Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 2, 2006, 12:54 PM   #1

Howdy,

I'm considering buying a SB-600 for my D50. I was reading last night on a forum about a man who was going to buy a SB-600 also for his D50 too, but he didn't because the SB-600 can't go off of the hot shoe. It won't go on a flash bracket that is hooked up to the D50. Is this at alltrue? If that is the case, then will the SB-800 work instead? I read that you can get a cord for the SB-600 that hooks up from the Flash and straight into the camera. (Am I right on this?) I believe that the cord costs about 80 dollars.Please reply. Thanks.

- TheCartoonist
TheCartoonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2006, 11:45 AM   #2

Using the SB-600 or SB-800 off the camera hotshoe will require the SC-28 or SC-29 TTL cable. The SC-29 has an autofocus assist light but the SC-28 doesn't.

One end of the cable looks like a speedlight hotshoe and plugs into the camera hotshoe. The other end has a hotshoe on one side and a threaded socket to attach to a tripod. There is a curly cord in between.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 5:43 PM   #3

I took the plunge and bought the SB-600. It is AWESOME! Though, I don't know how to use it. (I know how to fire it though.)

- TheCartoonist
TheCartoonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 12:36 PM   #4

Since the D50 does not support wireless flash control, you would need...
1) SB800 and an SB600 (SB800 would be attached to the D50 and it supports wireless control to fire off the SB600 which is sitting somewhere off the hot-shote)
2) SB600 and one of the SC devices, Bob mentioned.

Webapprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 7:16 PM   #5

I have a D-50 and a SB-800 flash. Set the flash to SU mode and set it up on the little stand that comes with it anywhere you like or just hold it off to the side in your hand. (will also screw onto a tripod head). Raise the flash on the D-50 and shoot. The sb-800 sees the flash and fires. It generaly works pretty well. I do it all the time. Im not sure if the sb-600 does that or not but Ive never heard that it didnt. If you want to use more than one flash you would have to use the sb-800 as a controller to control the other flashes.

Hope this helps..
DocX is offline   Reply With Quote