Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 18, 2006, 1:02 AM   #1

Yep! Walked into that used camera store and had my choice of two D70s or a D100. Being the individual I am, I picked the cheapest of the bunch, a D70 that included nothing but the battery and charger. It was at a price I couldn't pass up.

Obviously, I will need a USB cable, memory card, and lens. And also as obvious, I probably couldn't have picked a worse time of the year, since we're so close to Christmas (and my wife is making out her list).

So now that I have it, what do I do with it...?:?
jbigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2006, 1:26 AM   #2

[align=left]Nothing?
[/align]
Aero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 7:26 AM   #3

You should be able to find used lenses pretty easily. Keh is a great online vendor with fair prices and conservative grading. You should also be able to find something at the store you bought the camera from. The 18-55 is ggod value, the 18-70 is a better lens but at a higher price. You could then probably find a nikon 80-200 f 4.5mm for around $100 to cover the tele end. Memory cards are cheap and easy to find. Pick up at least a 1 gig card and a card reader at almost any retailer that sells electronics and you're ready to go.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2006, 2:47 AM   #4

Thanks for the advice. I tried KEH but there wasn't anything there that would be helpful to me right now. I will call the store I bought the body from on Monday to see what they have in the way of lenses. I got a CF 1G card on eBay last night for $18! But I doubt that it will be here by Thanksgiving.

I looked at the manual during my off hours at work today and was mondo-impressed with what this camera can do. Fun times are ahead!

Where could I get a genine Nikon lens for $100?!?!
Old Nov 19, 2006, 2:48 AM   #5

Aero wrote:
Quote:
[align=left]Nothing?
[/align]
That's correct...nothing but the body, battery, and battery charger. I tend to like it this way because I can build up the system the way I want. But I don't like it because I can't get the same prices on the lens like they come with the kits.
Old Nov 19, 2006, 8:21 AM   #6

What kind of shooting will you be doing?? I just checked KEH and they have a wide range of lenses (as usual), many of which are in your price range.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 3:34 AM   #7

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
What kind of shooting will you be doing??
Probably mostly in dark bars, looking for 'targets of opportunity'. That means almost no light to focus, although I do use flash. I might be doing the same at the upcoming Arnold Classic in March (there's more light there) and perhaps a wedding or two.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 8:51 PM   #8

Try a 50mm/f1.8. It's about $100, maybe fast enough for your "dark bar" shooting, VERY sharp, and it's pretty inexpensive (around $100, usually).

It's not a zoom, but you really can't go wrong with it.

Rick
Rick Popham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2006, 9:20 PM   #9

Rick Popham wrote:
Quote:
Try a 50mm/f1.8. It's about $100, maybe fast enough for your "dark bar" shooting, VERY sharp, and it's pretty inexpensive (around $100, usually).

It's not a zoom, but you really can't go wrong with it.

Rick
Although the 50 is a great lens, it is a bit long for indoor use. Since the OP said he'll be using flash, any of the current zooms (even the kit lenses) will work fine.
Old Nov 25, 2006, 3:07 AM   #10

I ended up getting a 28-105 Nikkor. The only thing lacking now is a USB cable and/or card reader, and both are on the way!:-)

I took a couple of sunset pictures as soon as I got the lens. They look real good on that LCD screen...I can't wait to see them on my computer!