Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 20, 2006, 7:01 AM   #1

Just purchased a second hand, Sigma 70-300 F/4-5.6 D APO Macro for my D70s happy with pictures so far, but require info or instructions on lens, was not with lens when purchased. Maybe someone can email me pdf or similar :idea:

regards

FIRE#&& :?

p_rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2006, 11:08 AM   #2

There wasn't much to the instruction leaflet and it was in multiple languages as well.

Camera off and set manual focus when changing lens then put back to auto focus.

To engage macro mode, zoom out to 300mm. You should be able to zoom between 200mm and 300mm while in macro mode but it doesn't make much difference.

In macro mode you're about 95cm from the subject! I found setting Continuous auto focus mode allowed me to rock back and forth while framing yet keep in focus.

Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 3:53 PM   #3

Thanks Bob,

What is the significance of this " Camera off and set manual focus when changing lens then put back to auto focus. Can you help with aperture ring base of lens.

Have you had success with macro settings

Old Oct 20, 2006, 5:28 PM   #4

The camera should be turned off whenever changing lenses.

This is a "screwdriver" lens. The autofocus motor in the camera body connects to the focus mechanism in the lens through a screwdriver like pin on the lower right side of the lens mount when seen from the front. The AF/manual switch on the left side of the lens mount engages and disengages the pin from the lens. You want this to be disengaged to avoid straining the mechanism by turning it from the focus ring. Nikkor AF-S and Sigma HSM lenses have a built in motor so this doesn't apply.

You may have to turn the focus ring to get out of macro mode. You will have to be in manual focus mode to do this.

The aperture ring should be set to f/22. It is highlighted in orange on my lens. To the right about a quarter way around there is a slide lock. This should be engaged by sliding towards the camera to prevent the ring from moving. The camera will lock and post an "FEE" error if the ring isn't locked at f/22.

I've had the best results setting the lens between f/11 and f/16. The subject will be far enough from the camera, 95cm or more, that I can use the built in or external flash for illumination. I usually use M mode, 1/250, f/16, spot metering and flash WB in these cases. These settings usually get me nice dark backgrounds that make the subject stand out. The flash means not worrying about camera shake!

Old Oct 20, 2006, 6:49 PM   #5

:|Bob Tried your suggestion thank you very much, how do you find the lens ,

I am starting to enjoy the visual range of lens like to take wildlife flora and furna shots for grandaughter, any way you have been very helpful thanks again

Old Oct 20, 2006, 8:45 PM   #6

At 300mm you are getting into long telephoto territory so you have to keep the shutter speed high even if it means bumping up the ISO. I was finally satisfied when I shot at 1/500 and kept the aperture closer to f/11. I also usually shoot from a monopod to stabilize the camera better.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 5:49 AM   #7

Good info Bob, I will try various combinations of settings, what monopod do you use are they worthwhile whats your suggestions

Old Oct 21, 2006, 9:15 AM   #8

I use a Manfrotto model 681, with the model 234 monopod head, and the model 323 quick release plate. The QR plate simplifies walking around without having the camera attached to the monopod. The head allows the camera to rotate between portrait and landscape easlily. The camera can also be rotated on the head to tilt back and forth.

The monopod allows more stability when shooting but isn't as clumsy as a full tripod. I've even wedged it up against walls and fences to simulate a tripod!