Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 16, 2006, 7:14 AM   #1

OK, here is the take;

Nikon today just announced the brand new Nikon D40 digital SLR camera, and I think it is going to be a killer in some ways;

I could see that the new NikonD40 dSLR camera will be equipped with a new 6.2mega-pixel CCD;thenew 6.2 mega-pixel CCDdoesn't have the same dimension(s) as the previous Nikon D50/D70s' CCD version. (It has a physical dimension of 23.7 x 15.6 mm, whereabout the old 6.3 mega-pixel CCD version is at 23.7 x 15.5 mm) So it clearly indicates a new, and probably improved Nikon D.X. CCD.

The next big thing is;

The new Nikon D40 looks to be equipped with the new (more powerful) Nikon imaging processor. (It looks to be the same oneas the Nikon D80') Remember how that new Nikonimage processor could turn the noisy ten mega-pixel Sony CCD, on the D80; into something quite different: From the Nikon D200 &Sony Alpha A100? Remember? Well, I imagine that with the considerable larger photo-detectorsof the new six mega-pixel CCD; thingsare going to be really sweet for the new Nikon D40's high ISO performance. :idea: (The high ISO particular crowd can really rejoice this time!) Noisy images and smeary images will (Shall!)be things of the past!!

The next interesting thing is;

The Nikon D40 dSLR will also be having thecustomizable ISO feature and ISO 3200!!! I am especially excited about the ISO 3200 because I know it is going to be good! Plenty of newer cameras can boost about having the ISO 3200 feature, butonly true ISO 3200 (In my book) can be boosted by image sensors having factually largerphoto-sites!!

If you have already read STEVE's report on the new Nikon D40>>>

http://www.steves-digicams.com/diginews.html#d40

You would also like to read dpreview's Nikon D40 hands on preview, with a production model!! >>>

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0611/06...sonpreview.asp

:|

The new Nikon D40 rocks!

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2006, 8:22 AM   #2

It's nice that Nikon is entering a lower priced market, and should do well for people moving from P&S to DSLR. Hopefully they didn't make a mistake by making it only 6MP. I understand the 6mp is plenty, but many will be moving up from 7 or 8MP P&S cameras and may be looking for more. Also the D40 will be limited since what what I understand only the newer AF-S lenses will be compatible, as Nikon removed the focusing motor from the camera body in order to cut costs. That means no compatibility with older film lenses, including the highly regarded (and inexpensive!!) 50mm f 1.8 and 1.4 (and all other prime) lenses, as well as most third party lenses. Current Nikon DSLR users probably won't be interested, although they are not who this camera is targeted for. Be prepared for lots of Nikonians b****ing about how this camera is crippled and a step in the wrong direction. What will be intersting is how the Nikon lineup will look. some believe this is a D50 replacement, leaving a lineup of D40-D80-D200 in the consumer classes. It really would be sad to see the D50 replaced by a lesser featured camera, but this would give a clear distinction between the amateur and enthusiast camera. Also, let's wait for actual reviews before we start trumpeting its virtues.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 9:14 AM   #3

Reportedly, the high ISO performance of the new Nikon D40 is remarkable!! The ISO 1600 & ISO 3200 images of the Nikon D40 was stated to be better than anything that havecame before it! (As predicted!!)

I will continue to provide more informations as I get them.

Regards.

---

[Currently, read the previews!]

EDIT: Sample ISO 1600 & ISO 3200 shots provided!!! >>>

http://pixinfo.com/cikkek/nikon_d40.5

IMO the ISO 1600 of the new Nikon D40 easily beats the Nikon D50 & Nikon D70s' ISO 1600 shots!! P.S., the ISO 3200 shot of the D40looks unusually good! :shock:

I will try to find more informations...
Old Nov 16, 2006, 11:09 AM   #4

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
Reportedly, the high ISO performance of the new Nikon D40 is remarkable!! The ISO 1600 & ISO 3200 images of the Nikon D40 was stated to be better than anything that havecame before it! (As predicted!!)

I will continue to provide more informations as I get them.

Regards.

---

[Currently, read the previews!]

EDIT: Sample ISO 1600 & ISO 3200 shots provided!!! >>>

IMO the ISO 1600 of the new Nikon D40 easily beats the Nikon D50 & Nikon D70s' ISO 1600 shots!! P.S., the ISO 3200 shot of the D40looks unusually good! :shock:

I will try to find more informations...
Ben,

Have you bought a camera yet?

Quote:
randypamjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 11:34 AM   #5

Quote:

Ben,

No, why? :?:?
Old Nov 16, 2006, 5:03 PM   #6

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ben,

No, why? :??
Ben,

I was just curious if you were actually wanting to buy one to take pictures...thats all.

With the announcement of the new Nikon D-40 can we assume you are back to the beginning of your never ending research and analysis?

You know what...I apologize...I do. When I first started reading your posts several months ago...they were very helpful to me...and I'm sure to other people as well, but all these months later....and you keep asking the same questions, and raising the same concerns......over and over. How many different ways can you ask about high ISO noise etc?

It almost seems to me that you want to impress people with your book knowledge, rather than with the pictures you seem to never want to take.

I guess...bottom line is...I am bewildered at your inability to make a decision.

I sincerely will be interested and looking forward to seeing some pictures that youhave actually taken.....although....I have long since lost interest in what camera you are going to buy...orresearching at the moment.

Really....make a decision.....and go take pictures!
randypamjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 5:51 PM   #7
Administrator

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:

IMO the ISO 1600 of the new Nikon D40 easily beats the Nikon D50 & Nikon D70s' ISO 1600 shots!! P.S., the ISO 3200 shot of the D40looks unusually good!
Considering that I don't see a comparison with the other cameras, that's a very interesting observation.

Quote:
:shock:

I will try to find more informations..

Just for you:

http://www.fotopolis.pl/index.php?n=5092&p=4

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 5:25 AM   #8

[quote]
Old Nov 17, 2006, 5:36 AM   #9

I wasted 2 hours typing out a reply and it all got lost..*****ew it...The post above this onehad a broken format, so I couldn't use it to type this message in.

I can never retrieve back that lost message, so it is just too bad considering that I have actually took the time to explain myself out to you all...Well, I guess there is always a conspiracy in my computerto preventme from explaining myself out.

P.S., I really feel like smashing my computer now. :X:XThis laptop has been giving me a lot of problems. Sometimes when I am typing out a long post, it can erase everything suddenly. My desktop was never like that. REALLY!!!! :X:X:X
Old Nov 17, 2006, 7:25 AM   #10

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
Also the D40 will be limited since what what I understand only the newer AF-S lenses will be compatible, as Nikon removed the focusing motor from the camera body in order to cut costs.* That means no compatibility with older film lenses, including the highly regarded (and inexpensive!!) 50mm f 1.8 and 1.4 (and all other prime) lenses, as well as most third party lenses.*
Oh it will be compatible with every Nikon lens ever made, it's just that the AF will work only with AF-S lenses.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote