Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 11, 2006, 5:05 AM   #21

aandpman wrote:
Quote:
:sad:
I bought my new D40 on friday and as I have explored it I have found that there IS NO AUTOMATIC EXPOSURE BRACKETING like all the other Nikon DSLR's have. Anyone who is considering this as a replacement for any Nikon you have may want to be aware of this GOTCHA.
aandpman, apart from the exposure bracketing problem, how is your overall judgment of the D40 and how it is performing in routine life? can you show some pics you get from your D40?
asim24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 8:43 PM   #22

asim24 wrote:
Quote:
aandpman wrote:
Quote:
:sad:
I bought my new D40 on friday and as I have explored it I have found that there IS NO AUTOMATIC EXPOSURE BRACKETING like all the other Nikon DSLR's have.* Anyone who is considering this as a replacement for any Nikon you have may want to be aware of this GOTCHA.
aandpman, apart from the exposure bracketing problem, how is your overall judgment of the D40 and how it is performing in routine life? can you show some pics you get from your D40?
I think the D40 will be for users that want a DSLR but will only buy maybe one additional lens. This is not a Pro camera but it will suit alot of people very well and I think Nikon will sell a ton. Better to buy a less expensive body and buy a better lens. For sure the body will be absolete in a short period of time just like a new computer. Times have changed.
prairiewinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 7:04 PM   #23

I own a D-40 and can tell you....IT's a Blast to take pics again........the D-50 is not nearly the camera the D-40 is......This camera sets new standards for an "under a grand" DSLR....Buy one ...You'll fall in LOVE !!!!! FORGET THE REBEL XTi.......The Canon reign is OVER.......
themayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 9:18 PM   #24

Mayor,

Please clarify your statement "the D-50 is not nearly the camera the D-40 is..." Some of your posts make me wonder why you refer to Ken Rockwell's site so much...

Ken Rockwell seems to have some okay reviews but here is what he said in the 1st 2 sentences of his D50 review: "I love the Nikon D50. It's the camera I recommend for anyone who wants the best camera possible..."

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d50.htm

I don't own the D40 but I'm curious about your comparison of the 2 as I only own the D50.

As a result, I'm now wondering about Ken Rockwell's reviews as this is what he says about the D80 "I prefer my D200 if I'm doing photography all day, but if I'm spending more time carrying the camera than shooting with it, I grab my D80..."

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d80.htm

He says this about the D40 compared to the D80 and D200: "
The D40 is so much fun and so light I rarely grab my D80 or D200 either..."
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40/d40-recommendations.htm

Lastly, he says this about the D200 "My new D200 is the best digital camera I've ever owned."
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d200.htm

Now I am really confused. Ken doesn't own a D50 - but does a review on it and writes a "how to" book on it and says he'd recomend it as the "best camera"- recomended. He reviews the D80 but says he prefers to carry it and he claims that the D200 is the best digital camera he ever owned. Would he have said that if he owned a D50? Would he only want to carry a D40 camera around or would he shoot with a D50 and carry the D80? And which one is more fun, the D200, the D80, the D70 the D50 or the D40...

I am hopelessly perplexed... and obviously missing a lot of fun by not carrying around more cameras:homey:

Thanks
joeybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 9:43 PM   #25

themayor obviously does not know what he is talking about. To say that the D50 is not nearly the camera the D40 is, is simply the emotional testimony of a new camera owner who more than likely has never shot to any great extent, if at all, with a D50. I think we should give him a pass this time.

Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 10:00 PM   #26

Hello Hawgwild,

Nothing personal but I ain't buying the mayor statements.

Of the 6 posts he's made - 5 of them point to and/or refer to Ken Rockwell's site and that is part of the reason for my last post...

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...26&posts=1

joeybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 10:49 PM   #27

joeybob,

Hello, Ken has a pretty interesting site, but it seems that every camera or flash or lens he rates is the best. Obviously, they can't ALL be the best...:lol:

Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 3:02 AM   #28

themayor is clearly overly enthused by his new camera and he clearly just doesn't know any better than to swallow as a whole everything kenny says. i don't own the d40 but have owned the d50. allthough the d50 isn't the best of 'em , i cannot see how the d40 is better. it simply is not the photographer's tool that the d50 is. why? only af-s and af-i lenses. BIG drawback.
it is very easy to see how a beginner might mistake the d40 for the 'greatest camera ever' but, really now, let's face it: the d40 is nothing more than nikon's new gimmick to draw in the people looking for their first dslr.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 4:13 AM   #29

K. Rockwell, that funny "Viking", how loves Colours so very much in his pictures but hates colour Silver on cameras...

Personally I don't care even if my camera is Pink if it takes Good pictures and let Me commant it.

Merry Christmas from Land Of Santa = Finland!
Aero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 7:45 PM   #30

DP's d40 review is up. Sounds like a nice little camera.
I like Steves reviews much better and will try to wait for his before buying one. But I think I want one. To bad it does not work w/ a lot of the sigmas.
Yuma_R is offline   Reply With Quote