Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 13, 2006, 6:54 AM   #11

Code:
If you don't value my opinion, or consider me to be knowledgeable, then don't ask for it. My knowledge and opinions are based on actual experience, which apparently don't mean a whole lot to you. I'm not sure what else I can do to help you finally make a decision. Good luck.
rjseeney, please don't get offended! :shock:I didn't considered you to be UN-knowledgeable at all! I was just curious to know that's all; and you are DEFINITELY entitled to your own opinion. I am sorry if I have made it seems like youwere the one in the wrong; I apologize respectfully.

P.S., I certainly valued your real live experience; that's why I wanted to ask all this questions in the first place (To get real live feedbacks instead of depending on reviews etc...). :-)

Anyway, you all don't need to worry anymore; I have already decided on what I should be doing already. (I want to thanks everyone in this forum,who have helped me out in the past before)

Regards.

---
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 9:02 AM   #12

So tell us what you've decided.

------------------ Bill
BillP2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 9:23 AM   #13

OK, I actually find it rather hard to tell it all in here, simply because this is a Nikon forum...Anyway since you want to know it, here goes...

I have various interestingoptions with my budget >>>

The Pentax K10D kit. (For U.S. $1000)

The Samsung Digimax GX-10 kit (Subjective appeal) [For U.S. $1000 as well]

The Nikon D80 with the Nikkor 50 mm F/1.8 prime. (For U.S. $1100)

The Nikon D70swith the Nikkor 18 - 70 mm zoom. (For U.S. $900)

The Nikon D70s with the 35mm f/2D AF Nikkor prime. (For aroundU.S. $900)

The Nikon D70s with the 50mm f/1.4D AF Nikkor prime. (For around U.S. $900)

The Nikon D50 with the 10.5mm f/2.8G ED AF DX Fisheye Nikkor prime. (For around U.S. $1100)

I will end up with one of thosecombinations.

Regards.

---
Old Nov 15, 2006, 11:03 AM   #14

The D50 straight out is more of a P&S camera and its default setting is I believe adobe IIIa for what its worth and no other Nikon camera has this feature.

It is only my belief that the D50 has a bit more aggressive PP in-camera that the other Nikon Dxx.

I have the D200 and noise can be had over iso 400 if you shoot at the wrong exposure. This forces me not to be lazy and take time to set my settings properly and think about my shot more. I tend to get much more and better keepers that way rather than just go snap happy.

I would go with the D70s since it has more features that will become useful when you get the know the camera better.

It would be hard to wish you got the D70s instead when you find that the features it has can help you in being more creative.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 11:22 AM   #15

vIZnquest, thanks a lot.

Actually the Nikon D200 doesn't seems tohave a bad high ISO performance for a 10 M.P. dSLR. The Sony Alpha dSLR-A100 and the Nikon D80 bothseems to have slightly worse high ISO performance than the Nikon D200. (Based from what I have seen)

BTW, the Nikon D50seems to have vanished from all the shopsin my area, but the Nikon D70swas still plentiful...so Ishall be looking to that.

Regards.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 8:03 PM   #16

I'm not sure what reviews youve read or sample pictures youve seen but from what I have and numerous others on this board. The d200 has quite bad noise, in fact quite a few threads have complained just about that

Also the Sony alpha has quite possibly the worst noise of any DSLR i've ever seen, And the D80 is quite possibly the best at ISO 1600.

thats only one factor of the camera's though.

Also you really need to just go out and buy one, I thought I nitpicked but you do it much worse than me. I consider the lenses available to be much more important than the body, since the body will be upgraded much before your lenses.
Lexiticus is offline   Reply With Quote