Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 15, 2006, 8:47 PM   #1

Just received my Bigma 50-500 EX USM lens won in a recent eBay auction. Seller had purchased earlier this year from B&H and they had rated it as a '9'. I have to agree as its in pretty much pristine condition. I've had my D50 since this summer as a Cameta Demo auctionw/169 prior actuations.

Of course, I had to try it out and soon found error F EE:?. Figured out I didn't have the aperture set on the lens. Once this issue was identiified and resolved, had to take a few images to see the 10X zoom range (all uncropped; minor PP in Picasa2 and resized to 600 x 800 for posting)...
50mm - 150mm EQ

[align=center]Image control: Zoom out | Zoom 100% | Zoom in | Expand / Contract | New window[/align]

100mm - 150mmEQ

[align=center]Image control: Zoom out | Zoom 100% | Zoom in | Expand / Contract | New window[/align]

195mm - 292mm EQ

320mm - 480mm EQ

420mm - 630mm EQ

500mm 750mm EQ

Handheld 500mm/750mm EQ f/8 1/500

Handheld 500/750mm EQ 1/640 f/8

Handheld; 420mm/630mm EQ 1/500 f/8

The USM is pretty quiet and quick on AF. Did fairly good on tracking and keeping AF lock. Wasn't as hard/heavy as I originally anticipated for tracking even with my shortened Manfrotto Monopod attached to foot for stability. My Pany FZ5/FZ30 digis' OIS has really gotten me spoiled, though.

Based on the quick trial, I'm thinking I'm going to really like this lens... especially living in the Mojave Desert where we usually can count on pretty bright sun/lighting conditions...

I'm sure I'll need to use a monopod/tripod for even better IQ without any VR/OIS at the long end but, thus far, I'm a happy camper...:G
--
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2006, 7:27 AM   #2

Hi Telecorder,

Sure looks like you have a pretty good lens there. The photos look great and sharp. I'm sure you will use that lens a lot where you live. The sun is in your favor out there so a slow lens will not be as much of a problem.

Ronnie
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote