Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 26, 2006, 10:03 PM   #1

Hello,
I'm considering buying the D200 Kit with the 18-200 lens.

I'm expecting a new addition to the family soon, and I would like to replace my current Sony F707 digital.

I'm not in a tight for a camera, I'm just tired of not having proper control with the point and shoot.

My question is, should I go ahead with the D200 or wait until next year and get the model that will replace the D200?

When would you expect the D200 replacement to be avaliable?

Thanks in advance
Greg Williams

gwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2006, 6:09 AM   #2

The D200 replacement won't be coming anytime soon, as the D200 is not yet one year old. I wouldn't expect a replacement for another year or so. That being said, the D80 was recently released and offers many of the control options and features of the D200. Speed and build quality are the biggest differences, and the D80 can do 85% or more of what the d200 can do. The D50, although being older and near the end of the line (there may be a replacement or update in the next few months) is a great bargain and a significant leap from P&S cameras. For the casual shooter, the D50 is all the camera that most would ever need. Unless you're making a living off your camera, I think the D200 is more than most people need, and the money saved is better spent on lenses.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 5:15 PM   #3

I also see where it has a huge learning curve...I also saw one on craigslist today, used with lens and a grip for $1800I am coming from where you are having a PS type digital and after the 200 was looked at closely, I think the advice you got above is pretty much right on.* Unless you wait and see what the Pentax K10 reviews say,* *like a a week or so. $1,000 and lookks like a winner with lensNikon D200 with 18-70mm kit lens and Nikon vertical grip - $1800I saw one on craigslist today, nearby, has the grip and a lens kit for $1800
tommccarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 8:31 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies
One thing I was thinking about was that if I went with a D80 or some other mid range body was that it would be difficult at best to get the 18-200 lens that I want.

Lets say the D80 $999 + 18-200 $999 =$2000
This seems too close for me to overlook getting the D200 18-200 kit for $2399
Seems like a lot more camera for $400 more.

If the 18-200 were obtainable for its real list of $749 ( I think ) the mid range camera bodies would be much more attractive.

From what I've seen the only way to not over pay for the lens is to get the D200 kit with the 18-200.

I'm not too worried about the learning curve on the D200 to much because I was pretty good with my 35mm Nikon 8008s that I used to have.

Do ya'll think the D200 would be harder to learn to use than the 8008s was? I know there is more to learn such as white balance. I'm willing to put forth the effort to become proficient with whatever camera I end up buying.

Thanks
Greg Williams

gwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 9:23 PM   #5

That's assuming you will be able to purchase the D200 18-200 kit. The 18-200 is still in very short supply, and every major vendor has long waiting lists. I doubt the kit you mention will be easy to find (I may be wrong, I haven't shopped for this).

As i said before, the D200 is a pro-level camera, and more camera than the casual shooter needs. Unless you're making a living with your camera, there are other quality lenses that can be paired with the D50 or D80 and provide just as much functionality and quality.

rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 6:45 AM   #6

First, I'm a D200 owner.

The 18-200 can often be found at your local camera store at a price equal to or less than what you will find on E-Bay. The demand has created a market for opportunists who charge more than list price.

You can check that out as you get your hands around both the D80 and the D200. See which one you prefer on your budget.

There will always be a better camera coming. Just as you can always spend more money!
:-)
reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 11:22 AM   #7

I also would pay the extra $400 and maybe for the same reason you have. Many are paying or saying they are, willing to pay $400 just for a Red Dot on the FZ50/VLUX 1 for example. But the difference* Nikon 200 vs 80 is *qualitative and easy to see and feel. What matters is you will enjoy the 200 for many reasons not having to do with a disabled sensor or down marketing decisions.* * *I just spent this replacing a rear window mirror that fell apart due to a lousy piece on plastic on the ball joint. No wait, that was $600Darn. *I am looking at the 200 and the Pentax 10k for a possible buy early in December. Have to see what the new camera reviewers offer in guidance.*
Old Oct 28, 2006, 9:39 PM   #8

Go ahead and get the D200 with the 18/200 lens. You won't be sorry!!!

Ronnie

PS: throw in the SB-800 speedlight and you won't want or need anything else for a while.
Attached Images

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2006, 8:38 AM   #9

Hi there all,
I bought my 200 this week after weeks and weeks of agonizing over the D80 .... I shoot a lot of Motorcycle races and deceided on the 200, the 18 - 200 VR lens and a nice 300mm prime 1.4D telephoto lens. I also have (access to) a Nikkor 80 - 400 ED AF VR ... so I guess I am set like Jello.

The first big test is tomorrow and I am looking forward to posting up some pix.

Cheers G
Aussie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2006, 11:29 AM   #10

Wow..... I am impressed. That is a sweet set up. Especially the Prime additionCongratulations. How come we all sweat this stuff out. Let us know what you find.. learning curve etc.... maybe a photo or 2?[img]/forums/images/emoticons/cool.gif[/img]