Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 21, 2006, 10:16 PM   #1

I have a new baby due any day now, should I shoot the photos in Raw or in Jpeg fine?
I have a 2 Gig CF card and will have my laptop at the hospital to off load the photos and post them online for viewing by the family.

From what I can tell I can get 70 shots in Raw+Jpeg fine.

My camera is a D200 with the 18-200 DX lens.

I just don't want to mess up with white balance and ruin the shots.

What is the recommendation from someone with more experience on this?

As you have probably guessed I'm in over my head with the D200, however I'm making progress getting familiar with the camera.

Thanks in advance
Greg Williams
gwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2006, 8:31 AM   #2

Hi Greg,

First, CONGRATULATIONS on the new little Williams.
You can shoot both at the same time and that way you will have your raw file as a back-up if the jpg does not want to print properly. The D200 is a great camera and will perform perfect in program mode. I don't think you are over your head with that camera. I have one and I really like everything about it. Just read your manual and it will tell you everything you will need to know.

You can useA low resolution jpg to send the photos right away and still have the raw fileto process and make great prints.

Ronnie

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 10:39 AM   #3

Shooting in raw+Jpeg basic is sound advice. The RAW will give you more latitude to process the prints in the future. Make sure you back up these important files in at least 2 places...you wouldn't want a system failure (or human error) losing these memories.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 6:36 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I appreciate getting the opinions of from what I can tell are two of the most knowlegable members on the forum.

You guys seem to always offer sound advice.

I will do as you suggest and shoot the photos in Raw + Jpeg.

One other quick question, do ya'll think I will do ok with the flash built into the D200 or should I rush out and get a SB 600 or SB 800? If I should get an external flash which out of the previous two should I get ?

I'm thinking that a more powerfull flash might allow me to shoot at higher shutter speeds to help avoid any camera shake. Is this a good idea?

Thanks
Greg Williams

Old Nov 22, 2006, 9:28 PM   #5

Hi Greg,

I have the 800 & a 600 Nikon Flash. If you can afford it get the SB-800. It is a little more powerful and comes with a diffuser. It is a perfect match for the D200 and lens you have. I use mine a lot off camera wireless using the built in flash as the master. It is really nice the way it functions. I'm not saying the SB-600 is not good, It is less powerful and does not have as many usable features as the SB-800. It can also be used off camera as long as you use Chanel 3 if only using the one 600. My choice is the 800 first if you can spend a little more.

Ronnie

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 9:37 PM   #6

Thanks again.
I think I will get the SB 800 if I do decide to get a external flash.

I know the SB 800 has a lot better range and it is further away from the lens so red eye would be reduced.

Do you think the SB 800 would be of significant for the baby pictures? will it be a lot better than the built in flash?

Thanks
Greg
Old Nov 23, 2006, 8:10 AM   #7

Either choice is good. I own and use both. The SB800 is slightly more powerful and recycles a bit quicker. It is a bit larger, especially when you use the 5th battery. I don't find the differences to be all that significant. The SB600 does 85% of what the SB800 does at nearly 1/2 the price. I do prefer the SB800, but for the average shooter (especially if your on a budget) the SB600 is a good choice, and the extra money can be spent on other accessories.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote