Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 16, 2006, 6:18 PM   #1

Ok this might be a little complicated, But I have a D50 which my parents like, and I've been itching for ISO 3200, and a few other features the D80 has. BUT I need a fast shutter sync for sports photography. So the 1/200 on the d80 is way to slow.

I also own an SB-600 and I know it can be used in FP mode with the D80, BUT I've heard there are numerous disadvantages of using FP with a flash (One being the flash doesn't get its entire burst of light off within the camera's shutter speed so you lose flash power on the shot.

So 2 questions

1) is has anyone actually done tests for this? showing the loss of light for shutter speeds above 1/200, Or some sample pictures or something? Google didn't turn up anything.
(Also if there are any other negatives I would like to know)

2) Since the d80 onboard flash can be a commander, I'm assuming when firing wireless That you are once again limited to 1/200?
SO assuming that is true if you slap a SB-800 on there, can you use that in FP and also the sb-600 wirelessly in FP aswell?

Thanks
Lexiticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2006, 10:43 PM   #2

I don't have an answer to your specific questions, but I had a chance last week to ask one of the photographers at our local paper about her experiences with the D200s that the paper has recently put into the field as a cost saving move.

Her only complaint was that the slow flash sync speed (which I think is 1/200th also) was a real problem at football games. I suppose the same complaint will carry over into basketball season.

---------------- Bill
BillP2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 12:21 AM   #3

I found a thread over at nikonians.org, And they were talking about how the mechanics of it mean less coverage with the flash, BUT, no sample pictures or real discussions of how it works at 1/500 or above...

So bump for answers....
Old Nov 18, 2006, 6:21 AM   #4

I haven't really had a chance to try the flash in FP mode for action/sports shots. I've shot in gyms, but flash is not welcome, and at football games, where the coverage isn't long enough anyway. It does work well for fill situations. I have no knowledge of a chart or actual results that describe the extent of the power loss. The reason for the slower sync speeds in the D200 and D80 is because Nikon did away with the electronic shutter that was used in the D50 and D70 which was prone to blooming.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 1:30 PM   #5

off topic question.

Whats this blooming you speak of?
Old Nov 18, 2006, 3:58 PM   #6

Here is a defintion of blooming:

"A pixel on a digital camera sensor collects photons which are converted into an electrical charge by its photodiode. As explained in the dynamic range topic, once the "bucket" is full, the charge caused by additional photons will overflow and have no effect on the pixel value, resulting in a clipped or overexposed pixel value. Blooming occurs when this charge flows over to surrounding pixels, brightening or overexposing them in the process. As a result detail is lost. Blooming can also increase the visibility of purple fringing."

rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 5:01 PM   #7

Oh, k thanks