Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 17, 2006, 1:33 PM   #1

:-)I am ordering the D200 package with the 18 to 200mm lens. This will be my everyday, all situation lens including my kids sports. I am really into macro photography and was going to order the Nikon AF 105mm Micro-Nikkor lens. While it is pricey, I want a great lens for macro (bugs and the like). Does this make sense? If so, what filters are best for these lenses? Thank you
nsclcctl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2006, 5:32 PM   #2

nsclcctl wrote:
Quote:
:-)I am ordering the D200 package with the 18 to 200mm lens. This will be my everyday, all situation lens including my kids sports. I am really into macro photography and was going to order the Nikon AF 105mm Micro-Nikkor lens. While it is pricey, I want a great lens for macro (bugs and the like). Does this make sense? If so, what filters are best for these lenses? Thank you
For filters, I would only worry about a polarizer and ND. UV/haze filters are useless and have little to noimpact on your image. Typically they are used for protection and help line the pockets of the vendors who sell them.

In terms of the macro lens, are you referring to the older 105 or the newer VR 105 micro. The former is much cheaper (although still pricey)---it can be had for between $400 and $500 used and is an excellent lens, and built like a tank. Also, back to the filter issue, with this lens, the front element is recessed into the barrell of the lens, making a protective filter unnecessary.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2006, 1:59 AM   #3

I would agree with the above post. I'd go for the polariser & not worry about the other filters unless you come accross situations all the time where you need them. The 105 VRII is one of the lenses that I intend to get for my D200 in the future as well. Look forward to your comments.
KPK. is offline   Reply With Quote