Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 21, 2006, 9:04 PM   #1

While reading a Q&A on the D50 at another site, someone asked the question what to beware of when buying a used D50. An answer I expected was shutter actuations, but that never came up. The answer given was to have the on-board flash synchro checked, because its failure to sync properly would render it useless.

My question is- Have I been under a rock, or is this a non-issue. Frankly, I have not heard of this problem:?

TIA

Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2006, 2:11 AM   #2

My friend had on and off issues with the built in flash, sometimes it wouldn't fire and sometimes the picture wasn't fully flash exposed.
But he bought the sb-600 and has never had a problem with that so it seems to be a flash specific problem even if there is one.

BTW he had the problems at all shutter speeds, not just 1/500 where you would imagine there would be a problem.
Lexiticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 3:56 AM   #3

Maybe there could be a problem with rear curtain sync with a flash with a very long duration?

Keith.
keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 4:14 AM   #4

I think its a non issue. Typically, the people who talk the most and loudest are the ones who have had problems. The D50 by all accounts has been one of the most reliable dslr's in terms of defects.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2006, 7:21 PM   #5

Thanks to all who rreplied. I went out of town on an overnight trip yesterday(wed) and just got home this evening.

I thought too,as rjseeney said, that it was a non-issue large scale. I know particular cameras can have defects built in that may cause problems, but it seemed odd that someone would choose THAT as a point to watch when considering the purchase of a used D50 as opposed to shutter actuations, or some other thing I'm not knowlegeable enough to know about. Anyway, thanks again for the replies...

Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote