Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 12, 2006, 6:15 AM   #1

I would like to know whether the Nikon D70s have good high ISO performance in your opinion. (ISO800- ISO 1600)

I only know that it produces the best high ISO images in reviews and in laboratory testing grounds! (Even up to the ISO 1600 level) Yes, it also performs better than the Nikon D50.

When I ask about high ISO performance, I am only interested to know how good are the details at high ISO levels; not how noise free the images are.

I alwayshear in forums that the high ISO performance of the Nikon D70s is very poor; how true it that?(I always hear peoplesaying that)

I also always hear people saying that the A.F. of the Nikon D70s is slow; I would also like to know how true is that.

Finally, is the Nikon D70s suitable for action shots?
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2006, 8:06 AM   #2

Where do you hear these things. Seems like there will never be a camera that will perform at what you are willing to spend.

Seriously, will you ever get a camera? By the time you decide there will be something else on the market and this cycle will continue and be never ending at this rate.

For the critical needs you mention it seems you are missing alot of opportunities in getting those shots.

I do not have the D70s but I am sure you can see some examples of what you are asking at pbase.com.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 10:00 AM   #3

Quote:

Where do you hear these things.
I heard it from forums, especially from the dpreview forums.

I do not know how true is my evaluation of the Nikon D70s high ISO performance, so I better ask it here. People keep on saying that the high ISO performance of the Nikon D80 and Nikon D50 are better, and that certainly contradicts my research results. (So the best thing for meis to ask it out loud)

I might be wrong...Or people might be wrong...What do you think?

Old Nov 12, 2006, 10:08 AM   #4

BTW, please don't mistaken that I can never get satisfied with any ofthe dSLR cameras that I am willing to spend on.

I am in fact very satisfied with the Nikon D70s (I have a high respect for it), but it is just that people are misleading me around. People keep saying that the high ISO performance of the Nikon D70s is not good, and that the Nikon D80 and theNikon D50 are better at that...Yet I find that (based on my research), the Nikon D70s have one of the best high ISO performance around...:? (You know why I asked it here now)

I also thought that the focus speed of the Nikon D70s is supposed to be fast...

Another thing that is putting me off from buying the Nikon D70s is the people's reaction toward it. I keep hearing people say "Avoid the Nikon D70s, go for either the Nikon D50 or the Nikon D80." Why is it so?

Old Nov 12, 2006, 10:12 AM   #5

Could you try it out at a store nearby? I'm trying to make up my mind about those cameras and a few more but its only the lack of money that is making me wait.

I tried a few cameras at the store to experiment, brought my own card and just took sample pictures to be scrutinized at home.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 10:19 AM   #6

Quote:

Could you try it out at a store nearby?
I already testedthe Nikon D70sand it was a great camera indeed (Very solid, and robust). I also don't know why people keepon complaining aboutthe TTL viewfinder of the Nikon D70s; I personally found it great to look through and take the shot.

Old Nov 12, 2006, 10:26 AM   #7

Quote:

I tried a few cameras at the store to experiment, brought my own card and just took sample pictures to be scrutinized at home.

I do not know what people think, but I also inspected images in reviews closely, and noticed that theimages captured by the Nikon D70s with it's kit lensare one of the best around. (I am not bias) The Nikon D70s images looks the most crisp, natural, and clear lookingto me. (Even better than the Nikon D80's with it's kit lens)

I just speak fromwhat my eyes told me.

Regards.

P.S. It always seems that whatever I like, peopleoften don't like.

Whatever I think is good, people oftendon't think so.

Old Nov 12, 2006, 1:49 PM   #8

I owned both the D50 and D70 (I've since sold the D70 and bought a D80).Aside from the extra control, I've found the D50 to be the better camera, especially when you factor in the price. IQ and higher iso performance, the D50 wins (although not by alot). The d50 is in no way limiting unless you absolutely need to be able to control a SB600 or SB800 off camera with the built in flash. As I 've told you before, your skills as a photogrpaher matter alot more than whether you choose the D50 or D70s. Save a few bucks, go with the d50, use the extra money to get a Sb800 flash and start taking some pictures.

rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 3:43 AM   #9

rjseeney, why do you think that the high ISO performance of the Nikon D50 is better; than the Nikon D70s? (Just curious)

A lot of people has also been claiming that, not only you.

He he, it really just seems that I am the only one liking the Nikon D70s around! :lol:

How come can the Nikon D70s even be bad...I thought that it is a darn good dSLR camera.

Honestly, the reasons putting me off the Nikon D50 is the claimed made by dpreview below>>>

Phased in my own words; (But essentially mean the same thing)

"The images that the Nikon D50 producedtend to look less crisp (per-pixel-sharp) than the Nikon D70s, this could probably be due to a weaker build in image processor and (or) the stronger A.A. filter installed"

>>>

"The high ISO images of the Nikon D50 is much like the Nikon D70s, but the D50'snoise characteristichave a more chroma mottle like appearance; whereabout thenoise characteristicof the Nikon D70s at high ISOs are more film like grain (Mono-chromic): It affects all colorchannels equally."

I saw everything with my own eyes, so it is all true!

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________

I also inspected Nikon D50/D70sISO 1600 images from imaging-resource's reviews, and I found that the high ISO images of the Nikon D50 have visible N.R. artifacts; the high ISO images of the Nikon D70s are very well defined, crisp, and natural. (No sign of such things as N.R. artifacts to be seen at all)

So now you see why I can't let go of the great Nikon D70s! :idea:

I know itwould beeasy to say "Just go for it then!"

However, I just do notknow why some people can tell me the completeopposite; basedfrom what I know...

I need some explanations. (Maybe people prefercleaner images with less details, than noisier images with more details?) But the details and definition of the Nikon D70s ISO 1600 images are just exceptional...

& I have inspected more than TEN dSLR cameras at ISO 1600! :shock: (Same settings/same lighting conditions etc...)

Perhaps people failed to realized this Nikon D70s' deep and dark secret...

Old Nov 13, 2006, 4:58 AM   #10

First, I never said the D70s is a bad camera. At its current price, and considering its feature set, it is a very good deal. If you need the extra control (ie studio environment), the D70 is the way to go. That being said, I just prefer images from the D50. The differences are small, but to me noticeable. I've also found Images from the D50 need less post processing, and the color rendition is closer to what I see in a scene. Mind you, I don't shoot color test charts or print 100% crops, so the information you've studied may be correct. I've told you my opinion of these image tests and your fanatic need to view everything down to the smallest detail. For me its about how the image prints. A big part of controlling noise is getting the exposure right. Underexposures increase noise. Another thing to consider, is that any image taken at 1600 will need some noise reduction applied to look its best, which is going to destroy some details anyway. Once again, the differences between the two cameras image wise are quite small, and certainly not enough to drive yourself crazy worrying about. IF you think the D70 is that much better, then get it.
This isn't the first time you've asked my (and others) opinion, and then told me I was wrong based on "reviews" and what you know. If you don't value my opinion, or consider me to be knowledgeable, then don't ask for it. My knowledge and opinions are based on actual experience, which apparently don't mean a whole lot to you. I'm not sure what else I can do to help you finally make a decision. Good luck.

rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote