Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 12, 2006, 4:20 AM   #1

I'll try be brief.. it's 3:30am!

I recently found out about Cameta Cameras and their reconditioned DSLRs on ebay and it seem to have a good feedback according to some forum members (here and somewhere else). I also found out that it's in Long Island where I live so I paid a visit last Thursday to save me shipping cost (I had to pay tax though).

The Nikon D50 I got is in a Nikon box with the words reconditioned product all over. The camera body is flawless, no scratches or signs of use anywhere. All the accessories are included. The lens (18-55mm kit) is in a plain brown box with a sticker that says Nikon Refurbished Product on the side. The lens body too is in excellent condition.

I bought a brand new Tamron 70-300mm lens as well. Cameta staff was friendly and accomodating; and he did not force me to buy anything else. I asked for a polarizer for the kit lens and purchased one. He suggested a UV filter and also explained the pros and cons but he never force me to buy nor make me feel pressured.

Since I had another place to go to after that, I didn't test the camera in the store. I got home late in the afternoon and during my first use, I discovered that the flash doesn't work. After a quick call, I went back to the store. Now this was a bit of frustration because I live about 25 miles away and had to go back that same day. I don't blame them for this because I could've tested it on site since I am buying a reconditioned product (which, btw, is covered with a warranty.)

The same staff tested it, which didn't also work so he replaced the camera. Unfortunately I had to get it myself from their warehouse which was a few miles away. It was about 6:00 and it was already dark. The main front door of their warehouse was closed. To make the long story short, I had to find staff from the back (took me 8mins at least) before I was accomodated. I tested the camera from my car before going home.

The second camera is also in excellent shape. I tested it the next day and so far, everything is working fine. It has about 800 actuations on it.

I have been testing the camera for two days and I have to say that I had a good deal even with my frustrating moments. I took about 250 shots so far and very happy with it.

Would I buy reconditioned camera again? Most probably. Only if I'm really in a tight budget (like now) and would only do so with a reputable dealer. I highly recommend buying at Cameta Camera.

I love the D50 since I'm just beginning with DSLRs. I'm glad I didn't spend too much on my first camera. I will eventually move on to a more capable model but right now, the D50 fits my needs and more.

The sleeping pill is kicking in now!

View my test photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/psilver/ and http://psilver.multiply.com/photos/album/20 . The photos came out of the camera with too vivid colors as expected. They look nice but if you prefer, it can be toned down by tweaking the settings. I like it the way it is right now and after discovering RAW, I'm so tempted to use it but I need to learn so I'll try to stick with jpeg as much as possible until I get used to it.

This photo of my fiancee looks like a phone commercial in my opinion so I added the Nokia logo. :?

I used a circular polarizer. It would've been better with clouds.

Thanks for reading.

psilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2006, 12:03 AM   #2

P...

Keep in mind that you can get an extended Mack OEM warranty through Cameta for a pretty good price. I purchased my Demo D50 from them and added in a 5-year Mack warranty through them for $39.00. You can get one from...http://www.compuplus.com/ps-products...3c53j52je.html

For $25 if the camera is valued at <$500. If its a Demo unit, it can qualify as a new unit for a Mack warranty. I believe that Cameta's 1-year warranty is actually a Mack warranty....
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 1:21 AM   #3

Why didn't they mention this? I'll call them tomorrow. I'm looking for a refurbished flash as well.

Thanks for the heads up!

Added: Oh so this is not really from Cameta? I wonder how to acquire this service if and when the camera breaks down. I didn't see much info.
psilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 10:38 AM   #4

http://www.mackcam.com/warranty_whatscovered.html
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote