Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 17, 2006, 7:34 AM   #11

zygh wrote:
Quote:
rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
Also the D40 will be limited since what what I understand only the newer AF-S lenses will be compatible, as Nikon removed the focusing motor from the camera body in order to cut costs. That means no compatibility with older film lenses, including the highly regarded (and inexpensive!!) 50mm f 1.8 and 1.4 (and all other prime) lenses, as well as most third party lenses.
Oh it will be compatible with every Nikon lens ever made, it's just that the AF will work only with AF-S lenses.
Still, this is a potential deal breaker, although again, the probable target audience will only buy the kit lenses anyway.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 7:49 AM   #12

Rumors said that Nikon might be releasing AF-S versions of those prime lenses.
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 8:29 AM   #13

Don't put your money in the mouth of rumors, BenXYZ.

Rjseeny, I get you but some people might think that the only lenses that'll fit on a D40 would be the AF-S ones, which is far from it. It's just that ifone wants AF and some un-AF-S lenses then a D50, D70etc.wouldprolly be a better fit.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 8:41 AM   #14

I didn't believe them, but I just heard about it that's all.

We can expect Nikon to expand their line of AF-S lenses too. (I just hope for AF-S primes)

Rumors also said that Nikon might be changing their entire system to AF-S only bodies, and the Nikon D40 will be the first of such kind.
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 9:14 AM   #15

zygh wrote:
Quote:
Don't put your money in the mouth of rumors, BenXYZ.

Rjseeny, I get you but some people might think that the only lenses that'll fit on a D40 would be the AF-S ones, which is far from it. It's just that ifone wants AF and some un-AF-S lenses then a D50, D70etc.wouldprolly be a better fit.
Assuming the the D50 and D70 will still be available. I'm curious to see what the lineup will be. I don't dislike the idea.....This camera is alot like some of the last last consumer level film SLR's, like the n55 and n65. Short on advanced features and control (these cameras couldn't use VR lenses) but had broad appeal to those who wanted all the benefits of a SLR in an easy to use package.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 5:45 PM   #16

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
I wasted 2 hours typing out a reply and it all got lost...Well, I guess there is always a conspiracy in my computerto preventme from explaining myself out.
Well Ben, I think we all grateful to your computer for deleting your (very lengthy?) reply.

I have been following some of your posts over the last few days with increasing amazement and I have finally had to register for the first time on a web forum, but only to pose the question: where are you coming from?

You appear to be holding yourself out as an experienced photographer with all your technical comments on a myriad of cameras, but then you comment on "the superb high ISO performance of the Nikon D40" (posting 17/11/06). But the D40 was only announced yesterday (16/11/06). How do you KNOW about its ISO performance?

In another post, you commend the high ISO performance of the D70/D70s! Excuse me, where did you learn that? Not from actual users of those cameras?

Your profile says that you are a student. Of photography? If not, I'm surprised you have so much time to do all your "research" and make all these postings - no UK university student would have the time.

If you are studying photography, then turn off your computer, go now and buy a camera (even a point and shoot with manual controls should suffice) and take lots of photographs. Then, if your images meet your tutors' criteria, log on again to Steve's Forums and share the images with us.

BTW - we English often pose rhetorical questions. So please, do not answer the questions above. Just go and buy a camera!

alec w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 9:04 PM   #17

tough night for benXYZ.....
Bigben91682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 8:58 AM   #18

Hi Alec,

Man...I hear ya brother!

I am sure ole Ben is a nice enough chap...but good grief! hahaha! Enough already about high ISO noise comparisons!

I was thinking the same thing about the amount of time he spends just reading the same ole rehash of reviews andhis neverending commentary on them....that mean nothing without any kind of practical real life experience to back it up.

Ben...listen my friend....this all may sound a bit harsh...but we have just grown a wee bit weary of reading the same thing from you...over and over and over. We get your point.....we know you want to make an informed purchase...we know you don't want to waste your hard earned money on a camera that won't meet your needs...etc. etc.

I think we can all agree that when "we" all purchased our cameras we were hoping to make the best selection possible based upon our needs and wants andour research. But really....I think you have to agree....enough is enough.

You are very knowlegable and I commend you for your efforts....but there comes a time when you have to make a decision. Thats what I'm curious about.....armed with all this information about every DSLR on the market....yet you can't make a decision.

I think what we would love to see from you is to just "get in the game"! Buy a camera....take pictures! Then show us pictures!

So...I issue you a challenge. Do NOT post again until you have purchased a camera and can post some pictures! What do ya say? Are you up to it?
randypamjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 9:56 AM   #19

Not trying to be sarcastic here, fellas, but maybe Ben will finally decide that a good mobilefone with a spanking 2 or even 3.2 MP camera will more than make up for his present needs and spare us his (very?) insightful comments about things he has not yet held in his hands or had a play with.

Sure, he's not a bad chap, heck! he might even be good harted and wise enough to give a thought to all yr advice.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote