Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 20, 2006, 10:04 AM   #1

Hi Guys,

I'm currently a Minolta DSLR user, but now that I want to do photography professionally (weddings mainly), I'm going to make a change. I've been looking at the D200 (lots of money), but also looking at used D1x's that seem to be very economic and would leave more money for good lenses.

Anyone got any views on the D1X? Is it up to the job of wedding photography and what would I gain by spending more on the D200 other than extra MP's? To me the D1X looks pro and I wouldn't be worried that the client thinks they are just getting some amateur with amateur kit. I don't think the D200 is in anyway amateur, but at least in Scotland most people expect photographers to use medium format cameras. I'll never use film and £8k for a digital medium format is beyond my means.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Adambrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2006, 11:58 AM   #2

If you can remember, At one time the D1X was the top of the line Nikon Pro-Camera and was used by many wedding photographers. I personaly have a D200 with the 18/200 lens that I use for weddings and 99% of everything else I shoot.

Just leave enough money to get a stroboframe pro-T flash bracket, a Nikon SB-800 flash, and a Nikon TTL sync cord along with a couple of good Nikon Zoom lenses. I'm sure the D1X will be just fine. You may alsowant to have an extra battery no matter which camera you decide on. You sure don't want to run out of battery power 1/2 way thru shooting a wedding.

Ronnie
Attached Images

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 12:10 PM   #3

Thanks for that. I just wish there were some comparisons between the 2 cameras. Does the D1x have any major feature missing? Will the pic quality be as good all beit slightly lower resolution?

They do seem like bargains for what looks like a pro camera. Could one say that it will be superior to say a D70s or D80??
Old Oct 21, 2006, 4:40 AM   #4

If you do go for a D1X be wary of its condition. With second hand 'pro' cameras of that sort of age there's a good chance it has been used very heavily by a pro for several years, and as such may be getting close to the stage where parts start failing. I read an interview with a guy who spent 30 years as The Sun's page 3 photographer recently, and in there he said "When I wanted to upgrade I would always get a hgih price for my old kit, as it never left the studio and looked almost brand new, but the insides would be almost ground to dust from taking 300 pictures a day for five years!".
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 1:47 PM   #5

Thanks for the advice, but I'm still trying to get to the bottom of whether a D1X is superior to say a D70? It might be that it's not as good as a D200, which would be my first choice if I had lots of cash, but for the same price as a D70, is the D1X a better camera for wedding photography?

Old Oct 21, 2006, 1:47 PM   #6

Thanks for the advice, but I'm still trying to get to the bottom of whether a D1X is superior to say a D70? It might be that it's not as good as a D200, which would be my first choice if I had lots of cash, but for the same price as a D70, is the D1X a better camera for wedding photography?

Old Oct 21, 2006, 1:47 PM   #7

Old Oct 21, 2006, 6:34 PM   #8

If you can't afford the D200 you should go for the D70s as it is much lighter and will allow you to use the SB-800 wireless. It is a very good camera with a lot of features the D1X does not have. Pop up flash for one. Also, It will be brand new and have a warrenty. The D1X battery is very expensive compared to the D70s battery. I used to use My D100 for weddings with a 24/120"VR" lens. I now use a D200. I have tried my friends D2X and I did not like it as much as My D100 or D200. It was way to heavy to lug around with the Press-T bracket and my SB-800 flash allached. It did not take any better pictures then the D100/D200.

I like the D200 because of the wireless flash feature. It works perfect when doing a portrait or anytime I need a nice lighting set-up. It also has a very large buffer that I have yet to fill up to the point I could not shoot and did not get the photo.

If you are serious about wanting to do weddings for money You really should get the D200 and the bracket along with a TTL cord and SB-800 flash. Then get used to using it. Read the manuals, Know your camera and equipment. Extra Compact flash cards and extra battery will also be needed. I use the MB-D200 Nikon battery pack.

With the right equipment and the knowledge to do it right you will pay for everything in a few weddings. Then another few weddings will pay for photoshop CS2 and a good photo printer. You know you will need more then just a camera to be a Pro at wedding photography.

Ronnie.
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 11:02 AM   #9

Thanks for the advice. I already Have CS2 and a good printer, though I never do prints from the printer anymore as its faster and more economic to send them to a lab.

I'm curious about the use of wireless flash. I have a Minolta 5D with the 5600HS wireless flash. It works well, but for people photography the pop-up sends a code in a light burst to trigger the flash wirelessly. The problem with this is that you get lazy eye. Is the D200 different from this? I tried my friends D70 with his SB-800 and it produced lazy eye too. perhaps the D200 has something better like RF??