Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 25, 2006, 12:02 PM   #1

I own a D70 and I have noticed that when I am trying to shoot in continuous mode, the frame rate is sometimes slower than at other times. It seems that if I use the same memory card as a baseline, the frame rate drops dramatically if I use a telephoto lens. I have reduced the image size and quality but this seems to make little difference. Any advice on how to max out the FPS? It advertizes that it can sustain 3fps for a small number of frames, but I never seem to hit even that number...
raiderrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2006, 12:56 PM   #2
Administrator

Are you sure you actually have your drive (shooting) mode set to continuous?

Use this button to set drive mode:

If so, what are your shutter speeds?

If you're testing it in low light (i.e., indoors) with a dim telephoto lens, the shutter speeds needed for proper exposure come into the equation (i.e., if you need to keep the shutter open for 1/4 second per shot for proper exposure, that's going to really slow down your cycle times).

Here's what Steve got with a D70:

Quote:
In single-shot mode, I was able to capture images at 1/2 second intervals without flash, and at between 1 and 3 second intervals with flash, depending on subject distance. In continuous shooting mode, the D70 lived-up to Nikon's promise of 3 frames per second, capturing 11 images in 3.3 seconds; subsequent shots were taken at 7/10 second intervals. The D70's buffer performance is very good, taking only 10 seconds to flush a full buffer of JPEG Fine images to the CF memory card. These measurements were made using an AF-S Nikkor 18-70 mm lens and a fast Transcend 1GB CF memory card, shooting Large (3008x2000) JPEG Fine images.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...n_d70_pg8.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 1:25 PM   #3

Here's what Steve got with a D70:

Quote:
In single-shot mode, I was able to capture images at 1/2 second intervals without flash, and at between 1 and 3 second intervals with flash, depending on subject distance. In continuous shooting mode, the D70 lived-up to Nikon's promise of 3 frames per second, capturing 11 images in 3.3 seconds; subsequent shots were taken at 7/10 second intervals. The D70's buffer performance is very good, taking only 10 seconds to flush a full buffer of JPEG Fine images to the CF memory card. These measurements were made using an AF-S Nikkor 18-70 mm lens and a fast Transcend 1GB CF memory card, shooting Large (3008x2000) JPEG Fine images.

Yeah, this seems to be the issue. Getting images at 1/2 second intervals equals 2fps. Is that about the best I can hope for? This feature (continuous mode and a high frame rate) is an important one for me. Maybe the next pro camera body from Nikon will be higher like Canon 8fps???
Old Nov 25, 2006, 1:46 PM   #4
Administrator

That was in single shot mode.

Read the next sentence. In continuous mode, the D70 can do 3 frames per second. Check your drive mode (see my previous post about it).

If you really need a faster frame rate, the D200 can do 5 frames per second. The D2H and D2Hs can do 8 frames per second. The D2x and D2xs can do 8 frames per second in cropped mode.

Old Nov 26, 2006, 6:09 AM   #5

Yeah, I should have kept reading, sorry! Thanks for the info. Can the D70 take advantage of the speed of the newest flash memory cards, or is it overkill to get the fastest card available?

I am planning on making the big plunge to the top of the line model, but I think I'll wait for the next generation after what is already available. Any ideas what the next generation top-of -the line Nikon will offer? In terms of MPs, sensor size, frame rate, etc?

Old Nov 26, 2006, 8:36 AM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Can the D70 take advantage of the speed of the newest flash memory cards, or is it overkill to get the fastest card available?
The interface speed to media is usually a bottleneck, long before you get anywhere near a memory card's rated speed with most cameras.

So, you tend to get diminishing returns with a faster card after a certain point. IOW, you may buy a card that is twice as fast in a card reader, and only see a small increase in performance in a camera.

You can find some CF speed tests for a D70s here (which is basically an upgraded D70). It appears to "top out" at around 5MB/Second, even using a card capable of around 20MB/Second:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-7906

Quote:
Any ideas what the next generation top-of -the line Nikon will offer? In terms of MPs, sensor size, frame rate, etc?
The "Top of the Line" Nikon is currently the D2Xs. You can get one for approximately $4295 at B&H after shopping cart discount:

Nikon D2Xs at B&H

The D2Xs was only announced in June of this year, and most manufacturers have a 18-24 month (or sometimes longer) lifecycle for their higher end cameras.

Now, given that it was an upgrade to the existing D2X (versus an entirely new camera), it's possible Nikon would introduce a newer model to replace it (since the D2X was first launched in 2004). You'll just have to wait and see what they have planned.

They're not going to announce a new product too far in advance of it being ready without good reason (i.e., they want to convince people wait on it versus buy a different brand). Otherwise, it could hurt sales of existing cameras. I am not aware of what Nikon's future plans are.

Old Nov 26, 2006, 11:15 AM   #7

Hey, thats really good info about the memory card speed. Thanks! Also, it figures that they wouldn't announce new features too soon.. Guess I'll just have to wait and see. Thanks again.