Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 27, 2006, 6:45 PM   #11

Uhh, I was trying to point out the difference in shutter speed for motion blur (not necessarily the quality of the shot, I just chose these because they were the first 1/500 and 1/200 shots I had with flash),
And No 1/320 is not enough to stop motion for MX (And still faster than the D80's 1/200), Also the problem with not using the flash is the rider becomes more or less a sillhouette At this time of day.
The problems with a slower sync speed are even more apparent when Youre apperature is climbing too high And your flash isn't strong enough to do anything compared to the daylight.

And finally, The track shots weren't a Race and the riders wan't me there, So if I get any complaints about the flash i'll deal with that then.
Lexiticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 3:54 AM   #12

A sillhouette would maybe look pretty good done against a pure sky background?

Is there anything stopping you taking shots when the light is better?

Motion blur can be excellent when delt with in the right way. Panning for example.

I really don't think that, in anyones book, a sync on-board of 1/200 rather than 1/500 is going to make any difference at all. If you need faster, there's always the SB-800.
StevenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 5:20 AM   #13

I guess to some the sync speed with the built in flash is critical, just not for me, I use my SB-600 if I know I will need a flash. As for the point of the post, the D80 does everything else extremely well. My only complaint is the size, I liked the D70s larger girth, but the other benefits far out weigh the negative. I think the D80 will be good for years to come.
ReneB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 2:25 PM   #14

I think D80 has got a fierce competitor in the form of Pentax K10D. The camera is same price as D80 but offers semi-pro features. It offers weather sealed body, Dust reduction system and anti-shake feature along with a 10 megapixel sensor. For more details visit http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pentaxk10d

Who would have thought about this type of a rival at such a price?

Asim.
asim24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 2:29 PM   #15

asim24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 2:33 PM   #16

Is it compatable with my vast array of nikon mount lenses?
Old Oct 29, 2006, 6:52 PM   #17

The k10d is a great camera and all the controls are physical...makes it a lot faster to change modes rather than going into the menus...

I wonder how the photos it takes come out to be...

Jackco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 3:56 AM   #18

I fail to see what the K10 has got to do with the D50 upgrading to D80...Unless it takes nikon mount lenses?

Firstly, in short - is the D80 twice as good as the D50? Depends what you see as being important. I'd say no, but I think this has everything to do with the D50 being a brilliant entry level camera which takes brilliant pictures and right now is the bargain of the century.

I must be one of the few, I took the D80 having owned the D50 for around a year. I LOVED my D50, make no mistake about it. The D80 Completely blows it away though. I have had the cam for about three weeks now and feel I can safely say this. It does overexpose a fair bit, but for me I think this is because all the images are brighter. The noise up to 800 is almost un-noticeable (with NR at normal) when printing at normal sizes (6/4, 7/5 and even 10/8) deffo better than the D50 and noticeably a great deal better than the D70 noise. The images are slightly soft coming out of the camera and not as sharp per pixel as the D70, but it only requires slight sharpening, or even re-sample to 6megapix to see the difference in quality of the 10mp sensor.

Watch out for back focus, there's a few of them being reviewed and sent back to shops because of back focus issues and my camera was off by about 6mm in the "backfocus chart test". I just took it to my local camera shop and they adjusted the AF in about twenty minutes. Now it's pin sharp.

It also must be said though, I paid for my camera (body only) with vouchers I'd accumulated from overtime @ work and I doubt I woulda bought it otherwise as an upgrade from the D50.

The full D80 kit with 18-135 at 799 is almost too good to overlook if looking for a DSLR.

1 Regret. I decided to sell my D50 to fund the purhcase of an SB-800...I wish I hadn't sold my D50, but hey something had to give to get me a flash.