumours about the D50's succesor other than good ol' Kenny.
If there are people out there interested in camera market predictions and stuff like that, it is better to visit Thom Hogan's page. At least he does not make his predictions based on his fluffy fantasies (but rather based on something more substantial like brand release history) and he does not beg for donations on every page of his website.
Btw, Thom's informative website is www.bythom.com . I think that was he has to say about D50's succesor is way more relevant than any other unofficial source you can find out there.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote