Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 8, 2006, 10:34 AM   #11

though i haven't been shooting nikons since i sold off my film bodies (fe2, f photomic ftn, f2a), this one has my attention. it's small size for a dslr definitely has its appeal. many, including myself at times, leave the dslr at home in favor of a smaller digital camera, hoping there isn't too much of a sacrifice in image quality. a d40 or an olympus e400 may mean the dslr gets taken out more often.

--dave
http://www.fotop.net/dave
davephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 9:44 AM   #12

Any thoughts on the auto focus system for the D40?

Will the D40 be able to use all nikor lenses or only D40 lenses.
Angel L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 10:38 AM   #13
Administrator

The D40 will only Autofocus with with AF-S or AF-I lenses.

It would probably work with the Sigma Lenses with HSM, too (some of their higher quality EX series lenses have Hypersonic Motor Focusing systems that don't require the camera's focus motor when used with a Nikon body).

But, because of lens restrictions (no focus motor in the camera body like you'd have with other Nikon DSLR models), you're cutting out the ability to use the vast majority of third party lenses with the D40 (unless you want to use manual focus, and the viewfinders generally don't lend themselves well to MF on most DSLR bodies). You're also cutting out the abiity to use a number of genuine Nikkor lenses unless you want to use Manual Focus.

Since third party lens providers already make lenses with focus motors in the bodies for some of the other brands (like Canon), it's possible that they'll incorporate lens motors in their lenses for Nikkor mount, too. But, there is no way to predict how long this process will take (if they decide that it's worth the cost in order to sell lenses that work with this model).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2006, 1:27 AM   #14

chris89 wrote:
Quote:
omg, if this is going to be reality then Nikon is betraying itself
it's small, unlike any other nikon dslr
it has no top screen, something i think allot of people use
and it has no focus-motor, which makes the whole nikon philosophy of "using the best of the old in co-op with the new" a big fat lie
:idea:chris, this is an entry level nikon dslr, it's what no-one else has produced yet. There will have to be certain things "not included" to make it so. I think it's a great move, finally Nikon are removing their proverbial head from their a_ _ & addressing what the public wants. This from a D200 owner too by the way.:roll::-)
KPK. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2006, 6:41 PM   #15

The oddest thing about this camera is how it costs more than the D50 on all the websites I can find that are taking pre-orders.
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 11:06 AM   #16

This may appear odd indeed. But I think that in a matter of months the price will plunge to something like 500$ for the kit version. Heck, I'd be amazed if in a year or so they'll be selling the kit version for more than 450$ a piece. Ofcourse, these are all US prices. Who knows what the'll charge us in the EU.
Does anyone know if they discontinued the D50?
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 1:10 PM   #17

no zygh nikon has not discontinued the D50 model and I am a bit surprised here that when D50 was launched by nikon they presented to the world "an entry level dSLR". Now after launching D40 they are saying the same for it. If D50 was an entry level then they should have made improvements in this class like they did for D70 by introducing D70s. Many people were expecting a D60 to replace D50.

A surprised move by Nikon. Lets see how it fancy against D50.

----- Asim
asim24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2006, 2:46 PM   #18

The funny thing is that people seem to be attracted to this D40 for its looks and size and seem to be willing to pay outrageous prices for it.
Say I wanted to get a DSLR now... I wouldn't pay more than 500$ with kit lens for this camera.
Speaking about the power of the brand.
Maybe just now I begin to better understand just why the Rebel line from Canon had such a great success.
My prediction: Nikon has scored big time with the D40 and because of this, give it time, the D40 line will launch Nikon on a hunt for the top.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 7:32 AM   #19

asim24 wrote:
Quote:
no zygh nikon has not discontinued the D50 model and I am a bit surprised here that when D50 was launched by nikon they presented to the world "an entry level dSLR". Now after launching D40 they are saying the same for it. If D50 was an entry level then they should have made improvements in this class like they did for D70 by introducing D70s. Many people were expecting a D60 to replace D50.

A surprised move by Nikon. Lets see how it fancy against D50.

----- Asim
actually I was told by a local Nikon rep that the D40 is indeed a replacement for the D50. i think i also read the same being reported elsewhere on the web.

--dave
http://www.fotop.net/dave

davephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2006, 12:39 PM   #20

:sad:
I bought my new D40 on friday and as I have explored it I have found that there IS NO AUTOMATIC EXPOSURE BRACKETING like all the other Nikon DSLR's have. Anyone who is considering this as a replacement for any Nikon you have may want to be aware of this GOTCHA.
aandpman is offline   Reply With Quote